What is the Best 90's Indy novel?

Tennessee R

Hello everyone,
I am a new member of this site as of today, or shall I say yesterday as it is about midnight here, but have been reading the posts of everyone quite regularly for about a year. I am a fan of Indiana Jones, and archaeology, and have a fairly large collection of Indy related gear, and things...

...But, the purpose of this post is to ask every one of the members here their advice on the Indiana Jones books. I know that there are a lot of people here that are better fans of the subject than me, so what is your favorite piece of literature, as in the books ?Perils of Delphi?, ?Mysteries of the Sphinx?, and all the others?

By the way, I went to delphi (to the temple of apollo, and where the oracle?s chamber was, and so forth) in Feb of ?03, so I will probably be interested in that book no matter what, but anyway, which ones do you think I and my brother (also an Indy fan) ought to get?

Tennessee R,
Signature under construction.

MP3

Hello, Tennessee R!

Welcome to the Raven, Where Paths Cross (© 2003 00Kevin, all rights reserved)

(That's our usual welcome slogan ;))

Anyway, I wish I could be of more help to you, but I can't - the Brooklyn Public Library that I go to never has any Indy books on shelf. Their catalog only lists "The Secret of the Sphinx", but it has yet to show up anywhere in the library. Oh well... maybe someday I'll merit to read the books... :rolleyes:

Webley

Last night I gest got to the end of Sky Pirates and that was one of the crapyest Jones books Iv seen, befor that I did the Delphi book and that was a reel good one but, the one I like best has to be Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy. I gest startted Hollow Earth right after I put down Sky Pirates Im on chapter 2 and so far it's grate.
{can you tell I get no TV?}

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I'd go for the books written by Wolfgang Hohlbein? if you could get a hold of those?
They are my personal favourites.
Good story's and well written.

And I agree with Webley on this one; avoid those written by Martin Caidin? (like Sky Pirates)
They are realy awful? the many and pointless details and descriptions drown the story.

The ones written by McCoy are somewhat linked...

Haven't read any by MacGregor, though? still searching?.

Tennessee R

Thank you MP3 for the welcome, I've been watching this site for a while, and so close, I knew it by heart :)
Thanks everyone for the advice, I shall see about getting some of those.
Oh, and P.S. Webley: I don't have a TV, but my trusty laptop wouldn't be trusty if I couldn't watch DVDs (ie Indy DVDs)!

Tennessee R.

Tom Jones

Webley said:
I gest startted Hollow Earth right after I put down Sky Pirates Im on chapter 2 and so far it's grate.
Let me be the first to tell you you're in for a good read. Hollow Earth's my favorite of the Indy novels. And I know Attila will agree with me in saying it?s a great Indy adventure.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Tom Jones said:
Webley said:
I gest startted Hollow Earth right after I put down Sky Pirates Im on chapter 2 and so far it's grate.
Let me be the first to tell you you're in for a good read. Hollow Earth's my favorite of the Indy novels. And I know Attila will agree with me in saying it?s a great Indy adventure.

Erm...um...what?

Ah, yes, of course! I do agree, quite wholeheartedly. Hollow Earth is my favorite also of the Indy novels. A truly great adventure, and rather unique as to location: Kansas, the American Southwest, New Orleans, and the Arctic.

Tom Jones

Attila the Professor said:
Tom Jones said:
Webley said:

Erm...um...what?

Ah, yes, of course! I do agree, quite wholeheartedly. Hollow Earth is my favorite also of the Indy novels. A truly great adventure, and rather unique as to location: Kansas, the American Southwest, New Orleans, and the Arctic.

The only reason why I knew you liked Hollow Earth was because there was a thread similar to this one a little while back where you posted Hollow Earth, as you?re favorite of the Indy books.

Tennessee R

Thanks Shipwreck for the link, and everyone. Tom Jones, seems like you and a good many others like Hollow Earth, so I guess I'll have to get that and a couple of others.

monkey

OK, a chance to play literary critic.

First of all, I know nothing of the Holbien books 'cuz I can't read German. So NOT including those:

The Max McCoy books are by far the best. Hollow Earth might be the best of the four. But I would recommend reading them in sequence.

I liked the McGreggor books less. I've read all but one of those. The best was Seven Veils.

Don't bother reading the two books that Martin Caidin wrote. They're dreadful. No offense to Caidin, he has written lots of good books, but he was definitely not suited to write IJ fiction.

Kind of like when Michael Jordan tried to play baseball.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Tom Jones said:
Attila the Professor said:
Tom Jones said:
Webley said:

Erm...um...what?

The only reason why I knew you liked Hollow Earth was because there was a thread similar to this one a little while back where you posted Hollow Earth, as you?re favorite of the Indy books.

No, I know I'd mentioned it before. I should have put in one of these guys (;)) I suppose.

thefumegator

I assume that you mean the best book of the ones that have been published. I haven't read many, but I think the best one I've read was The Hollow Earth by Max Mccoy. It makes much more sense if you read The Philosopher's Stone first, though.

I don't know why I enjoy Hollow Earth so much... I think it's the relationships with the characters, their situations, and most of all, the somber tone that it conveys toward the end.

I'm not sappy by nature, but then ending of this book puts it in a "realistic," albeit somewhat bleak, perspective.

HOWEVER -- from what we've seen from Shipwreck, we can expect the 'pillar of McCoy' to come crashing down when they publish his works. You just have to read part of them to understand.

Wes

Lord Excalibur

My absolute favorite is The Hollow Earth. I like Indy's character in this and the villian Rudolf Reingold kicks ass!!! I haven't read the rest of McCoy's books but I really wants to. I'm also planning to read Rob McGregor's when Indy hunts after Noah's Arc (can't remember the title)

[Edited by Lord Excalibur on 01-24-2004 at 10:22 am]

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Lord Excalibur said:
My absolute favorite is The Hollow Earth. I like Indy's character in this and the villian Rudolf Reingold kicks ass!!! I haven't read the rest of McCoy's books but I really wants to. I'm also planning to write Rob McGregor's when Indy hunts after Noah's Arc (can't remember the title)

It's the Genesis Deluge.

Tennessee R

Thanks everyone for your help.

I just yesterday received Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi by MacGregor. So far it's pretty good, although I haven't gotten very far in it yet.

Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth by McCoy, and Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx, are on their way, maybe tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help.