View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #810
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Le Sab:

This was one of the better reads I've had this week. Visits some of the same topics in a more earthly format.

Really need to play this game.

---

It's certainly well written, but two words come to mind while reading it -- twee and precious. People from Brooklyn (and London) have an incessant need to put themselves at the center of everything*. The writers must be of The Millenial generation that this game wants to harken to.

*- My sister's best friend got a book deal for learning how to orgasm. Yeah, like that needed to be added to the canon.

I'm reminded of a quote by Roger Ebert from his review of Spielberg's take on A.I.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
"What responsibility does a human have to a robot that genuinely loves?" the film asks, and the answer is: none. Because the robot does not genuinely love. It genuinely only seems to love. We are expert at projecting human emotions into non-human subjects, from animals to clouds to computer games, but the emotions reside only in our minds.

Substitute 'kills' and/or 'dies' for love and 'Jason Brody' and/or 'pirate/PMC soldier' for robot, and the answer is the same: none. Especially when each and every one of those paper tigers looks remarkably like the one directly to his left. Those hive personalities all seem to have gotten the clap from the same lady of the night because they didn't want to use a rubber. They all hate the heat, too.

Jason Brody is worse than a ridiculous protagonist; he's a boring protagonist. He's bereft of a personality aside from an assortment of pop culture references. In fact, once certain true personalities make their eventual exit, the entire archipelago loses much of its appeal. So much so that it's not worth delving back into once the campaign has reached its... well, conclusion.

Forget all the "ludonarrative dissonance" nonsense and what being good @ killing 'people' in video games says about you. It means: You have a lot of patience and well-developed twitch reflexes.

This smug, self-satisfied arse is the game's writer. Everything you need (or would want) to know can be surmised from this photo.

If you're reading this and want to peruse his Deep Thoughts, please go here.

The one line of interest -- of feeling out of place, an anachronism, and wanting to reinvent oneself -- isn't new. No, it's been a staple of fiction for decades. Regrettably, that entire tack is lost with the bogus endings. Not flawed, bogus. If the writer had employed such tropes as pacing, narrative coherence, and characterization, then Far Cry 3 might, might have succeeded in its goals.

Did you even like it? Of course. It was entertaining. Highly entertaining. It's just not anything particularly profound or special. More though once Finn starts a playthrough.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote