meeting Karen Allen

indyartist

DocWhiskey said:
That doesn't mean anything. Sure, it's funny to us the diehard fans, but I'm sure he's a big fan of RotLA. Karen's character is a major player in the Indy franchise, yet at the Q and A she didn't know Toht's name, and she said how the Indy films all went backwards. Did I think she was a "fraud"? Nope. Just human really. I'm a big baseball fan. I watch the Cubs lose down here in Chicago all the time, but i couldn't name more then 4 or 5 players.
you're right. sorry if I offended anyone. She didn't know Toht the character's name or the actor's name who played Toht? Her mind probably went blank on the name. That happens sometimes when you get older unfortuneately.

DocWhiskey

indyartist said:
you're right. sorry if I offended anyone. She didn't know Toht the character's name or the actor's name who played Toht? Her mind probably went blank on the name. That happens sometimes when you get older unfortuneately.

You don't have to be sorry! She knew the actor's name but she said "Ronny Lacey played the German with the burnt hand." And I whispered to my friend in the nerdiest voice possible, "Oh my god, his name's Toht, geez!"

I don't think any less of her, in fact meeting her just made me think even more of her!

indyclone25

you have to think its been 20-something years at least she remembers the actor , right. most of the movies the only remember scenes they shot not the entire movie ---but she was a lovely woman --- i think i going to by some of her clothing line --- maybe for the winter months

UIMJ

DocWhiskey said:
You don't have to be sorry! She knew the actor's name but she said "Ronny Lacey played the German with the burnt hand." And I whispered to my friend in the nerdiest voice possible, "Oh my god, his name's Toht, geez!"

I don't think any less of her, in fact meeting her just made me think even more of her!

Well you know, there's also the fact that he played a relatively minor role (although memorable) in the film. Do they ever even actually prominantly mention his name in the movie? I'd guess that beyond the core fans, most people don't know that characters name!

DocWhiskey said:

God knows her script probably read: Menacing German Agent or Belzig...

StoneTriple

UIMJ said:
Well you know, there's also the fact that he played a relatively minor role (although memorable) in the film. Do they ever even actually prominantly mention his name in the movie? I'd guess that beyond the core fans, most people don't know that characters name!

Excellent point. There were probably a lot of people there who loved Raiders when it was released, yet don't log onto a nerd board every day to discuss it.

Mickiana

The sugar sweet familiarity while getting the name wrong is all part of being a talk show host I suppose. Either he read his notes wrongly or they were written wrongly for him or he cannot remember the movie or he didn't even see it, but to us fanboys and fangirls things like that are always going to stick out like the Washington monument. Accuracy is like a barometer for our dedication and love (and obsession too). Great to see Karen though. I wish one of us could interview her instead - that would be fun.

Mickiana

I hate the usage of the word 'cool' except when it refers to temperature. The actual utterance of it as a term of social agreement directly corresponds to a marked decrease in brain activity and IQ. The next time someone uses it in front of you watch for the eyelids drooping, sageless nodding of the head, pouting of the mouth and of course nothing else better to say. These are all symptoms of the effects of using the word 'cool' in anything but idle banter concerning the weather or the temperature in your fridge.

reverendB

I am so jealous!!! I live about 15 miles from Naperville, and I had no IDEA she was at the grand opening of the Hollywood Palms. I met her back in...I think February of 2008, at the Hollywood Blvd. theater in Woodridge, IL (owned by the same guy as the Hollywood Palms) But I would have loved to meet her again. She seemed very genuine. And still a beauty!! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Indy's brother

Un. Believable. I am from Aurora, and I was actually in town that day. I just saw this thread, and I'm kicking myself across the room. I didn't even know that theater had been changed into Hollywood Palms! The last time I was inside was like 10 years ago. I went to AMC30 2 miles away twice while I was in town, too! Rrrrg.

Don't let my jealousy give you the wrong impression, though. I am glad you and your son were able to meet Karen, she seems like a class act.

It's a brew-n-view too I see...:cool:

indyclone25

it was nice to meet her --- i'm taking my son back to hollywood palms on feb.27th for his birthday to meet the back to the future gang, christopher lloyd, lea thompson, cludia wells (the first jennifer) and james tolkan( strickland ) so that will be neat to see them ---- ok sorry anout the off topic , back to the raiders :D

reverendB

IndyClone, No worries about (only slightly) derailing your thread. I see you're in Midlothian...I hear you have an interesting cemetery down there...if you believe in that sort of thing.

indyclone25

reverendB said:
IndyClone, No worries about (only slightly) derailing your thread. I see you're in Midlothian...I hear you have an interesting cemetery down there...if you believe in that sort of thing.
i really wasnt aware of midlothian having a interesting cemetery unless you mean the cemetery close by where they had all the bodies dug up and the plots resold , then that is the interesting part:)

indyclone25

oh bachelors grove!!!! yeah i even spent one halloween night looking at the graves stones , i drove up and saw a bunch of other cars parked on the side of the rode and i sat there and we watched the place til about after midnight and we saw a blue glowing light behind the graves it was spooky alright . but it has been overgrown with more shrubs now and hardly seen from the street anymore.

indyclone25

sorry folks i was moving files at my photo bucket account and the pics deleted from this page ---if you would like me to show the pictures again just let me know and i will post again , sorry