The Librarian

A2Steve

Lance Quazar said:
I dunno, I thought they were watchable, but forgettable.

The reduced budget and production values really does hamper this kind of story. The cheesy result is fun in an old fashioned, drive-in movie kind of way, but it makes it hard to really get into the story. The light-as-air plot and characterizations don't help in that regard, either.

Being overseas, doesn't really feel worth the expense to seek these out.

Stateside, I think they're worth a netflix rental at best.

there's different ways of getting things overseas, that arent as expensive as one might think. As I've said before, I've got my top men on the situation. Top men...

In an unrelated matter, they have REALLY fast internet access in Asia! Files can be downloaded REALLY fast. If one were to be interested in such a matter. and the concepts of copyrights and DRM seem more like a suggestion. (y)

Ska

The first Librarian movie was pretty good, imo. Sure it was cheesy, but it held true to a modern day adventure serial. 8/10

The second movie was a slight step down. It still held the adventure qualities of the first movie, but I was really turned off by the "chemistry" between Flynn and the leading lady (forget her name). 6.5/10

The third movie was a larger step down. The series seemed to go from an adventure movie to a sci-fi Buffy the Vampire Slayer type movie. Plus it took place entirely within the US, so it lost all the exotic settings. 2/10

A2Steve

I'd expect something like this to have a bit of cheese... on purpose! I mean, something about a library with the ark of the covenant, the goose that lays the golden egg, and Excalibur.... dipping in cheese fondue seems to go with the territory!

Major West

The first one is the best. All worth a watch though. The films are out on Blu-ray too now, from Australia. I imported them recently, and they seem to be region free.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Let me just say.... Just got these movies recently just because of the Raider.Net had talked about it.

I've watched all three and I really enjoyed all of them. I liked the third film the best. (y) It really is worth watching, even though it can be a bit cheesy at times.

I would also like to note that the Second film has another Indy artifact featured (hint: not talking about the Ark that appears in all three).

As far as I know the Australian DVD's are either Region 4 PAL or region free. Sometimes one can actually program their DVD player to play other regions.

JgonzalezNJ

For those who enjoyed the films or are interested in them since The Raider did an article on them. There are certain Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos that are closing and I picked up all 3 films for $12.00. I know its not action figures but I thought I would post it here anyway.:hat:

JgonzalezNJ

I picked these up as well because of The Raider. There are certain Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos that are closing and I picked up all 3 films for $12.00.:hat:

RedeemedChild

JgonzalezNJ said:
For those who enjoyed the films or are interested in them since The Raider did an article on them. There are certain Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos that are closing and I picked up all 3 films for $12.00. I know its not action figures but I thought I would post it here anyway.:hat:

I've never seen The Librarian but I did hear someone refer to it as a cross between National Treasure and Indiana Jones. I'll see I can find them at the a library and view them so I can see if they are worth buying before I go and waste my money. I'd also like to see NBC's The Last Templar. I heard and read that it had a lady in the lead as a
treasure hunter."

acsgrlie

I haven't watched them in awhile but I remember liking the 1st one the best which is the only one I have on DVD. Noah Wyle is great as the action hero and is kinda Indiana/National Treasure-lite.

JgonzalezNJ

RedeemedChild said:
I've never seen The Librarian but I did hear someone refer to it as a cross between National Treasure and Indiana Jones. I'll see I can find them at the a library and view them so I can see if they are worth buying before I go and waste my money. I'd also like to see NBC's The Last Templar. I heard and read that it had a lady in the lead as a
treasure hunter."

FYI, TRU has the new one for $9.99:gun:

JgonzalezNJ

Picked up all 3 films at Hollywood Video for $12.00, TRU has the 3rd one for $9.99. Half way through the 3rd one and its not as good as the first one.:whip:

Lance Quazar

I've seen the first and third films and wouldn't spend one thin dime to own them.

However, they're worth a netflix rental.....if you're really, really bored.

TheFedora

The Librarian Tv series

Watch first trailer here!

TNT is returning to the world of its hit The Librarian franchise with a brand new series from Electric Entertainment and executive producers Dean Devlin, John Rogers and Marc Roskin. Rebecca Romijn (X-Men), Christian Kane ("Leverage," "Angel"), Lindy Booth (Dawn of the Dead, The Philanthropist) and John Kim (Neighbors, The Pacific) star in the series as the newest protectors of the world's mystical treasures, with Emmy winner John Larroquette ("Night Court," Deception) as their reluctant caretaker. Noah Wyle ("Falling Skies," "ER") serves as executive producer and recurs as Flynn Carsen, the role he played in TNT's movie trilogy. Also reprising their roles from the movies will be guest stars Bob Newhart ("The Big Bang Theory," "The Bob Newhart Show") and Jane Curtin ("Kate & Allie," "3rd Rock from the Sun"). Today, "The Librarians" has debuted a new trailer, which you can check out in the player below.

"The Librarians" centers on an ancient organization hidden beneath the Metropolitan Public Library dedicated to protecting an unknowing world from the secret, magical reality hidden all around. This group solves impossible mysteries, fights supernatural threats and recovers powerful artifacts from around the world. Among the artifacts housed in the Library are the Ark of the Covenant, the Spear of Destiny, the Judas Chalice and Excalibur, to name a few. Only a person with special skills could be responsible for collecting and protecting these artifacts, and more importantly, for preventing them from falling into the wrong hands.

For the past 10 years, Flynn Carsen (Wyle) has served as the Librarian. Prior to taking the job, he was a bookish nerd with 22 academic degrees and absolutely no social skills. As Librarian, however, he managed to use his extraordinary knowledge, successfully recovering ancient artifacts and, in the process, saving the world from unspeakable evil on more than one occasion. Over the last decade he's gone from bookworm to dashing swashbuckler, one of the secret heroes of the hidden world.

As great as Flynn is, the job of Librarian has become more than one person can handle. To aid him in his duties, the Library has recruited four people from around the world to defend the Library from dark magic, including Eve Baird (Romijn), a highly skilled counter-terrorism agent who is responsible for protecting the group and keeping them all alive; Jacob Stone (Kane), an Oklahoma oil worker with an IQ of 190 and an encyclopedic knowledge of art history; Cassandra Cillian (Booth), a quirky young woman with the special gift of auditory and sensory hallucinations linked to memory retrieval, known as synesthesia; and Ezekiel Jones (Kim), a master of new technologies and aficionado of old classic crimes who enjoys playing the role of international man of mystery who has sticky fingers.

Overseeing the new team of Librarians is the somewhat cantankerous Jenkins (Larroquette), an expert in ancient lore who has been working out of the Library's branch office for longer than anyone knows. Together, they must tangle with many adversaries, chief of whom is the Serpent Brotherhood, an ancient cult led by the mysterious immortal Dulaque (Matt Frewer).

Read more: TNT Debuts a New Trailer for their Upcoming Series The Librarians - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=124760#ixzz3I8I4vHaw
Follow us: @ComingSoonNet on Twitter | ComingSoon on Facebook

Le Saboteur

TheFedora said:

Well, that was something of a surprise. I didn't think TNT would plumb this well again, let alone in a series-like format. It'll be interesting to see what they do with a ten episode season. Will there be an overarching story or will it rely on the traditional freak of the week? Or a combination of the two? I'm guessing that'll it rely on the latter even though I'm having a hard time imagining what the tissue will be connects it all.

That said, it's the very blueprint for another Indiana Jones film!

Beyond that, it has potential. The FX still don't quite blend with the live-action stuff, but they've definitely gotten better. John Larroquette is a welcome addition, and it looks like Bruce Campbell has a cameo (at least). Anything Bruce "The Chin" Campbell is worth watching.

Ahoy.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Af1OxkFOK18?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheFedora

^I agree, I think it may be the closest we'll get to an Indiana Jones tv series ever since Young Indy went off the air. With ten episodes seasons...I think it will have one or two monsters that seem random, but might have some connection to the overall story.

Stoo

TheFedora said:
I think it may be the closest we'll get to an Indiana Jones tv series ever since Young Indy went off the air.
"We"? Weren't you, like, about 2 or 3 years old when Young Indy was cancelled?:confused: Thanks for the heads-up but there have been other TV shows since '93 that were much more Indiana Jones-ish than Young Indy ever was (for example: "Relic Hunter" and "Adventure, Inc.").
Le Saboteur said:
Well, that was something of a surprise. I didn't think TNT would plumb this well again, let alone in a series-like format.
The first "Librarian" was fun. The second one was so-so but I enjoyed it because of the Solomon's Mines connection. Haven't seen the third but want to. Will definitely check out this new series.
comingsoon.net said:
TNT is returning to the world of its hit The Librarian franchise...
---
The Librarian franchise of movies began in 2004...
What idiotic pinhead wrote this article?!?:confused: These TV movies were created & done EXCLUSIVELY for TNT and no "Librarian" merchandise was ever spilling off the shelves. It's NOT a frickin' "FRANCHISE"!:gun:

RenStimpyIdiot_zps78f4b5d5.jpg

TheFedora

New Interview about the Librarians Tv show.

Its an interview with one of the main cast members...I think this particular quote from the interview says it all about the flavor they are trying to achieve. Basically Indiana Jones with a team dynamic, if that makes sense.:whip:

Q: Aside from the premise ? magic in an esoteric library ? For you, what?s the ?fun? of the show? It?s most entertaining aspects?

I remember watching Indiana Jones with my dad when I was a kid. I think the show has so much of that: A) that you could watch it with your kid, and B) just the fun, the adventure, the joy ? the fact that it doesn?t take itself too seriously, even with life-and-death subjects, there?s always some great humor.

TheFedora

Okay, I watched the first three episodes of this. Cheesy? Yes. Bad dialogue? Yes. Somehow surprisingly watchable...yes. Its like I know its cheesy, but can't stop watching it. Not quite as much of an Indy vibe, you get that more of a Doctor Who kind of vibe... I guess what I can compare it to. One of the 'team' (the guy with the kewpie hair) seems to be trying to do an uncharted vibe for whatever reason (the bandanna with the khaki vest or whatever he wore in the 1st episode) made me think that. There are some good artifacts here, and the sense of adventure is strong, at least...

So thats my review so far. I'll watch the next one next week and see how it goes.