Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Pale Horse

Staff member
curmudgeon said:
Gareth Edwards (Godzilla) has been hired to direct the first stand-alone spin-off, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta (The Book of Eli)

Film now set for December 16th, 2016.

No announcement of what/who the film is about, though.

Gareth Edwards, so HOT RIGHT NOW!
giphy.gif

AndyLGR

Yep they're going to be shooting a new Star Wars movie every year, which seems so strange to say, I hope they don't oversaturate the market.

Grizzlor

Disney is using the Marvel plan, has worked so far in that realm. I prefer to have more theatrical releases for SW, whereas a franchise like Star Trek belongs on TV. I think the planned McCallum/Lucas TV series would have been a bomb. This is better.

As for filming early next year, perhaps it just makes more sense in terms of their scheduling. They're not going to wait for the response to Ep. VII, they have to get moving right away.

Finn

Staff member
Grizzlor said:
Disney is using the Marvel plan, has worked so far in that realm.
Hmm. Since the Marvel films regularly put various characters in the limelight, I wonder if this could open an avenue to sneak in certain another Lucas-created hero as one of their yearly installments? Of course, there should be more than enough material in the SW galaxy alone (not to mention far less room for crossovers unless they want to get really creative), but it is something to ponder.

Grizzlor

Finn said:
Hmm. Since the Marvel films regularly put various characters in the limelight, I wonder if this could open an avenue to sneak in certain another Lucas-created hero as one of their yearly installments? Of course, there should be more than enough material in the SW galaxy alone (not to mention far less room for crossovers unless they want to get really creative), but it is something to ponder.

Depends on when the 2nd standalone comes out. Is it due in 2017?

AndyLGR

Grizzlor said:
Ah, I thought they were leaving 3 years between them.
They are really squeezing the timescales for these, hence my comment earlier about over saturation.

Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo said:
I hear some things too from time to time... and this links up with some of the rumblings I've been hearing down the pipeline. I usually wait for anyone else within reason to publicly make a statement before I fully believe it myself. This is very close to the chatter I heard. So I'll go with it. (Unless we were all duped by some JJ ABRAMS style misinformation. :dead: )

please don't quote me... still just conjecture
There is a second part of this "rumor" that I'm waiting to see pan out. It could potentially be interesting if handled correctly.

I try and stay as credible as I can here... nobody likes to make themselves seem foolish... but for once I'll just lay it on the line or go out on a dangerous limb (if it turns out untrue I'll hang my head in shame. but some of my friends are pretty close to batting a thousand with their info. I hope they don't make me eat my words)

At first we were hearing it was two spinoff films, one for Han Solo and one for Boba Fett. Lately the talk I'm hearing is much more indicative of: Kasdan wrote a Han Solo/Boba Fett film... as in one film about their conflict.

Like I said if this turns out to be the case then the handling of the film will be the tipping point... all depends on how its executed

please don't quote me... still conjecture

Well post number 9 in this thread from exactly a year ago has seemingly panned out as the real deal... Lucky to have certain "friends" that are really actually "in the know". :gun:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-spinoff-rumor-han-solo-boba-fett/

AndyLGR

So the first spin off film is going to be called Star Wars: Rogue One.

Set between Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars its about how a band of rebels steal the Death Star plans.

There was a teaser shown at last weekend Celebration Star Wars convention, although fan shot footage of the teaser has been removed by Disney the teaser ran like this:

A card with ?December 2016″ fades in and out, with a sound that is somewhere between a slow Inception horn and a lightsaber. Then a familiar voice: Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan Kenobi, saying ?For more than a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire.?

As he speaks, the teaser fades in on a tracking shot, high up through a forested canyon. We hear a TIE Fighter pass overhead, and see the ship move forward into frame as the camera continues to push forward. We see, dominating the sky, the outline of what could be a moon. But that?s no moon, it?s a? well, you know what it is. The Death Star. Music swells and the screen goes black. The Rogue One logo comes up, and we hear radio voices, like troops communicating during combat. The chatter gets more frantic and loud as light strobes on the logo, which finally breaks up as the sound cuts out.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-rogue-one-plot/

Duaner

It's apparently supposed to have a darker tone, no Jedis, and be inspired somewhat by Black Hawk Down and Saving Private Ryan. I think it sounds awesome! I love the idea and love the plot. I also like that the film is going to take place around the time of the Original Trilogy and have a direct link to it. With the new Force Awakens trailer and the new details on Rogue One, I am on a huge Star Wars kick lately. I'm thinking it's time to sit down for a marathon!

Lambonius

I've been watching the original theatrical versions that were included on the bonus discs with the Special Edition DVDs. It's the best I can do. I just can't bring myself to watch the bluray ones, knowing that they all culminate in "NoooOOOoooOOOooo!" and Hayden Christensen's ghost. ;)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Imagine the heroes of this film (if they survive) hearing the only copy of the Death Star plans ended up back on the Death Star, all because R2-D2 (or his programming) couldn't dispense a little more plot exposition. "We should have given it to the space version of the Marx Brothers!"

This was one of my quibbles about the Clone Wars. They have instantaneous 3D video telecommunications but whole stories involve them hand delivering floppy disks.

Grizzlor

The assembled cast would be astonishing for ANY film, let alone this one. This really is the kind of story which I've enjoyed the most in the EU. It's why the X-Wing/Dark Forces games appealed to me so much.