The Nathanson Draft

torao

Moderator Emeritus
I certainly share some of your sentiments, Gonzo. The key question for me is what changes were made in the transition from Darabont's to Nathanson's draft.

....Sometimes...I dream of a Blade Runner-like Indy DVD release (well, it doesn't have to be that big, you know.) for which Darabont, Koepp, Nathanson and Lucas would sit down to record an audio commentary track à la David Peoples and Hampton Fancher who, in their commentary track, respectively blame the other for writing certain lines of dialogue and have problems to remember who wrote which scenes. It's a treat to listen to those guys.

AHegele

the great thing about the blade runner release and releases like Alien Quadrilogy is that the filmmakers are completely honest.

"yea, i hated that part"

"it was a financial decision."

"we needed to cast someone young for the audience"

We sort of got hints at that with the DVD releases, Spielberg admitting that Temple was his least favorite and that The Last Crusade was his favorite, but i'd like an unapologetic look at the making of it including interviews with people like Natheson, Darabount, maybe even M. Night.

Hopefully the Blu-Ray releases will add more depth.

Mutt Williams

Indy Smith said:
So how do you suppose they did the face melting scenes in Raiders? I am sure Ainimation was a part of the visual effects of the previous movies.

Did you even read my post after that? I was just updating you guys with the info. I don't have anything against animation. I'm all for it. ILM has been doing excellent job lately.

Mutt Williams said:
Visual effects - set extensions, digital matte paintings, etc
Animation - CGI characters/creatures

All I'm saying is that ILM is doing a significant work to get that credit, meaning the supernatural part in this movie is quite demanding.

And that is not a bad thing for me. I'm confident that the animation will be used extensively only at the end like "Raiders".

They won't use "CG stuntmen", if anyone have any worries about that. I mean, just look at the list of stunt people at IMDB.

Indy Smith said:
So how do you suppose they did the face melting scenes in Raiders? I am sure Ainimation was a part of the visual effects of the previous movies.

That was actually a practical effect. They made models of the Nazis out of wax and jello, used a time-lapse camera, and watched it melt in real time. Sped up, it looked like they were melting in seconds.

commontone

If animation is used, I bet it's for structural things. Let's say they unleash the power of the skull, and the temple starts collapsing around them. They would use CGI animation to show the temple falling apart.

Say what you will about War of the Worlds, but its effects of buildings being crushed were stunning and utterly realistic-looking to the point that it wasn't even a distraction; you just accepted and watched. Spielberg will do it right, whatever it is.

Indy Smith

Mutt Williams said:
Did you even read my post after that? I was just updating you guys with the info. I don't have anything against animation. I'm all for it. ILM has been doing excellent job lately.

Yes, but obviously I didn't take it in. I'm an ignorant sonofab*tch :D

bergstrom

The Professor said:
That was actually a practical effect. They made models of the Nazis out of wax and jello, used a time-lapse camera, and watched it melt in real time. Sped up, it looked like they were melting in seconds.

They showed that being done in a documentary. It was amazing!

Dr. Gonzo

Well hopefully these "rejected" scripts will see the light of day after May. I would love to be able to see all of the influences on this thing.

MichaelDath

After Darabont's screenplay was turned down, Jeff Nathanson came in and took a revision pass at Darabont's screenplay. Then, Spielberg and Lucas hired Koepp to take another whack at the revised Nathanson draft. He did. And this is the screenplay they are now filming with. :whip:

Dr. Gonzo

sandiegojones said:
1947, but I don't think there's mention of the Roswell UFO, just Area 51 and most likely it won't be by name. Don't believe the fake synopsis you keep seeing.

It seems Roswell is the case now... and with the Nathanson script taking place in 1949... I wonder if he dabbled in these aspects.

Dr. Gonzo

Well now that we have a "Darabont" script...
Let the search and call for the Jeff Nathanson draft begin!

1949? So we have heard... thats about all I know...

Anyone care to jump into the discussion/search?

muttjones

i'll update this thread for every one who looks at it.

David Koepp got screenplay credits for Indy IV while Jeff Nathanson got story credit alongside George Lucas.

Dr. Gonzo

Well it has been almost a year since the last post... I want to revive this subject. We have Jeb's "Saucer Men from Mars", we have Frank's "City of Gods" and David's "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"...

WHERE IS THE MISSING PIECE?

Where is Jeff Nathanson's Draft? I am really interested since he shares a story credit with Georgie boy.

We have dug up the others, now let us try to dig up Nathanson's draft supposedly titled "Indiana Jones and the Atomic Ants"!

It could be a great draft!

Dr. Gonzo

Just trying to give this thread another nudge. ^ I want to see his crack at the screenplay so badly.

I wonder if it is at all possible to some how acquire this script through the WGA registry?

Is there any way to acquire the missing link "Nathanson's draft"?
Some how? ANYONE?!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
WHERE IS THE MISSING PIECE?
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36806
It's in Moriarty's Laboratory. But don't bother asking Drew McWeeny, he says
I can?t tell you how many times readers have asked me for THE FOUNTAIN or WATCHMEN or THE VILLAGE or SUPERMAN or whatever, but I?ve never sent out a copy to any of them. Nor has Harry. Even when other members of the AICN staff, like Mr. Beaks or Quint or Obi-Swan, want to read something, they come to the Labs or to Geek Headquarters.

Darth Vile

emtiem said:
I've not read that review before, and it's probably the best I've read of KOTCS in that he hits the nail right on the head for me- I agree with pretty much every plus and minus point.

Same here. I've always thought the weakest part of the movie was the final segment in Akator... simply because it unfolds too fast without much real direction. However, I think the better elements of the movie make up for the weaker elements. Whilst KOTCS has never been a "great" Indy movie (IMHO), I've always viewed it as solid/good one.

emtiem

Actually; maybe with one reservation; I think he says it's better than Last Crusade which I can't really agree with.
But yeah, Akator is the weakest bit. I think I said after coming out of the cinema that if I saw one more secret door open I'd go mad.