Tom Selleck would have been a better Indy

Montana Smith

chicago103 said:
This is like pondering that Cary Grant would have been a better James Bond originally than Sean Connery, the character is already defined by the first actor. Actually with Indiana Jones it is even more pondersome because unlike Bond there has only been one adult Indy in Harrison Ford and also unlike Bond the Indiana Jones movies were straight to screen and were not novels before hand so literally Harrison Ford was the first impression anyone outside of those imagining and casting ROTLA have of Indiana Jones. There is no basis for comparison.

That's precisley how I view this as well. Harrison was as much the shaper of the character as Lucas, Speilberg and Kasdan. Harrison's annotated script, pages of which Rocket recently posted here, is evidence that Harrison was active in molding the character that we came to know as 'Indiana Jones'. Anybody else taking over the adult role will have a mountain to climb, and it may take several movies before they become accepted (if they get the opportunity to make those other movies).

Dr Bones

I can't help it...but I get a little bit angry when I see this thread pop up.....:)

To me it's like joining a Star Wars fansite/forum and saying, Star Trek is much better..and expecting everyone to agree.

Go join a Quigley site...oh..there isn't one?

Dr Bones said:
I can't help it...but I get a little bit angry when I see this thread pop up.....:)

To me it's like joining a Star Wars fansite/forum and saying, Star Trek is much better..and expecting everyone to agree.

Go join a Quigley site...oh..there isn't one?

A more appropriate comparison would be if somebody joined a Star Wars forum and saying that Christopher Walken would have been a better Han Solo than Harrison Ford. It is on topic, that would be about Star Wars just like how this thread is about Indiana Jones but the opinion expressed is so outside of the established lore and popular opinion that one wonders if the original poster is just saying it for shock value.

Raiders90

I still think he would've been really good. I mean Steven and George thought so as well.

One thing I just learned was that he was cast as Indy until just two weeks before filming began. Harrison was really a last minute casting choice.

Cool pic I found as well from the Magnum, PI episode:
g_magnum_01.jpg

Stoo

Re-posted from the Indiana Jones Adventure Tour thread and the "General Indy 5" thread:
Moedred said:
Since it came up elsewhere, here's the complete explanation from Howard Kazanjian why Tom Selleck wasn't Indy:

Quote:
"George Lucas wanted Tom Selleck for the movie. George was suing Universal for "Battlestar: Galactica," because many of the characters ripped him off. Glen Larson was the producer who not only has ripped George Lucas off, but a lot of other creative people. That's documented. So, George and Fox are now... we know the film is a Paramount picture, so George personally is suing Universal and Glen Larson. Glen Larson is the producer on the Tom Selleck television show. "Magnum: P.I." So, we knew that a strike, an actor's strike, was going to happen. It was inevitable, just like the writer's strike we had a year ago. And we said, to Universal, give us Tom Selleck for this picture, because we're making it in England, not under SAG, but under Equity, so we can keep working during the strike. And then by the time the strike is over, you'll get him back, and he'll have a great picture under his belly. They wouldn't do it."

---
Magnum P.I. premiered December 1980, and probably wouldn't have missed Selleck that summer.
Hi, Moe. Thanks for the post.:hat: To get around the SAG, the opening sequence probably would have been filmed somewhere else besides Hawaii. (Tikal National Park in Guatemala maybe?)
Stephen Jared said:
Another bit of trivia: Tom Selleck was in Hawaii waiting for the strike to end so he could start on Magnum. Eventually, he needed money so he took a construction job. Meanwhile, Harrison Ford was just down the road from him shooting Raiders -- the part that was Selleck's just a few months earlier.
That's some salt in the wound. Thanks for that bit o' trivia, Stephen.
lguerra said:
Ha that's funny, i remember years ago seeing raiders concept art poster that had tom selleck face on it at sun coast , it was the same one that has harrison ford holding the bullwhip coiled on his shoulder wearing his jacket you could see the truck in the bottom corner.The poster read Ultimate hero Ultimate Adventure, Raiders of the lost ark. It looked out of place, maybe i should have gotten it.
Has anyone else ever heard of or seen this? Yes, you should have gotten it if you were able to. What year was it when you saw the poster and did it look geniune? I'm very curious.

Raiders90

Stoo said:
Re-posted from the Indiana Jones Adventure Tour thread and the "General Indy 5" thread:
Hi, Moe. Thanks for the post.:hat: To get around the SAG, the opening sequence probably would have been filmed somewhere else besides Hawaii. (Tikal National Park in Guatemala maybe?)
That's some salt in the wound. Thanks for that bit o' trivia, Stephen.
Has anyone else ever heard of or seen this? Yes, you should have gotten it if you were able to. What year was it when you saw the poster and did it look geniune? I'm very curious.

Yeah it sounds like the part was basically taken from him out of revenge on Glen Larson's part.
He could've done Indy and Magnum in the same year...And really I think it might've been fair. Harrison was already a big star because of Star Wars...It might've been interesting to see Selleck become one as well. He was able to pull off a hit with Three Men and a Baby, which was the highest grossing movie of 1987.
They should've at least let him be Fedora or given him a smaller role in one of the movies.

Raiders112390 said:
They should've at least let him be Fedora or given him a smaller role in one of the movies.

That would have been really funny.

I love Tom Selleck and Magnum P.I., but I'm glad things worked out the way they did. At this point, the whole question is moot. Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford.

(Nonetheless, the Indy homage Magnum P.I. episode is quite good.)

Col. Detritch

I know I posted this image a while back but I think it needs to be witnessed again so we may all give thanks for Harrison Ford and the entire cast of the Indy movies! This is Tom Selleck as Indy and Jacques Dutronic as Belloq (as originally pitched):

IndianaJonesandtheWouldhaveBeens3.png

*Shudder* :hat:

indyartist

on the flip side.....

we'd probably be saying the same thing if it were reverse and Ford was originally cast and had to back out for other commitments and then Selleck was a last minute choice and THEN he delivered WELL with Raiders in his own humor, style and charm. A lot of us would be saying "I can't imagine anyone else BUT Selleck as Indy." I mean look at him in "High Road to China" and "Quigley". He's got screen presence and charisma and a sense of adventure. He could've easily pulled it off and I think put a stamp on it. However, unfortuneately, we'll never really know.

intergamer said:
Colonel Vogel:

You Are Being Flamed Because

[ ] You posted a Religious Thread
[ ] You posted a accusation with no proof
[ ] You posted a thread containing 1337 talk
[ ] You posted a me > u thread
[x] you posted a worthless offensive thread
[ ] You continued a long, stupid thread
[ ] You committed crimes against pork biproducts
[ ] You posted a "YOU ALL SUCK" message
[ ] You haven't read the FAQ
[ ] You don't know which forum to post in
[ ] You just plain suck
[x] You posted false information
[ ] You posted something totally uninteresting
[ ] You doubleposted
[ ] YOU POSTED A MESSAGE ALL WRITTEN IN CAPS
[ ] You posted racist crap
[x] I don't like your tone of voice
[ ] You are not civilized enough to post in these forums
[ ] Yuo mispeled evry sengle wurd.
[ ] Your parents are related
[ ] You and your wife are related
[ ] You dated my sister
[ ] You dated my brother
[x] You made love to my dog

In Punishment, You Must:

[x] Give up your AOL Internet account
[ ] STFU & GTFO
[ ] Jump into a bathtub while holding your monitor
[ ] Actually post something relevant
[ ] Read the f****** FAQ
[ ] Call Bush and inform him he sucks
[x] Go to your room with no supper
[x] Apologize to everybody on this forum
[ ] Go stand in the middle of a Highway
[ ] Recite the Greek alphabet backwards
[ ] Take a bath in bleach
[ ] Drink out of a spitoon
[ ] Eat my a**
[ ] Grind a rail on your sack
[ ] All of the above

In Closing, I'd Like to Say:

[x] 1 R 1337
[ ] Pwned
[ ] GG no re
[ ] Blow me
[x] Get a life
[ ] Me > u
[ ] Never post again
[x] I pity your dog
[ ] Go to hell
[ ] Your IQ must be 7
[ ] Take your s*** somewhere else
[ ] STFU & GTFO
[ ] Learn to post or f*** off
[ ] Go jump into some industrial equipment
[ ] STFU botter
[ ] All of the above
...Someone needs to relax...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
EgyptianPharaoh said:
...Someone needs to relax...

I think he's had more than five years to get over it, kid. And he's not exactly an active member here either.

Oh, and the thread starter? Banned years ago. It can happen.

Attila the Professor said:
I think he's had more than five years to get over it, kid. And he's not exactly an active member here either.

Oh, and the thread starter? Banned years ago. It can happen.
Oh my....did I run into a really old thread again?....Darn!...I dislike it when I do that.

Yul Brynner would of made a great Indy..(anyway)...But...I think the part belongs with Ford.....not Tom....Trust me!...it would not be the same!

Mickiana

A lot of people would have done Indy well, but just differently. How differently? We will just have to wait until they reboot Indy at a younger age with someone else.

DiscoLad

Mickiana said:
A lot of people would have done Indy well, but just differently. How differently? We will just have to wait until they reboot Indy at a younger age with someone else.

Yeah *Flex* they had asked me to be Indy the first time but I had business elsewhere. *Arm thrust* :cool:

Mickiana

Ah, DiscoLad, you're such a kidder. You've probably seen him, but look up Anthony Ingruber's Harrison Ford impersonations on YouTube. He's actually good at a whole heap of impersonations. He should have been Indy's son or at least be used for a reboot as a 'younger' Indy.