Uncharted: The Games

Le Saboteur

IndyBuff said:
I hope The Lost Legacy ends up being good. I loved U4's single player but eventually grew bored with the multiplayer, which has become nothing more than a pay-to-win fest of microtransactions and glitches.

Well, the new clip they released certainly looks good. Not that I think that was every going to be a concern; the team has definitely earned a reputation for graphical fidelity.

I'm not really keen on hanging around with the non-character that is Nadine Ross, but I am excited about playing Chloe. Even if she is overtly ethnicized (because it makes the story 'palatable' for delicate flowers). Plus, the Western Ghats of Southern India is a fantastic environment to muck around in.

The game's principal antagonist certainly looks familiar.
Somebody has been watching Detective Byomkesh Bokshy!

Uncharted-The-Lost-Legacy-Antagonist.jpg

Kai Hagen

Le Saboteur said:
Game Informer has released their April cover featuring Uncharted: The Lost Legacy! And aside from Chloe's face it's a pretty good cover.

She looks like the Prometheus Engineer in that cover.

Le Saboteur

Le roi est mort, vive la reine!

Has the release date not been mentioned here yet? No? Doesn't look like it...

So, get those pre-orders in if you haven't already! August 22nd will be here before you know it!

Dig the latest (and final?) trailer for Uncharted: The Lost Legacy!

Get hype!

As previously mentioned, I am not a fan of A Thief's End (even if I am largely positive on the game), but that was a good trailer! It's hitting all the right notes, and I'm definitely looking forward to the final(?) game in the series.

* - I suspect that we will a.) get interstitial titles from Naughty Dog in between other projects or b.) the license will be farmed out to a whole new studio; there's no way Sony says goodbye to Drake & Co.

** - Nadine doesn't seem like a total waste of space based on this trailer. She's still a terrible character until proven otherwise.

*n.b. - Chloe & Nadine are hunting for something called The Tusk of Ganesh and they took out the supernatural enemies.

TheFedora

Yeah it does look like they stepped away from the supernatural yet again for this adventure. Although Im excited, and I imagine we will probably be controlling Chloe for much of the game, with Nadine being in a role similar to Sam in U4 or Sully. And yeah I do think we will get in between games...I could see the next game being about Sam and Sully for instance.

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
Madagascar has savanna, but those look like cape buffalo. I thought that they could be Watusi cattle, but the massive horns appear to be missing.

No, those are zebu. They were imported from India...a long time ago. You can buy one for ~one million ariary or about three hundred bucks.

Games journalism remains terrible, but Gamespot has an interview with the two leads on The Lost Legacy:

Shaun & Kurt said:
As you can see, we?ve had a chance to take the best of Uncharted?the set pieces, the puzzles, cinematic storytelling, and exotic locales?and tell a completely new story with Chloe Frazer at the helm. She?s on the hunt for the legendary golden Tusk of Ganesh forged by the ancient Hoysala Empire, and to find it, she enlists the help of Nadine Ross. However, if there?s anything we know about Chloe and Nadine, it?s that they both keep things close to the vest. Over the course of the story, we?ll explore Chloe and Nadine?s struggle to trust one another.

But they aren?t the only ones searching for the Tusk. The story trailer also introduces our new antagonist: Asav. He?s a calm, calculating, and ruthless warmonger that is waging a civil war in the region. To keep it from falling into Asav?s hands, Chloe and Nadine will travel from war-torn city streets to the depths of India?s Western Ghats mountain range and the ruins of the Hoysala Empire.

Alongside the story trailer, we?re also debuting our new extended gameplay demo at E3. If you?re visiting the show, be sure to come see us at the PlayStation booth and be among the first in the world to see it. If you?re following along from home, don?t worry?we?ve got you covered. Keep an eye out later this week for details on when you can see the E3 demo.

In the meantime, be sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram for more updates from E3.

Shaun Escayg, Creative Director

Kurt Margenau, Game Director

Full blog post here.

A demo? Certainly sounds like it! I might try it out, but I kinda want to go in blind. They already have my money.

IndyBuff

I still wish they'd go with someone other than Nadine. She was a largely forgettable character and for some reason they keep trying to bring her back. I would much prefer Cutter or even someone like Rika Raja as Chloe's sidekick.

Aside from that the game looks pretty sweet.:)

Le Saboteur

IndyBuff said:
...even someone like Rika Raja as Chloe's sidekick.

We barely had the chance to know Rika Raja. I always wanted to see an adventure set before Drake's Fortune that filled out Drake's history with Eddy, and you could have easily slip Rika into that tale. Unfortunately,that doesn't look like that's ever going to happen.

Victor Sullivan needs to make an appearance.

Random Black Guy & Girl With Bad Hairdo chat up the leads on The Lost Legacy. Aside from some horrible apologia, there is a decent amount of gameplay footage!

TheFedora said:
And yeah I do think we will get in between games...I could see the next game being about Sam and Sully for instance.

The more I think about it the more I want Naughty Dog to step away from the series entirely. Let somebody else take up the mantle.

Le Saboteur said:
A demo? Certainly sounds like it! I might try it out, but I kinda want to go in blind. They already have my money.

Actually, after rereading that statement I think he's merely referring to the floor demo; they'll upload a playthrough to YouTube.

IndyBuff

The gameplay looks pretty solid, basically just a re-skin of Uncharted 4, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Le Saboteur

IndyBuff said:
The gameplay looks pretty solid, basically just a re-skin of Uncharted 4, which isn't a bad thing at all.

It's so much more than a reskin, though. It's basically the next full fledged entry in the series; that's how much its evolved since conception. There are definitely elements from A Thief's End at play, but calling it a reskin is undeserved.

The floor demo footage from E3 has been uploaded by Sony! Check it out if you want; there's no real spoilers. You do get a roving gun battle, a little bit of interaction between Chloe & Nadine, and Asav shows up at the very end for a few seconds. It quickly cuts to black after that.

The gunplay looks great, and I hope The Lost Legacy treats it as more than an afterthought.

Still playing multiplayer? Naughty Dog has a surprise for you!

IndyBuff

Le Saboteur said:
It's so much more than a reskin, though. It's basically the next full fledged entry in the series; that's how much its evolved since conception. There are definitely elements from A Thief's End at play, but calling it a reskin is undeserved.

It still looks very similar to Uncharted 4, which isn't a bad thing, as I said. Each game has built off the last one and this one appears to be following that trend, which I'm fine with. The story and characters are certainly different but it looks like Uncharted 4 in terms of gameplay and mechanics. That's a good thing in my book.

As for the new DLC, it's dumb. Classic Mode should have been added months ago and I'm tired of vanity items. Why they can't give us new maps or co-op adventure is beyond me.

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
The more I think about it the more I want Naughty Dog to step away from the series entirely. Let somebody else take up the mantle.

And now Uncharted probably isn't 'done'. If the latest interview with Shaun Escayg is any indication, we're probably going to get a few more of these interstitial titles.

Shaun Escayg said:
I wouldn't say it's the end. This thieving world is huge. There's so many characters. Even before we settled on this particular story we were exploring Sullivan, we were exploring Cutter, and pairing each other up, thinking what would be right, what would have conflict, growth, something new, something fresh. And Chloe was the one that kept jumping out.

But to say the Uncharted world is done... I doubt that highly.

Despite continuing to insist that Nadine is a 'fan favorite', the rest of the article is worth a read. It's fairly short, though. Won't take up too much of your time.

Le Saboteur

I meant to post this a few days ago.

Marty Sliva said:
In just 10 short minutes, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy impressed the absolute hell out of me. From the small character moments between Nadine and Chloe to the break-neck speed at which the demo delivered a huge variety of challenges, The Lost Legacy immediately cemented itself as an absolutely fitting and proper entry into Naughty Dog’s incredible series.

Full article: E3 2017: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is an Uncharted Game for Me

Despite the clunky headline, the article is worth reading. It's good to see that the gaming press are also seeing that this is a true, worthy entry into the Uncharted series.

Nadine is still trash.

Lambonius

I picked up Uncharted 4 on the Playstation store a few weeks back marked down for $19.99, and was amazed at how much I enjoyed it. I have always been pretty lukewarm on the series--I have the collection which came with my PS4 and have never really been grabbed by the gameplay, particularly the combat. Uncharted 1 feels borderline unplayable to me these days, because the combat is just never-ending, and the story is weak compared to the later entries. 2 and 3 fair better, but are still overly combat heavy, in my opinion.

But wow, Uncharted 4, for someone who really disliked all the gunplay of the previous series, just felt like such a refreshing change of pace. Viable stealth makes such a huge difference. It's the only game in the series that made me immediately want to replay it on a harder difficulty, rather than making me want to turn the difficulty down to the easiest possible setting halfway through just to get through the tedious combat.

I also really liked that they got rid of the supernatural elements in Uncharted 4; the story felt a lot more grounded and believable (aside from some really implausible architecture and 17th century machinery.) I found myself really sucked into it, and ended up spending some time reading up on the real life Henry Avery (and his legend) after the fact. Can't remember the last time a video game compelled me to actually do some (light) historical research.

It's real gem, and a fantastic pickup for 20 bucks. ;)

Le Saboteur

Lambonius said:
I also really liked that they got rid of the supernatural elements in Uncharted 4; the story felt a lot more grounded and believable (aside from some really implausible architecture and 17th century machinery.)

I would like to write more, but for now, the idea of completely ditching the supernatural elements of Uncharted is dumb. I'm all for trying different things out, but the removal of [the supernatural] in order to be more "believable" or "grounded" is a poor excuse. Preternatural elements are something of a hallmark of the genre; you're not looking for "realism". A realistic game ends up with Nate dying from a shattered leg/pelvis/whatever after failing a jump. Or thoroughly ventilated by a squad of trained mercenaries armed with fully automatic weapons.

Anyway.

Naughty Dog uploaded a ~13 minute gameplay clip... yesterday. It features a chunk of the open world-like area of the Western Ghats as well as a lot of the gameplay refinements mentioned earlier in the thread.

Check it out!

It also looks like this team did some work on fleshing out the famously useless collectibles Uncharted is known for. Tomb Raider does this bit rather well, so it'll be interesting to see how it all comes together in The Lost Legacy.

Le Saboteur

Sony & Naughty Dog have put out another Behind the Scenes video featuring the two new leads repeating the company talking points:

- We were finished with Nate's story (No you weren't; you forced an ending to it.)
- Chloe is a fan favorite
- People really liked Nadine. A lot. (If you keep repeating it, I guess people will accept the idea.)
- This is the biggest level we've ever done.

It's still worth watching for thew new gameplay snippets interspersed throughout.

From Alanah Pearce's article @ IGN:

Alanah Pearce said:
They are very different to other characters in the franchise, too, which makes The Lost Legacy feel particularly fresh. Chloe doesn?t have a semblance of Nathan Drake?s righteous hero complex, and, put in a stressful situation, her main priority is self-preservation. She?s much darker and more malicious, and that?s part of what makes her relationship with Nadine feel unpredictable, and what has me so interested. While most of the banter I encountered between the two seemed to be a unique brand of flirty, Nadine, a careful strategist, often seemed to get irate at Chloe?s more brash, impulsive decision making, and Chloe didn?t seem to care. Naughty Dog even told us that there were multiple revisions to the general, chatty dialogue between the two characters, to prevent them from being too "friendly".

Alanah Pearce said:
...with an opening dynamic that feels more like The Last of Us than what I'm used to seeing in Uncharted.

Except The Last of Us's tonality is the exact wrong thing to bring to Uncharted. Uncharted is pulp. It needs to flow and breathe, not get bogged down in moroseness.

August 22nd is fast approaching!

IndyBuff

I still don't get why they keep forcing Nadine on all of us. I've met very few players who thought she was a great character and ultimately she was inconsequential to the overall story. I also wouldn't mind a more lighthearted approach, similar to the first two games. I have enough dark and overly-serious games---let's see some fun and wit come into the series again.

That being said, I'm excited for the game and having Chloe take the lead should be interesting.

Last edited:

Lambonius

Le Saboteur said:
I would like to write more, but for now, the idea of completely ditching the supernatural elements of Uncharted is dumb. I'm all for trying different things out, but the removal of [the supernatural] in order to be more "believable" or "grounded" is a poor excuse. Preternatural elements are something of a hallmark of the genre; you're not looking for "realism". A realistic game ends up with Nate dying from a shattered leg/pelvis/whatever after failing a jump. Or thoroughly ventilated by a squad of trained mercenaries armed with fully automatic weapons.

You're kind of putting up a strawman here. I'm not suggesting the game should be realistic in the sense that life is not an action movie, I'm saying that the central mythology of the plot actually felt plausible in terms of the history, locations, etc., and that for me, that was a huge improvement over things like the Nazi Zombies that popped up in previous games. I really felt invested in seeing where they were going to take the narrative precisely because it didn't have as many of those cheesy eye-roll moments. To each their own though, of course. If the pulpy camp is what you enjoy about the series, obviously you'll see it differently. I thought it was a fantastic story overall, and really loved that they toned down a lot of what had turned me off about the previous games in terms of both story elements and gameplay (less shooty shooty bang bang.) ;)

Le Saboteur

Quickly: Seen this? This is amazing. Hopefully this makes into the game somehow.

The Lost Legacy continues to show promise.

DGbkgM7VwAA618N.jpg

Full size image here.