Watchmen

00Kevin

Indyfan
so excited! I think i'm going to shave my head and get some kind of blue body paint to go as dr. manhattan!

The Man

TV Spots...

No. 9
<object width="450" height="244"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/9195"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/9195" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="244"></embed></object>​

Dr Bones

Picked up the book yesterday. Always been a comic book fan but never read Watchmen. I guess I got stuck in my ways reading Spidey and Bats and didn't like the ideas of a new take on the genre.
I am not a sheep and got sick of the hype and the "Oh you must have read Watchmen if you call yourself a comic book fan!" :sick:

Anyway, curiousity got the better of me 20ish years on. Half way through and well it's...erm...different. Kind of predictable and almost mysanthropic like I expected of Moore (A very British writing sensibility). Enjoying it so far though.

If they can translate the source material to film (from the trailers it look like they have it spot on) fans should be pretty pleased.

DocWhiskey

Dr Bones said:
Picked up the book yesterday. Always been a comic book fan but never read Watchmen. I guess I got stuck in my ways reading Spidey and Bats and didn't like the ideas of a new take on the genre.
I am not a sheep and got sick of the hype and the "Oh you must have read Watchmen if you call yourself a comic book fan!" :sick:

Anyway, curiousity got the better of me 20ish years on. Half way through and well it's...erm...different. Kind of predictable and almost mysanthropic like I expected of Moore (A very British writing sensibility). Enjoying it so far though.

If they can translate the source material to film (from the trailers it look like they have it spot on) fans should be pretty pleased.

In this day and age with the hype surrounding the movie, it's normal for the graphic novel to not meet high expectations.

It's hard to explain what I think of Watchmen.

It's not my favorite graphic novel, it's up there, but not my favorite. But I do think it's the best graphic novel of all time. Like, when I started reading it and then finished it I just nodded and said, "Yup. I could see why people say this."

I enjoy reading it. I've read it more than once. And I love it. But I don't know, I get more joy out of other graphic novels. I can't explain it really.

I believe Watchmen is the best graphic novel there is but just not my favorite.

Make sense?

caats

i didn't read it til recently too. I didn't really find it all that "different", or a new take. but that's obv cause i read it 20 years later from when it changed comics to be like it. i think it's aaaawfully wordy, which is a moore thing i guess. i'm not big on massive text bubbles in comics. all the Mars scenes were really tenuous for me to read.

also, funny how it's turned into a "graphic novel" when it's really a comic mini series since it was released in issues and not all at once.

it's also not one of my favs, but i can see why people dig it. there's a few recent mini-series i dig more

DocWhiskey

Most graphic novels are a collection of individual story arcs though. Plus "graphic novel" sounds better then "comic book mini series" I guess.

Dr Bones

I agree..although only half way through...I like it but it isn't shaping up to be my favourite all time graphic novel.

Yes, very wordy and a hard read. Now I read a lot of books and this is not to dumb down graphic novels, but the heavy text interupts the flow in a bad way.
Almost tempted to skip a lot of it as it seems to be completeley irrelevent or ephemeral.

I have read several better graphic novels more worthy of such acclaim, but it is good.

Very dated, but good.

YouNeverKnow

If you're only halfway through, do not discount the "ephemera". Lots of that stuff is there and contains more tangible substance after you are already acquainted with the whole story.

Dr Bones

YouNeverKnow said:
If you're only halfway through, do not discount the "ephemera". Lots of that stuff is there and contains more tangible substance after you are already acquainted with the whole story.

Thanks, bearing with it! ;)

agentsands77

I love WATCHMEN, but I believe Moore's FROM HELL is truly his masterpiece. It's an extraordinarily rich work, and in many ways a more impressive accomplishment than WATCHMEN.

Though those of you who dislike Moore's wordiness will also hate it in FROM HELL, where he devotes a single chapter to give its central character one very long, intense speech, far denser than any of the exchanges in WATCHMEN.

The Man

agentsands77 said:
I love WATCHMEN, but I believe Moore's FROM HELL is truly his masterpiece. It's an extraordinarily rich work, and in many ways a more impressive accomplishment than WATCHMEN.

Though those of you who dislike Moore's wordiness will also hate it in FROM HELL, where he devotes a single chapter to give its central character one very long, intense speech, far denser than any of the exchanges in WATCHMEN.

How did Moore react to the Hughes Brothers' movie..?

caats

DocWhiskey said:
Most graphic novels are a collection of individual story arcs though. Plus "graphic novel" sounds better then "comic book mini series" I guess.

yeah, technically they're "trades" but whatev. doesn't really matter.

DocWhiskey

caats said:
yeah, technically they're "trades" but whatev. doesn't really matter.

Yeah you're right. They're more commonly called Trade Paperbacks. I get confused sometimes. Need to take my medicine.

Stoo

O.K. Wow, man...I just saw a sneak-peek on the UK's Film 4 channel and Jackie Earle Haley is particpating in the movie! JEH played the tough, dirt-bike-ridin'-home-run-hitter, Kelly Leak, in the original "Bad News Bears" trilogy. He was also in an episode of the "Planet of the Apes" TV series, 1977's "Damnation Alley", 1979's "Breaking Away", "The Love Boat", "The Waltons" and Saturday morning's "Shazam!" on CBS, etc.

Cool to see him working again.:cool:

kellyamanda.jpg

kellyleak.jpg

I read "Watchmen" back in the late '80s and am looking forward to the movie.(y) Apparently, he's doing the voice for Rorschach?
Love or hate CGI, the cinematic manifestation of this tale has been waiting for it.