Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

The Tingler

Hi guys, I wrote the Mojo piece quoted by Moedred above. Damn annoying. LucasArts really don't seem to have a clue. Big Indy revival with the first film in 19 years, and what do they have for release? A Lego-ized kiddy version of the first three films, something which could've been released any time in the last two decades. It'll be good, but I share your want for a new Indy experience.

You would think LucasArts would actually want to make money. If they haven't got a new Indy game (which should've been finished a year ago), then why don't they re-release the older Indy games? Why is this page so barren? At least six systems and only one game! Not even Emperor's Tomb!

If The Force Unleashed is great, then so will be Indy 2009. We've still got ages to wait for it though.

Crack that whip

The Tingler said:
Hi guys, I wrote the Mojo piece quoted by Moedred above. Damn annoying. LucasArts really don't seem to have a clue. Big Indy revival with the first film in 19 years, and what do they have for release? A Lego-ized kiddy version of the first three films, something which could've been released any time in the last two decades.

Or any time LEGO had the Indiana Jones license, anyway, which just happened.

FWIW, the LEGO Star Wars games have been among the most well-received games they've done in a long time, both critically and commercially. I don't think there's a thing wrong with doing LEGO Indiana Jones. Video games are supposed to be fun.

The Tingler

Don't worry, I totally agree - LEGO Indy is my most wanted game! I've already played it, and it's awesome.

But I'd trade it for a new, original Indy game in a heartbeat.

ILoooooveCamels

Maybe they played Uncharted and felt the "revolutionary" gameplay system they had in place didn't compare favorably. :hat:

Count me among those who don't believe they'd abandon it, as far along as they appeared to be even in 2005/2006 (whenever they released the trailer). And it makes perfect sense that they'd want to space it apart from LEGO Indy, and, considering the kid-focused marketing push KOTCS is getting, it makes sense that they'd put out the kid-friendly title first (to coincide with the movie) too.

ILoooooveCamels said:
Maybe they played Uncharted and felt the "revolutionary" gameplay system they had in place didn't compare favorably. :hat:

Count me among those who don't believe they'd abandon it, as far along as they appeared to be even in 2005/2006 (whenever they released the trailer). And it makes perfect sense that they'd want to space it apart from LEGO Indy, and, considering the kid-focused marketing push KOTCS is getting, it makes sense that they'd put out the kid-friendly title first (to coincide with the movie) too.

I'm pretty sure that if they had bandoned the idea, they wouldn't still have stuff up about it on the LucasArts site.

The Tingler

The rumours go that either:

1. The original team who had been working on it for ages and made all those pictures and videos we've seen weren't doing a good (or quick) enough job and were replaced, with development all but starting again.

Or:

2. All the work done until late 2007 was just pre-production work, and the videos were all just test videos and not actually part of the game in any way. Proper development has only just started.

Either way, and even if they're not true, LucasArts obviously bit off more than it could chew with their new talent and mostly focused on Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and will only go into full production with Indy until after that game is released. The new Indiana Jones game comes out 2009, unless they really screw things up again.

DocWhiskey

The Tingler said:
The rumours go that either:

1. The original team who had been working on it for ages and made all those pictures and videos we've seen weren't doing a good (or quick) enough job and were replaced, with development all but starting again.

Or:

2. All the work done until late 2007 was just pre-production work, and the videos were all just test videos and not actually part of the game in any way. Proper development has only just started.

Either way, and even if they're not true, LucasArts obviously bit off more than it could chew with their new talent and mostly focused on Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and will only go into full production with Indy until after that game is released. The new Indiana Jones game comes out 2009, unless they really screw things up again.

Yeah, I agree. Lucas knows how to market these things. I'm thinking we'll get some new footage/ another announcement perhaps around the DVD release of KotCS.

The Tingler

Now this is total Surfer Girl rumour, but hopeful. This was on her latest rumour list:

The release for A2M's Indy game is currently scheduled to coincide with the Crystal Skull home video release.
A2M's Indy game, which has not been officially announced and has only ever been mentioned from Surfer Girl's blog, is the equivalent of Krome Studios' version of The Force Unleashed. In other words, the Wii/PS2 version.

She has been wrong before about the new Indy game (for example saying that it definitely will be out before Lego Indy), but where there's hope for a 2008 release I'll back it all the way! Even on the Wii! (which looks like the best version of The Force Unleashed at the moment. Imagine using the Wii Remote to flick the whip! Or fight like in Wii Sports Boxing!)

Shortie

I'd rather have it for the 360. Most games on Wii are crappy except Nintendo exlcusives. (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc..)

The Tingler

I really have high hopes for The Force Unleashed on the Wii as the control scheme looks the most interesting, and the Duel mode looks ace. However, I don't expect them to be anything less than cheap knock-offs.

This is mostly for the hope that if the cheap knockoff is coming this year the proper version can't be far behind. That's called "optimism" kids!

The Tingler

I think we're all just hopeful that LucasArts will actually show something at E3! They'd be morons not to with all the Indy buzz going around.

I just want the damn title! I'm fed up with calling it Indy 2006/7/8/9!

|ZiR|

The Tingler said:
I just want the damn title! I'm fed up with calling it Indy 2006/7/8/9!

Agreed.

Man, there haven't even been any rumors about possible macguffins, plot details, or ANYTHING. This game was announced back in '06.

What. The. Hell. >:[

The Tingler

There's a 'Facts & Rumours' page for the game at IndyJones.net (which I jointly run with another Mojo member), and there we put forward some of the hints and rumours towards the MacGuffin (amongst other things) from the little we've been told.

The only hint we've had is that Indy will
"piece together a mystery of biblical proportions"
, which suggests another Bible MacGuffin along the lines of the Ark of the Covenant or the Tower of Babel.

Staff of Aaron/Moses maybe (as seen in Max McCoy's The Secret of the Sphinx Indy book), or maybe Noah's Ark (The Genesis Deluge). That's the trouble, most of the good Bible artifacts are taken.

The only other, and maybe most likely, possibility is the Spear of Destiny, which was nearly made into an Indy game before (you can read about it here, along with others). The Spear that pierced Christ's side in the crucifixion, causing his blood to flow out like water which was then caught in the Holy Grail. The only difference here is that the Spear was the artifact that Hitler was actually searching for in real life! And, supposedly, found!

San Holo

Somewhere, a long time ago, in posts far, far away....it was speculated/halfway accepted to be the Staff of Moses. I have always held out hope that Indy would be looking for King Solomon's treasure in the catacombs under Jerusalem, but that's just me:hat:

The Tingler

Of course it all could have changed since that early first rumour, but if it is still a Bible-based MacGuffin, I'm betting on Spear of Destiny. May have a comic, but doesn't have a book. Fate of Atlantis had a comic too.

Jones JR

San Holo said:
We should start seeing some new screenshots from Lucasarts after the first of the year for the new Indy game. E3 is coming up and I'll bet they will toss us a bone or two in regards to the Indy franchise. Is it coming out in '06 or '07?

It´s 2008 and I´ve not seen the game in the stores, is it late?