Trilogy Scripts (1979-1988)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stumbled upon some super-collectors' sites: Nuno Miranda and indignate.

Fifth draft of Raiders, April 1980!
original-4c9f153e893e8-Indiana+Jones+And+The+Raiders+Of+The+Lost+Ark+%281981%29.jpeg

Temple of Death, 3/1/83!
IJTD_script.jpg

original-4c9e2a02d569d-Indiana+Jones+And+The+Temple+Of+Doom+%281984%29.jpeg

A fourth draft of Crusade, May 8, 1988! (just like at the Christie's auction)
IJLC+-+script+1+%5Bwm%5D.jpg

original-4c9dfbe98293b-Indiana+Jones+And+The+Last+Crusade+%281989%29.jpeg

Three uncirculated drafts still out there plus plenty of goodies...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Temple of Death is dated only 9 days before a draft we've got, so probably no crocodile wrestling scene. Still would be nice to peruse.

Dr. Gonzo

I have to say Moedred, you are one of the heroes of this board. You and Stoo are definite creme de la creme.
One thing I am extensively passionate about are different drafts of some of my favorite films. And your work on getting access to these scripts and your script lists are very much appreciated on my end...

...and I'm still actively trying to find Jeff Nathanson's "Indy 4" draft. I had a lead but I was being BS'ed. So hopefully if I ever find that draft, it will be my lasting contribution to this place.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for hunting, Gonzo! Unproduced drafts are hard to find but something like Nathanson's will remain a hot item. Even Julian Assange took (partial) credit for leaking Koepp's.

Hopefully libraries will start scanning their unique collections instead of keeping them behind glass. Many were hoping the Eastern New Mexico University in Portales would do a better job of showing Leigh Brackett's draft of Empire, then all of a sudden it leaked from elsewhere.

There are some fans who only want a transcript, some who dismiss early drafts as non-canonical (!) or figure one draft per feature is enough. I consider them the sacred texts of the franchise delivered from on high.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned elsewhere, I acquired a fifth draft of Raiders and am considering the best scanner to get it online.

I discovered many script sellers have no idea what draft they're sitting on, so I started a collection of title pages for them and us. Currently it's images of scripts we don't have. At the risk of violating the Raven's eBay rule, here's a link to the expired auction from which I pulled a Crusade second draft image. Dated 7 days before the draft we have, and summarized by Rinzler in my previous post, so I can live without it... for now. :)

And here's a future auction where I grabbed another image of a Crusade fourth draft. Notice how all 4 apparently come from the same fax transmission... I tried to arrange them by their likely reproductive lineage. I would wager this is the draft we'll acquire next. Keep looking!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Fifth draft is up!

Used default settings for the ADF, 300x300 DPI, and it's just under 10 MB, relatively large but not huge.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Indymag said:
Is it important enough for us to look at buying it?
No, one FYC script page says it's the 3/1/83 revision, and all pages are identical. Except the bottom of 57 where the Maharajah "shoops" instead of whoops. And page 1 has no accent on "lame gowns" which might have had to be drawn in. The FYC script has slightly different printer settings which are not right justified.

This script wasn't nominated for any awards so this would have been sent only to voting screenwriters in the first round, not everyone, I think. So kind of rare but not a version we haven't seen.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Wandered back to eBay for the first time in a while.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112976457856
Princeton 1916 returns... for $300. Nope.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112862196251
The Saucer Men script that got me active at the Raven in 2005! On the main site now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323198004560
Nice to see a 4th draft of Raiders in the wild, but not for $250. What might entice me? Maybe a kinky expanded scene 103 with Belloq and Marion in the tent. This is not in the 3rd or 5th draft. Remember in the comic how Belloq said she was no longer of use to him only after their submarine ride? No imagination needed here. Change image size to 1600 to read.

s-l400.jpg