Customizing Indy Figures

Billy Ray

I always thought that the SDCC exclusive "ultimate" Indy figure had the best sculpt:

IMG_41862.JPG

The jury is still out on whether or not it's the same as the ToD sculpt...Hasbro claimed it was a "new sculpt" at the time but if so, they are pretty darned close:

IMG_41921.JPG

IMG_41941.JPG

Lance Quazar

Billy Ray said:
I always thought that the SDCC exclusive "ultimate" Indy figure had the best sculpt:

Billy Ray!!! Alright!!!

Yeah, I always liked that sculpt. It looks great. The ToD figure, too. But it was never quite my favorite since it doesn't quite have the personality that feels Indy to me.

I think I like the Crystal Skull Indy best, even though he's got no hat and has the aged hairstyle (and is from friggin' Crystal Skull!)

Kevin

I do think the SDCC and TOD sculpts are the same, just slight paint differences. The Crystal Skull sculpt was the closest to Ford, if you paint the hair brown, slice off the top of the head, and glue a non-removable hat on top, it looks pretty good. But the best "no customization required" head has to be the one from the temple pitfall set (assuming a good paint job).

I sure do miss walking into stores and seeing these on the shelves. It was a great line, and a blast to collect, I can't believe it's been seven years already! Glad to see folks are still having fun customizing them.

Billy Ray

Yeah, I got a temple pitfall Indy with and awesome paint job. I put it on a KOTCS Indy body and it is probably my favorite of all my Indys:

Indy_058.jpg

Lance Quazar

Kevin said:
I sure do miss walking into stores and seeing these on the shelves. It was a great line, and a blast to collect, I can't believe it's been seven years already! Glad to see folks are still having fun customizing them.

Yeah, me too. Every time I walk into my local toy store (which isn't very often these days), I pass by where the Indy toys used to be and give those shelves a wistful glance.

Wish the line had lasted at least another year.

Billy Ray said:
Yeah, I got a temple pitfall Indy with and awesome paint job. I put it on a KOTCS Indy body and it is probably my favorite of all my Indys:

I deeply regret never having bought a Temple Pitfall. That and Temple Trap were the only toys in the line I never bought, even though I knew the Pitfall had a great looking Indy sculpt. (And, come on, they may be silly but they look super fun.)

Now I'm too afraid to buy it on ebay since it's impossible to tell from the pics if the figure has decent paint apps or one of those slop jobs from early in the line's release.

Billy Ray

I know what you mean, those paint jobs were pretty hit or miss. I actually had already bought the Temple Pitfall set but when I saw the paint job on the one I posted I had to buy it. I actually bought seconds of a few figures just because I found some with way better paint apps. The Indy that came with the Akator playset I got was worlds better than the initial carded Indy I got and I am pretty sure I picked up a Marion that was a lot better too.

Stoo

Stumbled upon something which you customizers might appreciate. I think it looks great.

From a Malaysian guy named, Tommy Lin.
https://tommylinspace.wordpress.com/2010/03/26/custom-indy-figures-old-indiana-jones/

Old Indy Recipe:
Head ? Palpatine (?Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith?)
Torso, legs ? Henry Jones (?Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?)
Arms, jacket ? Monkey Man (?Raiders of the Lost Ark?)
Hands ? German Soldier (?Raiders of the Lost Ark?)
Hat ? Indiana Jones (?Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?)

c2020baa7b0c3e9254ad2ef5ec02144b.jpg

c1025d843a439342d25f81969b935d16.jpg

087ee6f81f0e7662a90712e51eb1ba7e.jpg

Lance Quazar

Tommy Lin has been making outstanding Indy figures for years and years now. Haven't seen this new Old Indy yet, but it's another masterpiece. (The Palpatine head works perfectly!)

Definitely check out his site, everyone, and click through pages and pages of extraordinary customs!

inky_skin

Now *this* is archaeology!

Hard to believe that I took my first foray into action figure customising at the height of the Indy line a decade ago.

While I've still been cranking out figures from different franchises in the intervening years, it's been an age since I've revisited Dr Jones.

Was never happy with the pre-posed legs and inaccurate fedora bash. So, one pair of "Hannibal Smith" lower extremities and a custom head later...

And for those who are curious, my first Indy custom from back in 2008..."Raven Bar Indy"...

Last edited:

hemble

inky_skin said:
Now *this* is archaeology!

Hard to believe that I took my first foray into action figure customising at the height of the Indy line a decade ago.

While I've still been cranking out figures from different franchises in the intervening years, it's been an age since I've revisited Dr Jones.

Was never happy with the pre-posed legs and inaccurate fedora bash. So, one pair of "Hannibal Smith" lower extremities and a custom head later...

And for those who are curious, my first Indy custom from back in 2008..."Raven Bar Indy"...

Damn he looks awesome inky.

Ron

j_3_h

This is a work in progress, but I wanted to show what I’ve done so far with repurposing an older Playmobil temple playset. This set has been re-released several times in different configurations, but only the first version comes with the base/stairs. I’ve repainted it and added a mess of accessories/trees/plants and have some more stuff on the way to add/swap out.

I’m probably going to paint the trees and plants to make them look less plastic-y.

michael

j_3_h said:
This is a work in progress, but I wanted to show what I?ve done so far with repurposing an older Playmobil temple playset. This set has been re-released several times in different configurations, but only the first version comes with the base/stairs. I?ve repainted it and added a mess of accessories/trees/plants and have some more stuff on the way to add/swap out.

I?m probably going to paint the trees and plants to make them look less plastic-y.

Looks great!!

Lance Quazar

j_3_h said:
This is a work in progress, but I wanted to show what I’ve done so far with repurposing an older Playmobil temple playset. This set has been re-released several times in different configurations, but only the first version comes with the base/stairs. I’ve repainted it and added a mess of accessories/trees/plants and have some more stuff on the way to add/swap out.

I’m probably going to paint the trees and plants to make them look less plastic-y.

Holy smokes, this is absolutely phenomenal and the first thing I went to do was search for this playset online. Alas, couldn't find one with the stairs, as you pointed out.

But, after seeing pictures of the original toy, your spectacular paint job as transformed this item from a simple child's toy into a nearly photo-realistic diorama. It's just fantastic! Bravo!!! I wish I had your skills (and a playset with the stairs) to attempt something similar, it would be the crown jewel and centerpiece of any Indy collection.

Bravo!!!!!

edited to add: And your atmosphere photography here adds so much! This is just terrific all around!

j_3_h

Thank you so much guys!
I really appreciate you taking the time to look at the pics and for the comments on my display.
I will be adding some updated pics soon. I just got another one of these sets (well, the walls anyway in a parts lot) which I am in the process of reconfiguring to be interior walls to give the Idol inside a much nicer photo friendly background.

j_3_h

Lance Quazar said:
Holy smokes, this is absolutely phenomenal and the first thing I went to do was search for this playset online. Alas, couldn't find one with the stairs, as you pointed out.

Yeah, the version with the dinosaur is what is available now, which isn?t as nice.
The original set with the base was called Playmobil 3015 Jungle Ruins

There is another set, Playmobil 4842 treasure temple with guards, that I was tempted to pick up, but ultimately went with the ruins set. That one may work for you.

Good luck on your search!

Lance Quazar

j_3_h said:
The original set with the base was called Playmobil 3015 Jungle Ruins

Ohhhhhh! Okay, those are widely available at a pretty reasonable price on ebay. I'm SO tempted, but my Indy display shelf is already jammed. And I know I'd never do as good a job painting it as you (and without the paint job, it just looks too plastic, too much like a toy.)

For you, I'd recommend hitting up a craft store like Michael's, they sell all kinds of moss and greenery that might look great draped off your temple, a more "realistic"-looking option than the plastic trees.

Lance Quazar

Well, since the Raven is back up, it's time to juice up this old thread (my favorite in the forum by far) with a couple of my recent-ish custom creations!

So presenting white suite Rene Belloq and a quick kitbash of a Streets of Cairo Indy!

3vwOnGYV_o.jpg

JrNfdFQJ_o.jpg

A6o3RLfl_o.jpg

8ojf1gLH_o.jpg

0ueSppvO_o.jpg