Lost Tales

Flannery10

Nope, it's coming out good.

Another one of Indy's 1905 adventures. I read an article on starwars.com a while ago, indicating what most of the unproduced episodes would have been about. Did you read that one and made the 1905 idea into another story or did you work everything out on your own again.

Anyway, I really liked your first two stories, and I'm looking forward to read the 3rd one.

Junior Jones

The "Early May" Princeton story was based on a one-sentence description of the lost episode that I found long ago. It basically said "Young Indy meets Paul Robeson in Princeton" and I had to make up the rest.

The new "Late May" episode is based on the longer description in that starwars.com article with the Captain Kidd treasure hunt. It's all finished, but I've got someone proofreading/editing it for me and she's not done yet. I hope to have it up very soon.

muttjones

Junior Jones said:
Uh oh. I did this at home, but it's coming up fine on my work computer.

Make sure you're using the new link (in post #18) and not the original one.

Is anyone else having this problem?

it isn't working. Is it because i have a Mac? Can anyone think of any explanation why?

Junior Jones

Tum-ta-da-da!! (trumpet fanfare)

Announcing another new episode of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles!
"Princeton, Late May 1905" can be found at my website, Indiana Jones and the Lost Tales. Just go to the main page and click on the link. (Bonus points to anyone who can identify my inspiration for Young Indy's friends.)

Also premiering at my site, a new chapter in The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones!
(Taking my cue from Uncle George, I took my two Princeton episodes, deleted the bookends, and added an awkward bridging sequence to connect the otherwise unrelated stories. I think it works quite well. :rolleyes: )

Anyway, enjoy the new story and please let me know what you think. I'm always trying to improve, and constructive criticism is welcome.

Flannery10

I already finished your story! Really good job, JuniorJones. I really like the way you write, and I'm looking forward to read more stories of you.

I'm afraid I couldn't identify your inspiration for Indy's friends, but maybe it'll come to me, soon. I'm a little surprised, you didn't include any historical figures, but still excellent story!

Junior Jones

Flannery10 said:
I already finished your story! Really good job, JuniorJones. I really like the way you write, and I'm looking forward to read more stories of you.

Thanks for the compliments.

Flannery10 said:
I'm afraid I couldn't identify your inspiration for Indy's friends, but maybe it'll come to me, soon.

I'll reveal later, if nobody gets it.

Flannery10 said:
I'm a little surprised, you didn't include any historical figures, but still excellent story!

Paul Robeson is in it, though not as a main character. And I did some historical research on Captain Kidd.

Stoo

Lord Excalibur said:
Indy would maybe have met Selma Lagerlöf during the Nobel Prize. You the writer of Nils Holgersson's wonderful travels (I don't know the title on English). Selma took the Nobel Prize in 1909
Finn said:
<i>The Wonderful Adventures of Nils</i>, also known as <i>The Journey of the Little One</i>. Liked this one a lot when I was a kid, my mom used to read it to me.
WOW! These 2 posts are from 2004 and were pretty much a dead-on prediction!(y)

Junior Jones said:
Anyway, enjoy the new story and please let me know what you think. I'm always trying to improve, and constructive criticism is welcome.
Finally read the Princeton stories and must say I really enjoyed them! You captured the flavour and tone of the "Chronicles" accurately
which made it natural to visualize the shenanigans of a young, Corey Carrier running around 1905 Princeton. The stories are well executed
imaginings of what-might-have-been with the 2nd part being my favourite of the pair. Your research and familiarity with the series delivers
the necessary, atmospheric detail and the Old Indy bookends were a perfect touch. Any more in store?
Hats off to you, Junior Jones!:hat:

Flannery10 said:
I'm a little surprised, you didn't include any historical figures, but still excellent story!
Well, besides Paul, there was Woodrow Wilson and Grover Cleveland.;)

Junior Jones said:
(Bonus points to anyone who can identify my inspiration for Young Indy's friends.)
Here's my take. (Some images are from Curse of the Jackal, "bon voyage" shots, deleted on DVD):

The bespectacled, Darwood Kaye:

Darwood_1.jpg

Henry Jr.'s chubby pal, Eugene:

Eugene_1.jpg

Billie. Paul Robeson's neighbour (who, I suspect, was probably the kid supposed to be Paul, himself.):

Billie_1.jpg

George (name inspired by Lucas?):

George_1.jpg

Carl (inspired by director, Carl Schultz?) who seems to be the the new owner of Henry Jr.'s Dog:

Carl_1.jpg

Jewel:

Jewel_1.jpg

Junior Jones

Stoo, you are unbelievably AWESOME!!!
(But no, those aren't my specific inspirations for Indy's friends. :D )

I watched the beginning of My First Adventure and the opening bookends for Curse of the Jackal (thanks to StooTV) for atmosphere, but I didn't pick out individual kids and make characters out of them. But after reading Stoo's analysis and looking at the pictures, I wish I had. I may have to change my story and claim that that's what I had done all along. It's just too perfect! Even better than the truth!

By the way, Jewel is Jewel Williams, the girl mechanic from the "Princeton, February 1916" episode (a.k.a. the first half of Spring Break Adventure). The rest of the gang is based on (and named after) another gang of kids. So keep guessing.

muttjones

right now i'm reading idylls of youth and i'm really enjoying it.

I love the way you right. you are very talented.

have you tried scripts?

Junior Jones

Thanks for the compliments.

I haven't tried writing film scripts, but I did write a stage play called Nothing But the Truth which was published by Pioneer Drama Service.

Besides writing Indiana Jones stories for fun, I've written a manuscript for a novel and am working on a second one. I haven't found any publishers willing to do anything with them, but I'm not giving up.

Flannery10

Great ideas, Stoo. As for the historical persons, I was referring to the second part of the story, because I have read the first part with Indy's sister long before that.

Stoo

Junior Jones said:
Stoo, you are unbelievably AWESOME!!!
(But no, those aren't my specific inspirations for Indy's friends. :D )

I watched the beginning of My First Adventure and the opening bookends for Curse of the Jackal (thanks to StooTV) for atmosphere, but I didn't pick out individual kids and make characters out of them. But after reading Stoo's analysis and looking at the pictures, I wish I had. I may have to change my story and claim that that's what I had done all along. It's just too perfect! Even better than the truth!
Ha ha!:D Can I still collect some "bonus points"?:p One thing to add is that George & Carl should be switched.
Carl should be the blonde kid and George the other. It's more fitting that Henry Jr. passes off his dog, Indiana,
to a black-haired kid named George! Otherwise, yes, those characters resemble yours so closely that I was
sure they were the basis. How uncanny is that?

By the way, Jewel is Jewel Williams, the girl mechanic from the "Princeton, February 1916" episode (a.k.a. the first half of Spring Break Adventure). The rest of the gang is based on (and named after) another gang of kids. So keep guessing.
Ah, yes, the girl mechanic! I never even thought to investigate that episode! Nice one.(y)
Maybe Young Jewel is in the classroom with the rest of the girls? They're all toghether on the left side.
So, Jewel Williams, eh? Sister to future RAF pilot, Colin Williams, perhaps?

As for the gang's inspiration, I'm at a loss. It's not Little Rascals or the Red Hand Gang.
What decade are we talking, here? Or, would that clue give the answer away?

Flannery10 said:
Great ideas, Stoo. As for the historical persons, I was referring to the second part of the story, because I have read the first part with Indy's sister long before that.
Oh, O.K. Gotcha!;) Thanks!

Junior Jones

Stoo said:
As for the gang's inspiration, I'm at a loss. It's not Little Rascals or the Red Hand Gang. What decade are we talking, here? Or, would that clue give the answer away?

Enough with the guessing games. Actually Stoo, you got it without knowing it. I took their names, descriptions, and basic personality traits from Our Gang / Little Rascals of the mid-thirties. (I even referred to them as "the gang" several times as a hint.)

George "Spanky" McFarland
Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer
Billie "Buckwheat" Thomas
Eugene "Porky" Lee
Darwood "Waldo" Kaye
(I replaced Darla Hood with Jewel Williams, since Darla didn't use a stage name and it would have been too obvious.)

Stoo said:
Any more in store?
Eventually I'd like to tell my version of all the unproduced episodes. After "Melbourne", I was going to do them in order (which is why "Princeton 1905" was next), but in the spirit of the original series I think I'll mix them up. I'm already doing research for a teenage Indy story next.

Stoo

Junior Jones said:
Enough with the guessing games. Actually Stoo, you got it without knowing it. I took their names, descriptions, and basic personality traits from Our Gang / Little Rascals of the mid-thirties. (I even referred to them as "the gang" several times as a hint.)
Wow. I used to watch them on Sunday mornings but never knew their real names so, kudos to you. Nice reference!

Junior Jones said:
Eventually I'd like to tell my version of all the unproduced episodes. After "Melbourne", I was going to do them in order (which is why "Princeton 1905" was next), but in the spirit of the original series I think I'll mix them up. I'm already doing research for a teenage Indy story next.
Keep going! I've been making some artwork for "Jerusalem, June 1909" but may stop and make a cover for your Princeton tales.;)
Let me know what you're planning on next and maybe I can cook something up, image-wise...

Junior Jones

Finally, a long overdue update at The Lost Tales of Indiana Jones.

New adventures have been added to the timeline. (Stoo, I hope you don't mind. I added a link to your YouTube channel.)

Also a new episode of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is up now: Le Havre, June 1916.

Looking back over previous posts, I had forgotten about the offers to contribute. Stoo, I'd love to see covers for my stories. I did one in colored pencil for Melbourne, but I'm obviously no artist. (I saw your mockup of a cover for the Jerusalem episode, and it's great.)

As for other contributions, I do a lot of historical research, and any information or advice is gladly accepted. But I love doing the writing, and I'd like to keep that to myself. (I'm not discouraging anyone from writing their own version of the unproduced episodes, though.) What kind of contribution did you have in mind, Crack?

Anyway, enjoy the new story and let me know what you think.(y) (n)

AnnieJones

Here is the answer(I put on the Unfilmed episodes of Young Indy thread)to the question you asked me(on the Unfilmed episodes of Young Indy thread).

Junior Jones said:
Well, taking my cue from George Lucas, I took two episodes (Princeton, Early May 1905 and Princeton, Late May 1905) removed the bookends, added some awkward bridging material, and edited them together into one long story.
Good idea doing stories with what you have to work with!(y)
Junior Jones said:
Have you read any of them, Annie? What do you think?
I read the first page of each story and from what I read I really like what you have done.(y) I like(what I read so far)the four stories that I read.

What I like about The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Princeton,Early May 1905 was how you worked his sister,Susie,into the story. http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/chronicles/

What I like about both The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Princeton,Early May 1905 and The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Princeton,Late May 1905 was how you put Indiana the dog into the stories and how you managed to put "little Paul" into the stories as well. http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/chronicles/
http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/chronicles/index_files/Page364.htm

What I like about the one with Houdini,The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Melbourne,1910,is that you used Daredevils of the Desert Palestine,October 1917 as your source of information.I always wondered what that story was going to be like. http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/index_files/Page461.htm

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Palestine,October 1917(1993) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0752181/
Jack: If you?d ever been to Australia, you?d know what I was talking about.
Indiana Jones: Well actually I have been to Australia...
Jack: You?ve been to Australia? (laughs) Good on you, sport.
Dix: God?s own country, right?
Indy: That?s right. It was great. Actually I flew an airplane with Harry Houdini.
Dix: S?truth?
Jack: He?s pulling your leg.
Dix: Are you?
Indy: No, it?s true. It?s great though. I love Australia.

I also like the drawing for this story. http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/index_files/Page446.htm

I found a website about Houdini in Australia(in real history).Here it is,if someone else hasn't already put it up on this thread: http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/houdini_bio.html

What I thought was funny about The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Le Havre,June 1916 was when Indy couldn't remember his own "age" when Sergeant Bedeaux asked Indy how old he was and he had to try and remember it right there on the spot.Very creative.(y)

?How old are you, Defense??

?Twe? um? Twenty-two,? he stammered, trying to remember the birth date he had put on his enlistment form.

Stoo

Junior Jones said:
New adventures have been added to the timeline. (Stoo, I hope you don't mind. I added a link to your YouTube channel.)

Also a new episode of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is up now: Le Havre, June 1916.

Anyway, enjoy the new story and let me know what you think.(y) (n)
No, I don't mind the link. Any Young Indy fan who is hardcore enough to visit your site deserves to see the bookends. Now, onto your story...

Again, you've managed to capture the feel of the series tremendously. I could actually picture the scenes playing out in my mind. The historical references, as well as nods to other episodes in the series, make it believable & enjoyable.

Compliments & Questions
-Very cool that you included Emile and Jacques. (You also mentioned Flanders & Capt. Cote which was a nice, linear reference and a shade of things to come.)
-You used Jean Renoir well but I'm intrigued by this Donald Thompson fellow. I'm very interested in the early cinematographers of pre-WW1 battles (primarily the Boer War) but am not familiar with his name. A lot of familiar WW1 footage was staged for the camera so I'll be looking into this guy.
-The bookends were spot-on. Would these take place immediately before or after the ones for "London"?
-"Baudet": Is that Remy calling the Sgt. a donkey after a "Baudet de Poitou"?
-I actually LEARNED something! Not only was I unfamiliar with Donald Thompson but I NEVER KNEW that C.Chaplin was known as Charlot!

Critiques (purely technical):
-When Indy says, "Henri Defense, sir", he probably should have called him "Sergeant" instead of "Sir" since they were on parade.
-“What are filming for?” Jean asked. (Should have a "you", no?)
-Indy & Jacques having the rank of corporal. I've always imagined both of them being promoted in the field, in Flanders, rather than during basic training.
-Like you, I've always spelled Remy's last name as Beaudoin (because I know some personally) but all legit references to his surname spell it as Baudoin. Both are variations of the same family name.

By no means am I suggesting that you should fix those minor details but just wanted to point them out because I know you like learning about "stuff".:hat:
Junior Jones said:
Looking back over previous posts, I had forgotten about the offers to contribute. Stoo, I'd love to see covers for my stories. I did one in colored pencil for Melbourne, but I'm obviously no artist. (I saw your mockup of a cover for the Jerusalem episode, and it's great.)
Thanks, Junior. Your artwork is pretty good for someone who is "obviously no artist". Yes, I would love to do some graphics for your Lost Tales (and ALL the other unfilmed episodes) but can't promise you anything soon. One thing's for sure is that is your stories are a rich starting point for image research.

So, what's on deck for your next project? I have some good info/images & the PERFECT MAP for "Jerusalem" should you ever decide to tackle that one (which should be LAST, in my opinion.;)) It would be my pleasure to provide you with all the documentation I've collected.

Junior Jones

Thanks for the kind words, Stoo. I tell people that I just write these stories for my own pleasure, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit to enjoying the positive feedback too.

Stoo said:
-You used Jean Renoir well but I'm intrigued by this Donald Thompson fellow. I'm very interested in the early cinematographers of pre-WW1 battles (primarily the Boer War) but am not familiar with his name. A lot of familiar WW1 footage was staged for the camera so I'll be looking into this guy.

Thompson's name came from Pablo Hidalgo's "Lost Chronicles" article, and I had never heard of him before either. After a lot of googling, I found some of his films available on DVD, and one of the sites had a two-paragraph biography. That's all I had to go on until the story was almost done. Then I found Fighting in Flanders by E Alexander Powell, which by all accounts is a highly exaggerated account of Thompson and Powell's early adventures in the Great War.

Stoo said:
-The bookends were spot-on. Would these take place immediately before or after the ones for "London"?

They're supposed to take place after the London bookends. I needed some legal trouble for Old Indy, and remembered his accountant asking about receipts. I probably wouldn't have done it that way, though, if I had recognized earlier that my Le Havre episode and bookends are both preceeded by the London episode AND bookends, too. (I take perverse pleasure in the fact that the "Chronicles" are not chronological.)

Stoo said:
-"Baudet": Is that Remy calling the Sgt. a donkey after a "Baudet de Poitou"?

Actually, since my French is tres mal, I looked up jackass in a French/English dictionary and found "Baudet". I hoped I was using it correctly.

Stoo said:
Your artwork is pretty good for someone who is "obviously no artist".

My "artwork" is actually freestyle tracing, but thanks anyway.

Stoo said:
So, what's on deck for your next project? I have some good info/images & the PERFECT MAP for "Jerusalem" should you ever decide to tackle that one (which should be LAST, in my opinion.;)) It would be my pleasure to provide you with all the documentation I've collected.

I haven't decided on my next project yet, but I don't think I want to tackle "Jerusalem" any time soon. I'm a little nervous about introducing Abner, since everyone has their own idea of what he's like. Same for Belloq's introduction in "Honduras". I plan to do them eventually, but not yet. When I do decide what's next, I'll let you know.

Hello!

Sorry I arrived 7 years late to the party! I'm a big of fan of the Young Indy Chronicles and the fan fiction works mentioned in this thread have me very interested, but it seems that there's something wrong with the links :(. A blank screen with with a message appears saying: "Forbidden: you don't have permission to access /~pandersonfam/ on this server". Is there another way these stories can be shared, as I would love to read them! :hat: