Unfilmed episodes of Young Indy

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
From your implied impossibility of those particular missing episodes, is it because:
Buenos Aires, June 1919: Doesn't jive with the new "Princeton 1919" from "Winds of Change"? Do you feel there is not enough time in the summer to fit it in?
Honduras, December 1920: See below
Brazil, December 1921: Because of the events in MacGregor's "IJ and the Seven Veils" novel?
Yeah. Indy meets a girl on the boat home to Princeton instead of getting mugged. If they did Buenos Aires, I'd have preferred they do Havana immediately after. Even ignoring his 1920 graduation in the Peril at Delphi novel, I think he would have been wandering too much. Gotta be in Delphi by 1922!

Shortly after YIJC was cancelled, we got crystal skulls, Honduras and Belloq in the McCoy novels. Whether or not it was a coincidence, I think it's been done, and might even include the typhus Indy discussed at the diner (and the Honduras grave-robbing referred to by Chattar Lal).

There comes a point around 1920 when Indy just can't be considered young anymore. Why not give people the fully formed adventurer? I'd love to see the novels produced as one-hour episodes, animated in the style of Fleischer Studios.

AnnieJones

InexorableTash said:
Of these, the two I wish were adapted in some way are:

"Jerusalem, June 1909"
"Le Havre, June 1916"

I totally agree!
I wished I could have seen the "Jerusalem, June 1909" one at least.

Stoo

Moedred said:
Yeah. Indy meets a girl on the boat home to Princeton instead of getting mugged. If they did Buenos Aires, I'd have preferred they do Havana immediately after. Even ignoring his 1920 graduation in the Peril at Delphi novel, I think he would have been wandering too much. Gotta be in Delphi by 1922!
Ah, but there lies the crux. In the original bookends to "Travels With Father" Indy arrives in New York alone. The whole plot of meeting the girl, Amy, was filmed much later so *if* "Buenos Aires" had been made, the storyline on the ship would have been different. He still could have met her in Le Havre OR en route from B.A. to N.Y. but not both. (In "Winds of Change" there are a few shots in Le Havre and Indy onboard where the length of his hair changes which makes it easy to distinguish between the new/old footage.)

BTW, being a stickler for detail, it would be good if you could edit the entry for "Honduras" in your post to read Henry Spinden instead of Spindent because that's an error/typo in the P.Hidalgo article.
Moedred said:
Shortly after YIJC was cancelled, we got crystal skulls, Honduras and Belloq in the McCoy novels. Whether or not it was a coincidence, I think it's been done, and might even include the typhus Indy discussed at the diner (and the Honduras grave-robbing referred to by Chattar Lal).
McCoy used the Chattar Lal reference in "Philosopher's Stone" but he set those events in the British Honduras. Had the TV episode been made, it's more likely than not that this would have been what Lal was referring to (leaving McCoy to ditch his idea).
Moedred said:
There comes a point around 1920 when Indy just can't be considered young anymore. Why not give people the fully formed adventurer? I'd love to see the novels produced as one-hour episodes, animated in the style of Fleischer Studios.
I don't even have to click the link to know that you're talking about the Superman cartoons. Those are AMAZING and I have them all. In one of the many "wish" threads for an Indy animation, I suggested the exact same thing. No style would suit Indy better than this so I'm definitely with you!:)

Junior Jones

InexorableTash said:
Of these, the two I wish were adapted in some way are:

"Jerusalem, June 1909"
"Le Havre, June 1916"

Hey, you're in luck!

InexorableTash said:
Ooops! Yes, I was thinking of Flanders...

Oh, bummer.

Anyway, I have added a new episode to the Lost Tales of Indiana Jones. It's Le Havre, June 1916. The final product is very different from what I thought it would be when I started, but I'm proud of it.

Enjoy! and let me know what you think.:hat:

InexorableTash

Junior Jones said:
Anyway, I have added a new episode to the Lost Tales of Indiana Jones. It's Le Havre, June 1916. The final product is very different from what I thought it would be when I started, but I'm proud of it.

Whoah, the page is only accessible in Internet Explorer. At a technical level: the text boxes are being rendered using VML and present "uplevel" (IE-only) and "downlevel" (non-IE) variants. Unfortunately, there are only links in the VML version; the non-VML version just shows an image with plain text, so the links to the episodes aren't clickable. At this point, it means about 35% of Web users can't get to your stuff.

While Microsoft Word can be coerced into generating decent HTML, by default it aims for the output to be full fidelity in appearance ("looks great!") rather than being broadly accessible or functional. You might switch to another tool.

Anyway, here are the links so far as I can tell, dug out of the page source:

Melbourne, 1910: http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/chronicles/index_files/Page446.htm
Princeton, Early May 1905: http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/chronicles/
Princeton, Late May 1905: http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/chronicles/index_files/Page364.htm
Le Havre, June 1916: http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/Chronicles2/

I'll take a peek when I get home.

AnnieJones

So let me get this straight.

It goes like this,right? (In chronological order):
Princeton,Early May 1905
Princeton,Late May 1905
Melbourne,1910
Le Havre,June 1916

Then what is this?-Chapter 0 — Idylls of Youth
Was this a made up,fan made story? Or was it part of the series that never got filmed or aired.

Here is one of my favorite scenes from a YIJC episode,Daredevils of the
Desert Palestine 1917.

Jack:If you’d ever been to Australia, you’d know what I was talking about.
Indiana Jones:Well actually I have been to Australia...
Jack:You’ve been to Australia? (laughs) Good on you, sport.
Dix:God’s own country, right?
Indy:That’s right. It was great. Actually I flew an airplane with Harry Houdini.
Dix:S’truth?
Jack:He’s pulling your leg.
Dix:Are you?
Indy:No, it’s true. It’s great though. I love Australia.

Last edited:

Stoo

AnnieJones said:
Indy:That?s right. It was great. Actually I flew an airplane with Harry Houdini.
From the information we've been given, it's a mystery as to why it's stated that he flew in a balloon with Houdini. Like Indy said in "Daredevils", it was an aeroplane.

There's also this line from the beginning of "Hawkmen" before he was assigned to the Lafayette Escadrille.
Remy to Indy: You HATE flying.

...and from wiki:
"In 1910, Houdini toured Australia. He brought with him his Voisin biplane and had the distinction of achieving the first powered flight over Australia, doing so on March 18 at Diggers Rest, Victoria (melton), just north of Melbourne. Colin Defries preceded him, but he crashed the plane on landing. Houdini proudly claimed to reporters that, while the world may forget about him as a magician and escape artist, it would never forget Houdini the pioneer aviator."

---
I prepared this photo analysis (from "Curse of the Jackal/Spring Break Adventure") for the Billie character in one of Junior Jones' stories in his "Lost Tales" thread but I am convinced that he was supposed to be the young Paul Robeson. Yes? No?

Billie_1.jpg

Henry Sr. in Winds of Change..."Paul? Little Paul?"

Junior Jones

AnnieJones said:
So let me get this straight.

It goes like this,right? (In chronological order):
Princeton,Early May 1905
Princeton,Late May 1905
Melbourne,1910
Le Havre,June 1916

Then what is this?-Chapter 0 ? Idylls of Youth
Was this a made up,fan made story? Or was it part of the series that never got filmed or aired.

Well, taking my cue from George Lucas, I took two episodes (Princeton, Early May 1905 and Princeton, Late May 1905) removed the bookends, added some awkward bridging material, and edited them together into one long story.

Have you read any of them, Annie? What do you think?

The Indy Cast just posted Episode 83, Laird Malamed talks about some of the unproduced young indy episodes and his time at Lucasfilm.

AnnieJones

Junior Jones said:
Well, taking my cue from George Lucas, I took two episodes (Princeton, Early May 1905 and Princeton, Late May 1905) removed the bookends, added some awkward bridging material, and edited them together into one long story.
Good idea doing stories with what you have to work with!(y)
Junior Jones said:
Have you read any of them, Annie? What do you think?
I read the first page of each story and from what I read I really like what you have done.(y) I like(what I read so far)the four stories that I read.

What I like about The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Princeton,Early May 1905 was how you worked his sister,Susie,into the story. http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/chronicles/

What I like about both The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Princeton,Early May 1905 and The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Princeton,Late May 1905 was how you put Indiana the dog into the stories and how you managed to put "little Paul" into the stories as well. http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/chronicles/
http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/chronicles/index_files/Page364.htm

What I like about the one with Houdini,The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Melbourne,1910,is that you used Daredevils of the Desert Palestine,October 1917 as your source of information.I always wondered what that story was going to be like. http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/index_files/Page461.htm

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Palestine,October 1917(1993) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0752181/
Jack: If you’d ever been to Australia, you’d know what I was talking about.
Indiana Jones: Well actually I have been to Australia...
Jack: You’ve been to Australia? (laughs) Good on you, sport.
Dix: God’s own country, right?
Indy: That’s right. It was great. Actually I flew an airplane with Harry Houdini.
Dix: S’truth?
Jack: He’s pulling your leg.
Dix: Are you?
Indy: No, it’s true. It’s great though. I love Australia.

I also like the drawing for this story. http://home.earthlink.net/~pandersonfam/index_files/Page446.htm

I found a website about Houdini in Australia(in real history).Here it is,if someone else hasn't already put it up on this thread: http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/houdini_bio.html

What I thought was funny about The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Le Havre,June 1916 was when Indy couldn't remember his own "age" when Sergeant Bedeaux asked Indy how old he was and he had to try and remember it right there on the spot.Very creative.(y)

“How old are you, Defense?”

“Twe… um… Twenty-two,” he stammered, trying to remember the birth date he had put on his enlistment form.

Last edited:

Stoo

Stoo said:
#?? "Berlin, Late August 1916."
This was to be a third part in the Somme - Germany cycle following Indy's capture in Somme, through his escape from prison and to his then his escape from Germany itself. Indy has to decide between returning to the US (since we are not at war with them yet) or returning to the Belgium Army - which he does. The main character from history is Sigrid Schultz. (Laird Malamed/Micah Johnson notes)
Laird Malamed's interview on the Indy Cast has shed some new light on this unmade episode! Mr. Malamed refers to it as the one where Indy goes to the U.S. embassy...That is NEW information!(y)

As far as he recalls, nothing was ever shot for these unmade chapters but an old Raven member, Aaron H, once wrote that a few of them were scripted and some scenes were actually filmed. I would love to know the truth behind this...

@Annie, you should have put your reply in Junior Jones' "Lost Tales" thread.;)

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
Hmm...With all due respect, Crack, I disagree.:hat:

Mutt: ...Hodgekiss? Hedgekiss? The one he found.
Indy: The Ox and I were obsessed with the Mitchell-Hedges skull in college...

If "Honduras" happened, then Indy could have said something like, "Mitchell-Hedges didn't find it, kid. I did...along with a *friend* of mine..."

Then there's this line.
Indy: There are a number of crystal skulls in the world and I saw one in the British Museum...

He saw "one". (I saw that crystal skull last year and, although it has the same dimensions as the M-H skull, it's all one piece and doesn't have a separate jaw bone like the Hedges one.) The fact that he admits to only seeing "one", negates the events in Honduras (but the Indy-geek in me can find ways to circumvent this contradiction;)).

It would indeed require some... "finessing," but I think there's still more than enough room to do it that I'm still comfortable with saying the movie account doesn't definitively negate the planned episode (though we can agree the novel clearly does). There could be any number of reasons why Indy wouldn't want to tell this kid he just met the "real" story behind the Mitchell-Hedges skull, and at least a couple suggest themselves. The book's inclusion of Indy's own thoughts about wanting to see it does pretty solidly contradict the episode, though, alas.

AnnieJones

I don't know if this was mentioned yet,but old Indy (briefly) mentioned knowing Houdini in The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 4.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
AnnieJones said:
I don't know if this was mentioned yet,but old Indy (briefly) mentioned knowing Houdini in The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles - Part 4.

That's a good point. Two references to a hypothetical adventure that was never filmed makes it seem like a little bit more than a throwaway references.

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
It would indeed require some... "finessing," but I think there's still more than enough room to do it that I'm still comfortable with saying the movie account doesn't definitively negate the planned episode (though we can agree the novel clearly does). There could be any number of reasons why Indy wouldn't want to tell this kid he just met the "real" story behind the Mitchell-Hedges skull, and at least a couple suggest themselves. The book's inclusion of Indy's own thoughts about wanting to see it does pretty solidly contradict the episode, though, alas.
Until something better comes along, I'll twist things any which-way to make a correlation!:eek:
Annie Jones said:
I love when he says this and have brought it up before in some other threads. "I knew Houdini!"
Attila the Professor said:
That's a good point. Two references to a hypothetical adventure that was never filmed makes it seem like a little bit more than a throwaway references.
In addition to "Daredevils" & the "Melbourne" synopsis provided by Laird Malamed, the bookend reference also sheds a bit more light on the possible content of this unfilmed episode (Indy learning about some escape techinques).

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Until something better comes along, I'll twist things any which-way to make a correlation!:eek:

I love fictional chronologies, be they for Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Aliens/Predator, Firefly... There's something about putting things into perfect sequential order that I find immensely satisfying.

With Tolkein's Lord of the Rings there is no problem since the sole author had control over his world (and I recall finding the chronology at the end of LOTR very upsetting as Tolkien tells us of the deaths of much-loved characters).

When we are confronted by multiple authors and multiple media, and conflicts inevitably arise and throw the proverbial spanner in the works, it becomes a major frustration.

My solution is to approach the problem as I would approach such a matter in real life: witnesses to history are not always perfect. The facts can be distorted by poor memory, misinterpretation, intentional misrepresentation. Diaries, for example, are not to be taken as first hand evidence without substantiation. Disbelieve every statement until it can be verified by other means.

With that in mind, I assign irregularities to errors made by the characters. This is the method by which (to quote you, Stoo) "I'll twist things any which-way to make a correlation".

A glib remark by Indy, or even a whole episode of Young Indy, might be a tall tale.

:hat: