Genesis Deluge unedited vulgarity

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Actually in truth, the reason why some have seen the sentence in the book and others who have read it have not, is because (and I have mentioned this before) the first edition of "Genesis Deluge" had the f word in it. If you have a later print or a re-print, you will not have the f word sentence. It is replaced by Indy getting gagged before he says the word. So if you have bought your copy recently of "Genesis Deluge", you will not have a problem.

However, if you are concerned about language, I'm somewhat surprised you are not concerned of any sexual references, as many of these particular novels, do have that way more than swearing and would suggest someone of the age of 13-14 to read it. Genesis Deluge, all prints has a rather sexual chapter early in the book.

xVendetta17x

That's really interesting
But there's your answer right there
If you don't want your kids to read the swear just pick up a later copy

Violet Indy said:
Actually in truth, the reason why some have seen the sentence in the book and others who have read it have not, is because (and I have mentioned this before) the first edition of "Genesis Deluge" had the f word in it. If you have a later print or a re-print, you will not have the f word sentence. It is replaced by Indy getting gagged before he says the word. So if you have bought your copy recently of "Genesis Deluge", you will not have a problem.

However, if you are concerned about language, I'm somewhat surprised you are not concerned of any sexual references, as many of these particular novels, do have that way more than swearing and would suggest someone of the age of 13-14 to read it. Genesis Deluge, all prints has a rather sexual chapter early in the book.

Interesting. Can you tell me what page it's on? I haven't read it yet and I'd like to know what version I have.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
If you have the f word print, it will be on pg. 168 or thereabouts. In later prints, it is replaced by Indy's sentence, "You no good sadistic..."

Violet Indy said:
If you have the f word print, it will be on pg. 168 or thereabouts. In later prints, it is replaced by Indy's sentence, "You no good sadistic..."

Thanks. Yeah, mine is edited.

Well, now I'm determined to own both.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
It'll be interesting to see how many of us have the original and how many of us don't. I guess the TR.N staff are going to have to add that tidbit of info in their new Indy Lit section. :p Just as long as I get a nod for working it out. ;)

But there's really no difference between them otherwise. Just that one sentence. He says "No good sadistic" before being drugged whereas, the original he says the word, after he is drugged. The rest of the novel is the same. Though it makes me curious if any of the other novels were edited in their later editions in terms of sexual references and swearing. I have only one original, "Peril at Delphi" (as that one is out of print and I bought it secondhand) and the rest are re-prints. A little off the track, I have always wondered, which book they told Rob McGregor to cut the sex scene out of. He isn't clear in TR.N's interview.

Michael24

Interesting that the f-word was even there in the first place. How did the author get away with it? I'm guessing LucasFilm wasn't as heavily involved in approving the Indy books as they were the Star Wars books?

xVendetta17x

They really weren't since they established two different accounts of how Indy met Wu-Han
One in Dinosaur Eggs and in Emperor's tomb

UltimateManGod

xVendetta17x said:
They really weren't since they established two different accounts of how Indy met Wu-Han
One in Dinosaur Eggs and in Emperor's tomb

That's certainly something that has really bothered me. Inconsistencies in continuity bother me. On topic, my used copy of Genesis Deluge arrived today, and it is an original copy. Indy is still letting the f-bomb fly in my copy. I didn't remember him saying that when I borrowed the book from the library years ago. That copy must have been the edited one.

UltimateManGod

xVendetta17x said:
I always go by Emperor's tomb account because it was most recent

That's actually the reason I prefer Dinosaur Eggs version. It was released before Emperor's Tomb, and I feel that a book holds greater sway over a video game. Chronoligically, Dinosaur Eggs takes place before Emperor's Tomb also. It also seems weird that Indy would refer to Wu Han as "an old friend" if he only met him very recently. That's just me though.

xVendetta17x

That's true
I also liked the story of Dinosaur Eggs better because thne Emperor's Tomb because Emperor's Tomb just got ridiculous at the end
In no way in any universe would Indy travel to the Netherworlds
It was a good game till you arrived in China, then it just went downhill from there

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Indy has travelled to other dimensions before. He did in Infernal Machine to the "Atherium", also in the infamous Desktop Adventures using a crystal skull and in Rob McGregor's last book, "Interior World". So the whole travelling to the Netherworlds thing is not really new to the Expanded Universe. Also the game makers were probably not aware of Wu Han's appearance in "Dinosaur Eggs".

Iandiana

Ah the expanded universe! How better to destroy something awesome.

I always got peeved that SW: Truce at Bakura took place the day after ROTJ and started banging on about Luke's hand hurting. Way to bring the party down. But most of all the Dark Horse IJ and the Spear Of Destiny which starts after Last Crusade and has Indy and his dad complaining about what they lost out on.

Last Crusade has such an upbeat ending with the reconciliation of father and son and the realisation that Indy and his father found the one thing more important than the prize - each other.

So for Henry to feel "He was unworthy" is a real kick in the junk for a fan.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I agree. Despite it, I still go out and pay and read the damn things. Both Indy and SW expanded universe stuff. I've got a feeling that it's heaps cheaper to strongly believe that only the movies are canon, lol.