View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
whipwarrior
IndyFan

gioA, Would I attempt another Indy story? While FOA is great fun to write, it's also the most challenging story that I've ever worked on, and I've been at it for 2 years now. Although I am a rather creative guy, I think it would be much more difficult to come up with an original Indy story and sustain it for the length of one novel, let alone six (though Rob MacGregor makes it look effortless). Writing a novelization is much easier by comparison because everything is already in place. All I have to do is interpret and embellish it where more action is necessary to keep the plot interesting.

Then we have the financial angle: There is no profit in fan fiction (writing stories based on copyrighted intellectual properties), whereas I can actually try to publish and sell my own original stories. Fate of Atlantis is basically the equivalent of a fan film: a labor of love made by a dedicated Indiana Jones fan to share with other fans of the game. However, I am striving to give the story all the polish of an official novel that fans can enjoy reading on their computers. I like to think of it as the world's first Indy e-book.

Regarding the prospect of another full-length Indiana Jones story, it's very unlikely, although I have considered (with more than a little interest!) the idea of writing a short prequel to FOA, detailing Indy and Sophia's first meeting at the Jastro Dig, showing how Sophia found her Atlantean pendant, and her first spiritual contact with Nur-Ab-Sal. So I might do that someday, if there's enough fan interest. In the meantime, I have to finish writing FOA, and then complete my own original novel which I shelved at 17 chapters to dive into Fate of Atlantis.

Attila, thanks for the compliments. I rewrote chapter 17—literally—seven or eight times because I wasn't satisfied with it. I really wanted to ramp-up the suspense instead of skimping on the narrative by saying: "The submarine went into the mysterious cave, and emerged in Atlantis." When the destination is part of the story's title, its discovery needs to be suitably cinematic, so I really had to deliver the spectacle. About Indy, I wrote a scene that showed him hiding out among the other soldiers (playing cards in the galley, or whatnot), when I realized that it was pointless because the audience already knows that he's okay. It was more important to watch the discovery of Atlantis unfold from Sophia's perspective. And I left Übermann out of the action because I couldn't think of anything for him to do besides argue with Kerner, which would disrupt the wonder of the scene. Plus, I think it's more entertaining when Sophia argues with Kerner!
whipwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote