Raiders in Concert: Screenings with Live Orchestra

Stoo

Fantastic, Mick!(y) I was really hoping you'd find out in time and am thrilled that something this special is finally going down under. You're the 1st person I thought of when seeing the Australian dates. Have a great time!:D

Be sure to pay attention during Jock's, "Come on, show a little backbone, will ya?", because it was different at my screening.

---
MODS: Could one of you be so kind as to merge this thread with the other one?
Raiders in Concert: 21st Century Symphony Orchestra

Mickiana

It was by chance I looked when I did. Great fortune! And it is playing in Perth and Sydney too. Im wondering why Melbourne didn't get it. Normally it is Brisbane that misses out. The last time I was in that auditorium was to hear a thousand voice choir. Now I will be hearing a whole movie's score by JW.

I will watch out for Jock's scene. Ta. :D

Mickiana

The Concert was excellent. The music was the centre of attention of course. I wish to describe my experiences in detail but I do not want to create any particular expectations amongst those yet to attend.

I think I will just say that watching the Queensland Symphony Orchestra play the score underneath the movie was very enjoyable and I was interested to see how certain technicalities worked out.

And Stoo, I think I know what you mean in the Jock scene. I think the same actually happened when Indy went to the bar at Belloq's behest and asked the first swarthy Arab if he was looking for him. Again, I won't say what it was now, unless you raise the actual issue of course.

Several people attended in Indyesque outfits, nothing too screen accurate. I could have done so myself but decided not to. As it was, I wore my Aldens and hitched my jeans up with my SA military belt. Dressed up and with my shaved head I would have looked like a cross between Indy and the big German mechanic (somewhat confused).

All in all well worth it. Just hearing any Indiana Jones music played live in whatever context will always be enjoyable, but when an excellent Symphony Orchestra is doing it who can say "No"?

ps The very large auditorium was fairly filled up too which was great to see. Plenty of support for this event!

Stoo

Mickiana said:
The Concert was excellent. The music was the centre of attention of course.
Glad you had a wonderful night, Mick!:) Now you have me curious about the audio in the hookah bar scene with Belloq. Please, do tell what you noticed...

During my concert, the score was so perfectly executed that it was easy to forget the music was live onstage. It was THAT good! Occasionally, the orchestra was too loud and drowned out the dialogue (ex. "bulldozer to find a China cup" scene) or much too low (ex. the entire basket chase) but the volume never ruined the overall experience. It was immersive, to say the least.

Did you get anything special during your intermission? Just before Part 2 at my showing, we were given a medley of Indy tunes which included about 1 minute of "Scherzo for Motorcycle" from Indy 4. Being my favourite piece from that flick, I was pleasantly surprised.(y)
Mickiana said:
Dressed up and with my shaved head I would have looked like a cross between Indy and the big German mechanic (somewhat confused).
Ha!:) As far as I could tell, there were only 2 people "in costume" at my show. One guy sitting behind wore a fedora and I met a cute, Zurich girl in full regalia while having a smoke outside during intermission. She's an uber-fan so we shared e-mail addresses. Hopefully, Erika will eventually join The Raven.

Our concert in Lucerne was packed (except a few 'nose-bleed' seats). It was almost sold out.

---
Heads-up to Billy Ray and all other Texans:
2 shows in SAN ANTONIO this coming weekend! :whip:

Mickiana

Stoo, firstly, do you agree Jock's voice was dubbed in? It sure sounded like it to me. And the Arab who laughs in Indy's face in the hookah bar had his laugh dubbed in too by the sounds of it. And they played his laughing for longer like an echo dying/receding. I couldn't guess at why this happened.

I agree that at times the live score was beguilingly well done. At these times I had to remember there was an orchestra playing. At other times there were nuance differences, I think perhaps mainly in volume, that made the orchestra more apparent. I enjoyed watching the orchestra ready themselves for their next parts after resting in score-free sections. The Conductor looked quite dynamic and was enjoying the fun and drama of JW's music.

The sound effects were distinctly lowered in volume so as not to compete with the live performance. I found this amusing in a way, as I was surprised at how much impact that sound effects would normally have by virtue of their diminishment in this screening.

At the end of the first half, just prior to intermission, they played a lively piece but I was not able to identify it. Discussing the experience with a fellow and his wife in front of me during the intermission, he said he thought it was from LC.

I walked out with a nice old spell-bound feeling, as I am sure others did, judging by the humming of the main themes by other concert goers on the way back to their rides.

(y)

Stoo

Updated Tour List - More Shows!

29 May - Krakow, POLAND
---
03 Jun - Dublin, IRELAND
03 Jun - Boston, MA
04 Jun - Dublin, IRELAND
04 Jun - Boston, MA (2 shows)
15 Jun - Perth, AUSTRALIA
16 Jun - Perth, AUSTRALIA
19 Jun - Barcelona, SPAIN
20 Jun - Barcelona, SPAIN
24 Jun - Nashville, TN
30 Jun - Chicago, IL
---
01 Jul - Chicago, IL
01 Jul - Houston, TX
02 Jul - Chicago, IL
02 Jul - Houston, TX
09 Jul - Vienna, VA
29 Jul - Sydney, AUSTRALIA
30 Jul - Sydney, AUSTRALIA (2 shows)
---
13 Aug - Irvine, CA
19 Aug - San Diego, CA
26 Aug - Lennox, MA
---
03 Sep - Cuyahoga Falls, OH
04 Sep - Cuyahoga Falls, OH
---
28 Oct - Denver, CO
---
04 Nov - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
05 Nov - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA (2 shows)
05 Nov - Tulsa, OK
05 Nov - Vancouver, CANADA
06 Nov - Vancouver, CANADA
10 Nov - Kansas City, MO
12 Nov - Kansas City, MO
26 Nov - Omaha, NE
---
06 Jan - Rochester, NY
06 Jan - Red Bank, NJ
07 Jan - Newark, NJ
08 Jan - New Brunswick, NJ
---
29 Mar - Toronto, CANADA

http://filmconcertslive.com/movies/raiders-of-the-lost-ark/

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I know I'm a little late to this party but I went to the one in Brisbane back in Feb- whilst the Orchestra did a fantastic job the setup could have been better- the screen was way too small, the music volume was way too low and the cut of the film was slightly different- there were different words in place of others in some lines. Not sure if the cut I'm used to is due to regional versions but it was defs slightly different.

Also for the entr'acte (as in the start of Act 2) they played Adventures of Mutt much to my surprise and that was one of the highlights as I could hear it loud and clear. The second half was better and more audible. I was just a bit sad that the screen wasn't bigger as I still have yet to see Raiders or any of the original three on the big screen. I also would have appreciated some form of special effects on stage- the ark opening was rather anti climatic for what it was supposed to be- maybe a little theatrical fog would have helped. My 2 cents.

Mickiana

Violet said:
I know I'm a little late to this party but I went to the one in Brisbane back in Feb- whilst the Orchestra did a fantastic job the setup could have been better- the screen was way too small, the music volume was way too low and the cut of the film was slightly different- there were different words in place of others in some lines. Not sure if the cut I'm used to is due to regional versions but it was defs slightly different.

Also for the entr'acte (as in the start of Act 2) they played Adventures of Mutt much to my surprise and that was one of the highlights as I could hear it loud and clear. The second half was better and more audible. I was just a bit sad that the screen wasn't bigger as I still have yet to see Raiders or any of the original three on the big screen. I also would have appreciated some form of special effects on stage- the ark opening was rather anti climatic for what it was supposed to be- maybe a little theatrical fog would have helped. My 2 cents.

Hi Violet. Overall I do agree with you. I almost laughed out loud when I saw the size of the screen. But it would take a pretty large screen not to look small in that large venue. I have seen Raiders several times on the big screen since I first saw it back in 1981. One screening was at the Village Twin and the first few moments the movie was purple with wear lines streaking down. It must have been an old copy. It cleared up after a short while and was fine.

As for the recent Raiders In Concert, it was still worth it despite a few shortcomings. The live score was great to watch and listen to.

Stoo

Mickiana said:
Stoo, firstly, do you agree Jock's voice was dubbed in? It sure sounded like it to me. And the Arab who laughs in Indy's face in the hookah bar had his laugh dubbed in too by the sounds of it. And they played his laughing for longer like an echo dying/receding. I couldn't guess at why this happened.
I'm pretty certain that it's an alternate take from the same dubbing/ADR session as heard in the normal, released version. When filming that scene, the plane's engine noise would've completely drowned out the voices (especially with open canopies) so they would have to be dubbed in, no matter what. Watch your DVD and you'll see that Jock & Indy's dialogue isn't 100% synchronized with the movement of their mouths.

Why the difference? The whole film appeared to be an old print because the colours looked faded and the blacks weren't 100% black. Therefore, this anomaly could very well be due to the 'concert version' being a pre-release cut.

Nice spot regarding the laughing Arab at the shisha bar. I didn't catch that and, according to Violet, there were some other differences, as well.
Violet said:
...the cut of the film was slightly different- there were different words in place of others in some lines. Not sure if the cut I'm used to is due to regional versions but it was defs slightly different.
Do you remember what particular differences you noticed? I'm very curious to know and have been waiting to hear from other folks so thanks for chiming in.

Funny that you & Mickiana were at the same concert. You two might have been sitting right next to each other and not even known!
Violet said:
I know I'm a little late to this party...
Better late than never! At least you actually went. It's hard to believe that there were recent concerts in California & London (2 of the highest concentration areas of Indy fandom at The Raven) and NONE of our resident Ravenhead locals bothered to go?:confused: I'm bewildered, nay, flabbergasted by this fact. What the hell?!? :eek:(n)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
It's hard to believe that there were recent concerts in California & London (2 of the highest concentration areas of Indy fandom at The Raven) and NONE of our resident Ravenhead locals bothered to go?:confused: I'm bewildered, nay, flabbergasted by this fact. What the hell?!? :eek:(n)

CA is a big state, you know. I Can't just pop out of Greater Los Angeles to Silicon Valley for a concert one night. I mean, theRaven pays well and all, but not THAT well.

Even Mordy won't let me expense that trips. No matter how we fly:

lao-che-nice-try.jpg

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
CA is a big state, you know. I Can't just pop out of Greater Los Angeles to Silicon Valley for a concert one night.
Excuses, excuses. Geographically, the Golden State is not that big and San Jose is about, what, a 3 hour drive from L.A.?:confused:

It played for 3 nights in San Jose. The week before (on 7th January 2016), you wrote:
Pale Horse said:
As a local, I will certainly check this out.
You "certainly" did not. Shame on you, Paley! :p :whip:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
Excuses, excuses. Geographically, the Golden State is not that big and San Jose is about, what, a 3 hour drive from L.A.?:confused:

It played for 3 nights in San Jose. The week before (on 7th January 2016), you wrote:
You "certainly" did not. Shame on you, Paley! :p :whip:

3. Ha! You talk like a local. :D

Mickiana

Stoo said:
I'm pretty certain that it's an alternate take from the same dubbing/ADR session as heard in the normal, released version. When filming that scene, the plane's engine noise would've completely drowned out the voices (especially with open canopies) so they would have to be dubbed in, no matter what. Watch your DVD and you'll see that Jock & Indy's dialogue isn't 100% synchronized with the movement of their mouths.

Why the difference? The whole film appeared to be an old print because the colours looked faded and the blacks weren't 100% black. Therefore, this anomaly could very well be due to the 'concert version' being a pre-release cut.

Nice spot regarding the laughing Arab at the shisha bar. I didn't catch that and, according to Violet, there were some other differences, as well.
Do you remember what particular differences you noticed? I'm very curious to know and have been waiting to hear from other folks so thanks for chiming in.

Funny that you & Mickiana were at the same concert. You two might have been sitting right next to each other and not even known!
Better late than never! At least you actually went. It's hard to believe that there were recent concerts in California & London (2 of the highest concentration areas of Indy fandom at The Raven) and NONE of our resident Ravenhead locals bothered to go?:confused: I'm bewildered, nay, flabbergasted by this fact. What the hell?!? :eek:(n)

I do admire your forensic analysis, Stoo. Thank god someone does it.

As for recognising Violet in that large venue that was very well attended by the public, good luck to me. :p (Where is an emoticon with Indy's glasses?) But I did wear stronger glasses just for the performance. Violet, did you go in costume? I wore my jacket and Aldens, but thought the hat, whip and bag not really necessary. I saw that a few people of my vintage (later 40s) wore garb akin to the adventurer's outfit.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Mickiana said:
I do admire your forensic analysis, Stoo. Thank god someone does it.

As for recognising Violet in that large venue that was very well attended by the public, good luck to me. :p (Where is an emoticon with Indy's glasses?) But I did wear stronger glasses just for the performance. Violet, did you go in costume? I wore my jacket and Aldens, but thought the hat, whip and bag not really necessary. I saw that a few people of my vintage (later 40s) wore garb akin to the adventurer's outfit.

No I didn't - my Marion cosplay wasn't finished yet (wore that to Gold Coast Supanova with my Indy group which I showed off in my Marion Gear thread) however I was wearing my Headpiece to the Staff of Ra shirt I got from the Indy exhibition as well as wearing my Disney Mickey Indy pins. I saw a couple guys here and there with fedoras.

Stoo- As for the dialogue differences they weren't huge differences but just similar words in place of words I normally heard in the cuts I've seen (can't think of an example right now).

Stoo

Barcelona Screenings

Two days ago, I was walking down the Passeig de Gràcia in Barcelona and stumbled upon a poster for the concert. Unfortunately, the 1st show was the day of my departure (yesterday) so I'm kicking myself for not realizing that I'd be in town at the same time. Could've stayed longer and filmed Jock's scene! AAARGH! What a missed opportunity!:mad:

The 2nd show is TONIGHT so, hopefully, folks from our Spanish contingent can manage to attend. ¡Es muy bueno!(y)

2016_06_18_RaidersLive_small_zpswbx8xc92.jpg

Violet said:
Stoo- As for the dialogue differences they weren't huge differences but just similar words in place of words I normally heard in the cuts I've seen (can't think of an example right now).
Very curious...Too bad you can't remember any examples.:(

IAdventurer01

I was at the Chicago Symphony Raiders concert today and it was fantastic!

I think it was actually a lot more fun than when I saw Raiders in IMAX back at the 30th. At that showing, pretty much everyone in attendance was already pretty well versed in the film, but today's showing at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (CSO) I think had a fair number of casual fans and some who'd never seen it at all! As such, there was great audience reaction to the action and humor throughout.

The elderly couple behind me was a particular delight with gems including: "Oh! Haha! He just shot him!"; Gasps at the reveal that Marion is still alive; and "Whew, just a coat hanger!"

As for the actual show, I agree the picture and other sound could have been better. The action sequences, particularly those without orchestral backing such as the gunfight in the Raven were terribly muted, likely to help bring out the music in other parts. Indiana Jones fights just aren't the same without the full impact of Burtt's punches. The CSO sounded fantastic, though, and even without the shots of the Flying Wing's machine gun and and roar of truck motors, the orchestrated action scenes were crystal clear and had plenty of excitement that they made me as 'giddy as a school boy'.

I also agree there was something up with the scene with Jock. The pacing of the delivery of those lines seemed much slower than I'm used to, but haven't yet popped in my copy to verify. I even turned to the group I was with and gave them a puzzled expression about the lines, but they didn't think anything was wrong. Then again, I probably have a couple dozen more viewings under my belt than them. ;)

There was an intermission and I thought is was a very creative and smooth transitions for where they placed it. I won't spoil where it was, as the placement of the intermission provided a fun debate before the concert began. The overture to begin the second half was "Adventures of Mutt" for some odd reason, but it, too, was well performed and it's one of the best pieces from Crystal Skull, so I'm not complaining.

All-in-all, a great experience and I can't recommend it enough to anyone who's lucky enough for this concert to roll into their town.

jrohrba1

Hey everyone,

Though I saw the Raiders concert in Newark, New Jersey this past weekend (well worth the blizzard), I had to make an account here first before I could post.

The differences in the film at the concert and the actual finished film is what surprised me the most. Having seen Raiders an unhealthy amount of time since I was a kid, the differences really stuck out at me. I certainly really enjoyed it as I felt we got to see a version of Raiders no one will ever see again. I assumed this was perhaps the version of the film Spielberg gave to Williams as a base for his scoring.

- What I noticed first was the alternate take of Jock in the plane. Same lines, but different delivery.
- Many of the sound effects that I knew seemed missing. I did notice sound effects muffled or turned down throughout, but there were definitely some missing. For example no noise really when Indy put his Whisky bottle down on the table when talking to Marion.
- Right when Indy shoots at Toht and the others at the bar, Marion grabs Toht's fedora and says "my hat" or something to that effect it seemed. I never heard her say that before.
- No screaming from the Nepalese man on fire before being shot in the face
- Not certain, but I felt some of the Sallah takes talking about the dig at his home seemed different in a way too.
- No monkey noises when Monkey Man gestures to him to hide in the truck.
- The biggest surprise for me was that while under the truck, as Indy hooks his whip to something, he said a line which I had never heard before. He said something like "please god" or similar I believe. I didn't quite catch it unfortunately.

If I remember more, I'll add them here. Certainly an experience I'll remember forever. I always wanted to see this score played in person or play it myself, but I could never get my High School band director to go for it haha. Just seeing people play the Desert Chase was worth it to me. I highly recommend it if its playing near you

jrohrba1

Actually I do remember two more differences.

- When Indy shoots at the truck before it explodes, the Arab on the side lets out a scream. I dont think he does in the film.
- Also when Indy asked if a man wanted to see him while in the bar, the man lets out a different laugh than whats in the final film. Though I think someone mentioned this earlier.