The X-Files

phantom train

No matter what anyone says, I am still looking forward to this new X-files film. I was a big fan of the show in the '90s, enjoyed the first movie in 1998, and though I didn't catch as much of the show in later seasons, I still enjoyed the episodes with R. Patrick (though I know I'm in the minority in liking these later seasons).
I am now going back and re-watching a lot of the episodes on DVD and also catching up on what I missed.

Though this new X-files film may be a "sleeper", is may be because it's being overshadowed by all of the other genre blockbusters this summer like "Batman: TDK", "Indiana Jones", "Hulk", "Iron Man", the forthcoming "Clone Wars SW film", etc.

The Man

phantom train said:
No matter what anyone says, I am still looking forward to this new X-files film. I was a big fan of the show in the '90s, enjoyed the first movie in 1998, and though I didn't catch as much of the show in later seasons, I still enjoyed the episodes with R. Patrick (though I know I'm in the minority in liking these later seasons).
I am now going back and re-watching a lot of the episodes on DVD and also catching up on what I missed.

Though this new X-files film may be a "sleeper", is may be because it's being overshadowed by all of the other genre blockbusters this summer like Batman: TDK, Indiana Jones, Hulk, Iron Man, the forthcoming animated SW film, etc.

I don't know anything about the plot. What's this 'pederast priest' business?

RelicHunter

Agent Spalko said:
I said they could duke it out. X-Files hasn't been good since the 20th century. I had to watch that show die a slow agonizing death for 5 years. The finale was awful. IWTB looks like a mediocre episode of the series at best. I have no interest to see it.

I wouldn't go that far. The finale was good. And to be honest the series could have gone a few more seasons. But you can't believe that it will be a "terrible" movie. I think it will be enjoyable for most fans. And could lead to another movie, which could follow the conspiracy.

The Man

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hbB1078qrAE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hbB1078qrAE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Man

Not so ouchy...

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=706582&category=ARTS&TextPage=2

'...The movie is insidious. It involves evil on not one level but two. The evildoers, it must be said, are singularly inept; they receive bills for medical supplies under their own names, and surely there must be more efficient ways to abduct victims and purchase animal tranquilizers. But what they?re up to is so creepy, and the snow-covered Virginia landscapes so haunting, and the wrongheadedness of Scully so frustrating, and the FBI bureaucracy so stupid, and Mulder so brave, that the movie works like thrillers used to work, before they were required to contain villains the size of buildings.'

RelicHunter

Just got back from the movie. And as a fan of the series I was very pleased with how it turned out. Even with the presence of xzibit. The Mulder and scully chemistry was still very much alive. And it was classic X-Files. I hope this will mean more movies. (y)

glorbes

I thought this movie was terrible. I am a fan of the show, and I honestly think that watching paint dry would be more amusing. I feel like an idiot for having paid to see it.

RelicHunter

glorbes said:
I thought this movie was terrible. I am a fan of the show, and I honestly think that watching paint dry would be more amusing. I feel like an idiot for having paid to see it.

Wow! OK? I am suprised to hear a fan say that.

TheMutt92

Knew this wasn't gonna do so well at the B.O.. I mean, TDK in its second week was still bound to come off strong, Step Brothers has the star power, and other than a cult following, what did X-Files 2 have? Pity though it was so low.

glorbes

RelicHunter said:
Wow! OK? I am suprised to hear a fan say that.

Yeah, I was hoping for something on par to a good episode of the show. I felt it was the opposite of that. I really wanted to like this movie, but my goodness this movie was dull. The Scully subplot, and the way the two main characters behaved towards each other was just...so lame...none of it rang true or seemed to make any sense. I don't want to give anything away to those who want to see this, but I fail to see how there was really anything supernatural about this story. Far-fetched, perhaps, but the plot seems like a discarded script for the show that's been padded to feature length. The whole thing just seemed like wasted effort and time...and rather than exploiting the small budget by being a well-written, character driven piece, it came off like it was filmed over a couple of days with no rehearsal.

bonoferox

Went to see it yesterday afternoon and it just did nothing for me. I only watched the show from 1996-1999, as well as the first movie, and enjoyed it. This was just too little effort it seemed.

Jose Chung

Budget according to Duchovny: $29 million
Total*: $21 million

*= Still not released completely international with domestic totals

This movie is not a bomb and when it's completely international, it will more than make back it's production cost and could even make a profit.

Arab Swordsman

I went and saw this again today for the second time and I liked it much better this time. I see where Chris Carter was going with this one and it's better written than people give it credit for. I think this was more of a Scully movie than Mulder and it was again about her faith in God versus her knowledge of science and went back to her being the skeptic to Mulder's believer. Carter also did a good job of establishing that the characters are destined to solve these crimes by the the whole scene during of the credits with them bring brought back into the darkness from the light with the helicopter coming for them.

On the other hand, the pacing was a bit slow and the villians weren't really an X-File because at the end you could explain everything they did unlike say the Flukeman. I still enjoyed it and hope between worldwide release and DVD sales that they make enough to greenlight an alien movie to come out in 2012that can wrap up the whole series and alien arc.

RelicHunter

Arab Swordsman said:
I went and saw this again today for the second time and I liked it much better this time. I see where Chris Carter was going with this one and it's better written than people give it credit for. I think this was more of a Scully movie than Mulder and it was again about her faith in God versus her knowledge of science and went back to her being the skeptic to Mulder's believer. Carter also did a good job of establishing that the characters are destined to solve these crimes by the the whole scene during of the credits with them bring brought back into the darkness from the light with the helicopter coming for them.

On the other hand, the pacing was a bit slow and the villians weren't really an X-File because at the end you could explain everything they did unlike say the Flukeman. I still enjoyed it and hope between worldwide release and DVD sales that they make enough to greenlight an alien movie to come out in 2012that can wrap up the whole series and alien arc.

I am with you there. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the 2012 project.:)

Nurhachi1991

The movie felt more like an episode than a movie I wanted to see Aliens......

I mean a modern day Frankenstein? Come on I even think they did an episode on that.