Indy-Cast Trivia II

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Ridley Scott told NPR's All Things Considered that he originally wanted Blade
Runner Rick Deckard to sport typical detective film noir wear: a
fedora, trench coat and gun. He decided against the hat once he saw
Indiana Jones' iconic wear in Raiders of the Lost Ark, shot directly
before Blade Runner.
He (or H.Ford) talked about the same thing in an 1982 interview with "Starlog" magazine.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Which TWO locations presented the crew with anachronisms, television aerials that were decidedly NOT at home in the late 30's and how were the issues resolved?
One location was used for the scene of Sallah's balconey overlooking "Cairo" (Kairouan, Tunisia). All the aerials were physically removed for the filming. 2nd location? As a wild guess, I'm going to say the establishing shot of Hatay in "Crusade"?

P.S. Who is Pedro?:confused:

Last edited:

The Drifter

Stoo said:
He (or H.Ford) talked about the same thing in an 1982 interview with "Starlog" magazine.

One location was used for the scene of Sallah's balconey overlooking "Cairo" (Kairouan, Tunisia). All the aerials were physically removed for the filming. 2nd location? As a wild guess, I'm going to say the establishing shot of Hatay in "Crusade"?

The second was in Venice, I think. They kept the antenna's in the scenes.

Tag-Team Champs...

Stoo said:

Nice bit of trivia...is it on the web somewhere? I'd love to read it. This question was from last year, but the NPR interview might still be up.

Stoo said:

Lonsome hit it!
Lonsome_Drifter said:
The second was in Venice, I think. They kept the antenna's in the scenes.

Stoo said:
P.S. Who is Pedro?:confused:
A listener who wrote in questioning the veracity of the show's last question...I think it was the Rules of Civility Question. He has since become member of the Trivia Brotherhood whose contributions you can hear each show. He's on the board here...I'll let him chime in.

Last edited:
Most people are familiar with the story regarding the panoramic view
of Cairo from the roof of Sallah's house that required the removal of
300 television aerials. The Last Crusade gave Robert Watts Deja Vu all
over again. While they were fortunate to have control of the Grand
Canal in Venice, the aerials mounted on the buildings were a shorter
lived headache than in Raiders. Douglas Slocomb assured Robert Watts
they would not be visible on film and they did not have to be removed.

Indy Trivia XXIII

The next question is in honor of the 50th episode of the IndyCast and
only answerable by the truly Hard Core Indy Cast Listener.

If you fancy yourself Hard Core you'll have this tied up before Ed
finishes reading.

What does the following list have in common?

The Henry Sr quote: Five Minutes would have been enough
The Indy quote: That belongs in a museum
James T Kirk screaming: Kahn!
Indy's: Fortune and Glory
Howard the Duck quote: I am now one of the dark warlords of the universe
Indy's:not as easy as it used to be
The Marion quote: Indiana Jones allways knew someday you'd come
walking back through my door...
Henry Sr's: and I never told him anything
The Marcus quote:the pen is mightier than the sword
The Sallah quote:Asps very dangerous and Cairo city of the living
The Wilhelm Scream
Indiana Jones and the Song of Theme
Top Secret's Val Kilmer and Eddie Tagoe sharing a bottle
Bogart and Federales from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The LSO tribute to John Williams
A deceitfully Discofied Indy
Ray Stanz's attempt to reason with Gozer and
Dan Aykroyd's Crystal Head pitch

Last edited:

Stoo

Rocket Surgeon said:
Nice bit of trivia...is it on the web somewhere? I'd love to read it. This question was from last year, but the NPR interview might still be up.
Is it on the web? I wouldn't know. Is there a web on it? Possibly (a spider web that is). All my Starlogs are sitting in a box in storage.:(

Rocket Surgeon said:
A listener who wrote in questioning the veracity of the show's last question...I think it was the Rules of Civility Question. He has since become member of the Trivia Brotherhood whose contributions you can hear each show. He's on the board here...I'll let him chime in.
Oh, I see. I've only listened to a few episodes. Congrats to Lonsome Drifter for getting the 2nd location.:)

Jorbex

Pedro would be me! :D

I don't really remember which question it was that I took issue with; it was a long time ago! ;)

I think Pat asked about something that had been cut from the film or something like that. Of course, by now I'm used to Pat's usual deviousness when creating trivia questions. (y)

Jorbex

I searched the archives and I found the question I had gripes about, way back when:

As a young boy, George Washington hoped to learn how to act like a proper eighteenth-century Virginia gentleman by copying the 110 "Rules of Civility" from a text by John T. Phillips. Which rule makes it to The Last Crusade?

Hint: The mailing address on the Grail Diary cannot be seen in the movie, neither can this minutia. If you've enjoyed the recent reading material flooding the bookstores since last May and you've paid close attention to the clues, a tenacious Indy Fan will make short work of this.

At the time, I felt that asking questions about things that are not actually in the movie was a bit... excessive, and I tried to answer it by reading all 110 rules and making a guess (which was wrong, BTW), but that was then; now I obsessively look forward to Pat's trivia, the tougher the better! :D

For the Hard Core Indy Cast Listener, as well as the 50th Episode of the Indy Cast: What does the following partial list have in common?

The Henry Sr quote: Five Minutes would have been enough
The Indy quotes: That belongs in a museum, and Fortune and Glory
James T Kirk screaming: Kahn!
Howard the Duck quote: I am now one of the dark warlords of the universe
The Wilhelm Scream
Indiana Jones and the Song of Theme
Top Secret's Val Kilmer Eddie Tagoe sharing a bottle
Bogart and Federales from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The LSO tribute to John Williams
A deceitfully Discofied Indy and
Dan Aykroyd's Crystal Head pitch

I listed them in the order they were podcasted, so the sooner you answered the more fanatical you are!

I mentioned closing out the Indy Cast last week, but in a tradition going back a year to episode 2, the Indy Cast credits and disclaimers would sometimes be followed by an additional clip referring to an earlier story or feature. Noteworthy was Ed's promise of no more discofied Indy which did manage a parting shot at the end of that episode.

Thanks again to Ed for over two years of shows packed into one.

Last edited:
Indy Trivia XXIV

In each of the movies, save Crystal Skull, Indy has left a trail of battered burnt and broken planes. Which movie(s) and which plane(s) came close to handicapping and terminating Harrison Ford?

Last edited:

DocWhiskey

I know he hurt his back in Raiders of the Lost Ark while fighting the German Mechanic around the flying wing. But that's all I know of.

Jorbex

DocWhiskey said:
I know he hurt his back in Raiders of the Lost Ark while fighting the German Mechanic around the flying wing. But that's all I know of.
You're mixing up injuries sustained during Temple of Doom (back) and during the flying wing sequence(another body part). :)

Robyn

Jorbex said:
You're mixing up injuries sustained during Temple of Doom (back) and during the flying wing sequence(another body part). :)

I remember the plane in Raiders, the wheel ran over his knee and ripped a tendon I think, I think I remember him saying he ice packed it and bandaged it and kept on going ;)

Jorbex

ronicle said:
I remember the plane in Raiders, the wheel ran over his knee and ripped a tendon I think, I think I remember him saying he ice packed it and bandaged it and kept on going ;)
You got it! (y)

The BV-38 Flying Wing pinned Harrison to the ground after he slipped during the fight scene. A story goes as far as recalling how the crew had to push it off him and that the intense desert heat had softened the wheel enough that, despite Harrison's initial scream it didn't crush his knee and he was able to ice it and go on with the show.

Harrison Ford told Prevue Magazine: "All day long the technical crew was having trouble with the plane. It weighed a couple of tons, so they were powering it with low-gear, high-torque electric motors -- the kind that can push through a brick wall without slowing down. They had to stay out of camera range, at the end of a cable 50 yards away. We rehearsed the scene several times, then decided to shoot." "Everybody's ready and the take begins. I go down and start to roll away -- and my foot slips, right under the rolling plane's tire. Everybody was yelling, 'Stop! STOP!' while the tire crawled up my leg. Luckily the brakes worked -- inches before my knee was crushed -- but I was pinned to the sand," Ford said. "I'm not normally a worrier, I know they're not going to kill the main character in a twenty million dollar film," Ford continued. "I also know Indy wouldn't look good with a peg-leg. I was a lot more careful about stunt work after that!"

Despite his new found caution, Harrison's luck with planes would continue. In one of the final scenes filmed for Raiders, he was climbing into the Biplane when it crashed while filming takeoffs in Hawaii. Harrison says, "he was unable to use the rudder of the airplane to control direction and we took off, we crashed." Pictures of the plane partially submerged, on the side Harrison was climbing, can be seen in The Complete Making of Indiana Jones. According to Harrison,"[Spielberg] left after it crashed the first time."

Last edited:
Indy Trivia XXV

One of Spielberg's painfully obvious models for the character of Mutt was Marlon Brando. For Indiana Jones in Raiders it was Humphrey Bogart. In which movie and where did Spielberg cast a fleeting cameo for Freddy Dobbs and who was the actor to portray him?

Hint: He's had roles in the movies Amistad, Cider House Rules, A Beautiful Mind, The Devil's Rejects, Mission Impossible III, Wedding Crashers and finished filming Angels and Demons

Long time Indy Cast listeners will have a leg up on this one...

Last edited: