Which Wine to whine about . . .

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
roundshort,

Any good hotels with a good pool and kid friendly on the north part of the valley?

Solage has an AWESOME pool, and a seperate pee (opps I mean kiddy) pool, Great gym, and restaurant.

It is about 1 mile form where I live. Love it

Stoo

roundshort said:
Still cant belive I missed you while you were here. I know Bo, the guy the movie is kinda about. I still have not seen it. I am sure I will now that it is on DVD.
I was in the was right place at the wrong time and you were in the wrong place at the right time (if that makes any sense)!
Cool about you knowing the guy, and I'm not surpised! Kudos to him as a bottle of the winning label is in the Smithsonian.
When we were in town, a few posters for the film were at the little theatre there. You'll probably enjoy the flick.:)

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
Solage has an AWESOME pool, and a seperate pee (opps I mean kiddy) pool, Great gym, and restaurant.

It is about 1 mile form where I live. Love it

You're saying I can bring my vermin that joint? [stupid question for Napa I know] Is there anything that's just a smidge more kid friendly?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe, I feel your pain. We had a mini vacation to Anaheim, (kid friendly, riiiiiiight) and tried to eat at the Napa Rose. It's not that the 'the vermin' was bad, it's just that JJ got bored discussing all the nuances of bacon wrapped foie gras after 20 min.

Stoo

Another bump - Re: Ravenswood Zinfandel
Pale Horse said:
Indeed, it is a staple at the Horse house, (or is that a stable at the Pale house). How was the winery?
The selection of California wines in Switzerland is very slim so while I was back home for July, I brought a bottle of Ravenswood to a BBQ and it was enjoyed by all. I'm now a fan who is spreading the word...

On the flight back, I chose a Rodney Strong Sonoma Chardonnay (made from passion fruit and peach, I believe) and it went very well with the grilled veal. Anyone familiar with Rodney? Apparently, he's somewhat famous in the region?

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
On the flight back, I chose a Rodney Strong Sonoma Chardonnay (made from passion fruit and peach, I believe) and it went very well with the grilled veal. Anyone familiar with Rodney? Apparently, he's somewhat famous in the region?

I prefer reds. But, yes, Rodney Strong is pretty famous. His Merlot has probably been on every wine list that I've ever come across while dining out. Good value, and good tasting.

deckard24

I just recently saw Bottle Shock, and I thought it was a pretty decent flick. It gave me some insight into the history of American wines, specifically the rise of the Napa Valley wineries.

I've never been a big wine drinker, even though I've been pretty familiar with them from years of work in the restaurant industry, but that's been changing a bit as of late. So do you guys have any good recommendations for the novice wine drinker, specifically in the affordable reds category? A few weeks back my wife and I shared a bottle of Valley of the Moon: Meritage Cabernet, and it was really good! It was not too pricey, and went great with the filets we had. Anyone familiar with this brand?

roundshort

Enjoying a bottle of 2006 Casa Piena Cabernet. The new winery of Carmen Policy ( see San Fran 49ers). A pretty great bottle!

Pale Horse

Staff member
A whole bottle, eh? Must be pretty good. A nod from you means it will go into the purchasing bin for me.

Wonder what types of grapes the vikings will chose, now that Brett is no longer a consideration.... <wink>

deckard24 said:
I just recently saw Bottle Shock, and I thought it was a pretty decent flick. It gave me some insight into the history of American wines, specifically the rise of the Napa Valley wineries.

Thanks for the recommendation...get to see Wind that Shakes the Barley yet?

Had to try Coppola's Merlot...eh. The Sterling Cab is nice and popular out here, but expensive, I know a place that charges $20 a glass!

deckard24

Rocket Surgeon said:
Thanks for the recommendation...get to see Wind that Shakes the Barley yet?

Had to try Coppola's Merlot...eh. The Sterling Cab is nice and popular out here, but expensive, I know a place that charges $20 a glass!
Still working on it. Thankfully it's on On Demand, so I can check it out very soon for free!(y)

That's right, it was one of Coppola's, I forgot.

I just recently had glasses of Sketchbook Pinot Noir and Montes Cabernet Sauvignon, not bad at all. I'd definitely go with the Pinot again, it tastes great with seafood.

Le Saboteur

John Lasseter...

...has his own winery, too. Recently opened. For some reason, I can't just drive up to Napa and pick up a few bottles to sample. They want to ship it to you, and shipping costs just as much, if not more, in some cases.

Lasseter Family Winery

I may have to cave and pony up shipping costs.

Merlove: a documentary my sister's friend put together. It was pretty interesting.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Okay, who's the smuck who ordered this?!

bar_tab_bruins.jpg

"you spilled some"
bruins-celebration-3.jpg

Hey Roundshort! Have you tried Ace?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Oh yeah...Now we're talking

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DfTaMzV4oFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DfTaMzV4oFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bwahahaha, real men aren't afraid of a tinting of a gorgeous juice.

I smell freedom.

Think I've been inspired to drink some freedom right now.