What should the next Indy lady be like?

Z dweller

Attila the Professor said:
if Indy spends some time with a Marcus type, that character could be a woman.
Yes, excellent idea!

When I started this thread, I was working on the assumption that the fifth move would be a prequel with a younger actor, and imagined the next Indy lady as "a sophisticated, smart, scholarly character who ends up actively helping Indy solve the puzzles and defuse the boobytraps they encounter in their quest for the macguffin".

Your post made me realize that such a character would work just as well with older Indy, particularly if she's a colleague. (y)

The only difference with my original vision would be the lack of romantic developments.
Indy is now married to Marion and wouldn't fool around, particularly at his age.

Attila the Professor said:
Not Helen Mirren, necessarily, as she's a rather obvious choice, though she could easily play not-72 to Ford's not-75.
Mirren would be great, IMO.

If they go for someone younger, Michelle Pfeiffer would also be a good choice.
She'll be around 60 by time they start shooting.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Z dweller said:
If they go for someone younger, Michelle Pfeiffer would also be a good choice.She'll be around 60 by time they start shooting.

Plus they've worked together before.

0584148_19444_MC_Tx360.jpg

Raiders90

Helen Mirren really should've been considered for an Indy girl back in the day. She could be both seductive and dangerous. She would've, in her heyday, made a great female villain. She had the acting chops too that she could've even portrayed a rival of Indy's in the field of archaeology on par or surpassing Belloq. A Dame who unlike Belloq doesn't mind getting her hands dirty to get what she wants. So many missed opportunities....

Raiders90

Pale Horse said:
Brown chicken brown cow.

It worked in The Misfits.
clark-gable-and-marilyn-monroe-in-the-misfits.jpg

While Gable was only 59 he obviously looked a lot much older. Plus 59 was considered a LOT older than in 1960 than it is now. Marilyn was 34 at the time.

TheAdventurer

I'm not sure why they made Indy get married, but I guess they have to roll with it some how. So...
Here are a few things that I think it could work.
Just get rid of Marian. As classic as Marian's character was, I would like to see them either kill her off or get rid of her some how in the next movie. You could have her already be dead or gone by the start of the movie. And then that could play into some of the character development for Indy and Mutt (if he's even in it). Also, I think it would just be a bit weird to have Indy's character be married.

Family Adventure. I'm sure that they could have some family fun with Indy, Marian and Mutt going on a family adventure, but it would be really tricky getting it to work within an Indy movie. Plus that was kind of already done with Indy 4 so you can't really do much more in that area.

Marian could be in it but maybe she just doesn't go along for the ride. This wouldn't be a terrible way to keep her involved as little as possible. Indy and Mutt go on an adventure and Marian simply stays home.

Anyways, In my opinion, I'd prefer them to not have Marian in the next movie but I know that they've kinda written her back into the story in a big way so what ever happens they would have to tie up some lose ends if they get rid of her all of the sudden. If there is anything that bothers me in movies its loop holes and killing off characters just because they can.

seasider

The one thing about the Indy/Marion relationship is that there a history of estrangement where they're together and then they have a falling out. I can see a scenario where for whatever reason their marriage has hit a rough patch and they are temporarily separated.

I don't mind having Indy paired up with another leading lady companion but I would prefer the movie end or at least allude to him going back to Marion.

Kai Hagen

How about them?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tDA3u_h2POA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WNeZ6QIb2a4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IndyBuff

seasider said:
The one thing about the Indy/Marion relationship is that there a history of estrangement where they're together and then they have a falling out. I can see a scenario where for whatever reason their marriage has hit a rough patch and they are temporarily separated.

I don't mind having Indy paired up with another leading lady companion but I would prefer the movie end or at least allude to him going back to Marion.

That's ow I feel as well. I don't mind a new leading lady stepping in, so long as Marion remains in the picture in some fashion.

BlueCoronado

With phoebe's character being the next indy "girl" I don't think she's indys love interest. Hed married with children and grandchildren at this point. She's young af....

Nerdpants

Highly possible that Indy is a grandfather at this point given his age.

Obviously, this will be for the writers of Indy 5 to decide.. nothing was suggested in KOTCS that Mutt had a son.

I wonder if Indy fathered children to other women? I think this is a person that had a lot of relationships. Only got married when he was an old man..

Z dweller

Highly possible that Indy is a grandfather at this point given his age.

Obviously, this will be for the writers of Indy 5 to decide.. nothing was suggested in KOTCS that Mutt had a son.
While this is logically possible, I don't see Mangold going for it.
Commercially, there's no upside to giving Indy grandchildren, only unncessary risks.
I can already imagine the snide comments...

Personally the idea of Mutt's children being mentioned, let alone seen, makes me :sick:. I never liked the character at all and hope we've seen and heard the last of him in KOTCS.

I wonder if Indy fathered children to other women? I think this is a person that had a lot of relationships. Only got married when he was an old man..

Again, this is quite possible logically, but extremely unlikely to feature in Indy 5 IMO.