Indiana Jones References on TV

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://garycoleman.net/gary-coleman-the-fantastic-world-of-d-c-collins-1984
Gary Coleman ? The Fantastic World of D.C. Collins (1984)

Gary-Coleman-Fantastic-World-Of-DC-Collins-2.jpg

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Lon said:
Also in an episode of MacGyver where he's asked to go find the Holy Grail he says "Indiana Jones already found it. I saw the movie."

MacGyver had many Indy references. I remember an episode where he had fallen in a den of snakes and he make a path of fire to keep them away and in another where he found himself in a booby trapped place of Incas origin and found some kind of treasure. It was corn if I remember correctly.

Spurlock

If anyone watches the Big Bang Theory, the one that comes on will be about raiders of the lost ark. Sheldon's girlfriend will watch it for the first time and ruin it for him, so he tries to ruin something for her.

indyclone25

on this week's show "the goldbergs" the youngest child has a raiders of the lost ark poster in his room , not much of a reference but nice seeing the poster in a room like i had when i grew up in the eighties :D

Le Saboteur

This is the thread I originally wanted.

A rather strong reference/homage/whatever that's been forgotten about by the fans here (including myself until earlier today) came from an unexpected source.

Xena: Warrior Princess did an entire episode spoofing Dr. Jones in their second season! Gabrielle became Janice "Mad Dog" Covington, Xena had become Mel, a demure Southern Belle, and that guy Ted Raimi played was doing his best Claude Raines impression.

Synopsis said:
The year is 1940. Dr. Janice Covington, a tough and determined young archeologist, is supervising work on a Macedonian dig. She and her men are searching for the key to unlock a tomb containing the ancient Xena Scrolls, the most important archeological find of the century, when Melinda Pappas, the daughter of a world renowned archeologist and a student in the field herself, arrives unexpectedly. Immediately set upon by armed thugs, Melinda is quickly rescued by Covington, who drives the trespassers off with her gatling gun.

Mel explains that while sorting through her deceased father's records, she found a telegram from Janice asking for help in translating ancient writings and has come to offer her services...

Xena-Warrior-Princess-2x10-The-Xena-Scrolls.avi.Still003.jpg

You can find the entire Xena Scrolls episode on Hulu Plus and Netflix's Instant View services. Subscription required for both, of course.

Montana Smith

In the first season of the Fantastic Four animated series, the episode entitled ?The Mask of Doom Part II? (1994):

Under Dr. Doom?s castle is a booby trapped maze including a giant spiked rolling ball, at which Ben Grimm remarks, ?Dr. Doom watched an Indiana Jones picture!?

Later on Reed, Ben and Johnny cross a rickety, treacherous rope bridge to get back into the castle. And once back inside they discover that Sue has been placed in a room which will reduce in size every eight hours until she's "very hard pressed."

In order to prevent her death the others must go back in time to ancient Greece "to find a certain artefact" (the Coffin of Argos) and return it to Dr. Doom.

Ben asks, "What's an artefact?" Which is odd, as we know he's been an Indy fan since Raiders!

indianathing.jpg

Fantastic Four #241 (April 1982)

Z dweller

Showing now on ESQHD, an episode of Psych (detective comedy-drama television series) titled Indiana Shawn and the Temple of the Kinda Crappy, Rusty Old Dagger.

Never watched this before, but the main character is donning an Indy costume, whip included.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
In one of the final Futurama episodes, a freighter which sinks in the Sargaseous Sea (in space) carries crates which include the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail.

TheFedora

New episode of the Librarians (episode 4) "The Librarians....and Santa's Midnight Run" had a direct reference to Indy.

It did the 'map' thing, when they travel across large distances by car/plan complete with the line and what sounded like a mix between the Indy score and bad christmas music. But it was a direct homage.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Exulted Unicron said:
A friend of mine showed me the latest episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. In which, one of the ponies is in hospital and find a book called Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone. The segments based on the book are a pastiche of Raiders with a hint of James Bond. Even some of the music of Daring Do approaching the Sapphire Stone is a nod to the Raiders Soundtrack

I saw this earlier today, Season 2, Episode 16, titled "Read It and Weep." It's one of the more fully executed Indy pastiches I've seen, music, camera angles, and even aspect ratio included. It's on Netflix Instant in the States through February 2nd.

Take a gander.

640px-Daring_Do_tests_floor_trap_with_rock_S2E16.png

640px-Sapphire_stone_begins_to_flare_S2E16.png

640px-Daring_Do_being_careful_S2E16.png

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Goldbergs

indyclone25 said:
on this week's show "the goldbergs" the youngest child has a raiders of the lost ark poster in his room , not much of a reference but nice seeing the poster in a room like i had when i grew up in the eighties
From the mailbag:
I handle PR for the tv series The Goldbergs. There is an upcoming episode that is inspired by Indiana Jones/ Harrison Ford, and I would love to pass on a clip for you to post to your fan page! The episode is airing on Wednesday 3/7 and we would love your support. Please let me know if you're interested, and I can pass along something for you to post
From Wikipedia:
"Adam Spielberg" - Adam decides to make his own Indiana Jones film with Jackie and Erica's help, and despite his insistence that she does not interfere, Beverly enlists Johnny, Carla, Dan, Taz Money and the JTP to assist with the production. The filming is plagued with issues, leading Adam to have a nervous breakdown and abandon his dream of directing. Beverly helps him see that the part of the process he most enjoyed was the scriptwriting, and he decides to pursue writing as a career, while the production resumes with Johnny as director.
Not currently viewable.