Peril At Delphi

foreignerfred

It's an okay adventure, but it seldom feels like an Indy adventure, though I know it's the "growing into the Indy we know" type of story.

PAD is the only MacGregor Indy novel I've read, and I was moderately satisfied with it. His novels seem to have the best premises out of all the expanded universe stuff for Indy in my opinion, but he doesn't go too far out of his way to make his novels encompass the fun of Indy's pulpy adventures.

I'm about to complete "Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs" (yes, a very dubious title!) by Max McCoy, and even with the craziness of the MacGuffin, the story, characterization, and description of set pieces really feel like pure Indy to me! I intend to read all of McCoy's books now, a feeling that I didn't experience at the end of PAD (and I didn't hate the book either, I'm just saying!)

Have you read any McCoy's books?

Peacock's-Eye

I give McCoy high marks (check my reviews elsewhere on this board). They're great. "Hollow Earth" is almost as good as the 4 movies!

The reason I picked up PaD is that I ordered the 4th McCoy and it's late arriving, and I saw PaD for 4.50 at WalMart, so I bought it.

It's a little off, since it's Young Indy two years before Young Indy (the tv series). But I like it. I'm anxious to finish and try "Dance of the Giants" which has a full grown Indy.

Indy~Annie

i thought PAD was pretty good....but Max Mccoy's books got his personality just perfect!!! i love his,my fav writer.(y)

indyt

Max McCoy, I feel, is the best. But as you know, you have to read them in order to enjoy them the best.

Goonie

I finished reading Peril last week. It was OK. I felt it had a slow start. I can't really compare it to the others as the only other one I read so far was Dance of the Giants. I'm currently reading the novelization of Crystal Skull, then I'll read Seven Veils.

Peacock's-Eye

Goonie said:
I finished reading Peril last week. It was OK. I felt it had a slow start. I can't really compare it to the others as the only other one I read so far was Dance of the Giants. I'm currently reading the novelization of Crystal Skull, then I'll read Seven Veils.

I'm looking forward to "Seven Veils" / "Genesis Deluge", since they tie together.

scottbravesfan

They are all pretty good. MacGregor does a good job with them so I would pick up the rest of the novels as well. Plus the more people pick them up maybe they will relaunch the series. They have tons and tons of Star Wars books yet they haven't made a new Indy book in so long.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
PaD was actually the first Indy novel I had ever read. I enjoyed it then and I still enjoy it now. I enjoy most of the Indy novels, I like both of McGregor's and McCoy's. Btw, you might want to read Dance of the Giants before you read Seven Veils and Genesis Deluge. Those three are attached together.

Peacock's-Eye

Violet Indy said:
PaD was actually the first Indy novel I had ever read. I enjoyed it then and I still enjoy it now. I enjoy most of the Indy novels, I like both of McGregor's and McCoy's. Btw, you might want to read Dance of the Giants before you read Seven Veils and Genesis Deluge. Those three are attached together.

I have DotG, just waiting to polish off the last few pages of PaD!

deckard24

I just started PAD a few nights ago, and I'm through the first 100 pages. It's not bad so far, but not great! I know it's supposed to be young Indy, and the description of the character sounds like a young Ford, but for some reason all I can keep picturing is Sean Patrick Flannery. I find this really distracting, and it doesn't help that I wasn't a big fan of the Young Indy Chronicles!

For those who have read the McGregor novels, are they all about a Younger Indy(early 20's), or does the timeline reach closer to TOD 1935?

Peacock's-Eye

deckard24 said:
I just started PAD a few nights ago, and I'm through the first 100 pages. It's not bad so far, but not great! I know it's supposed to be young Indy, and the description of the character sounds like a young Ford, but for some reason all I can keep picturing is Sean Patrick Flannery. I find this really distracting, and it doesn't help that I wasn't a big fan of the Young Indy Chronicles!

For those who have read the McGregor novels, are they all about a Younger Indy(early 20's), or does the timeline reach closer to TOD 1935?

Just going by the cover art, it looks like the next one is about a grown up Indy!

deckard24

Peacock's-Eye said:
Just going by the cover art, it looks like the next one is about a grown up Indy!
I hope so!

I read Hollow Earth a while back and really enjoyed that one! That book just felt like Indy adventure, whereas Peril at Delphi just isn't cutting it! I'm only 100 pages in so far so hopefully it'll improve!

indyt

Peacock's-Eye said:
I'm looking forward to "Seven Veils" / "Genesis Deluge", since they tie together.

Those are the ones I am reading right now. Seem pretty good so far.

Katarn07

I loved all of MacGregor's books except for Unicorn's Legacy. I also remember enjoying them more than Dino Eggs (only McCoy one I read). I had no trouble picturing Ford. It's clearly him on the cover! I know he gets a gun in the next book, so maybe that'll help with the rough and tumble character we knew from the films?

Man, all this love for McCoy makes me feel the urge to go out and read them.

Peacock's-Eye

Katarn07 said:
I loved all of MacGregor's books except for Unicorn's Legacy. I also remember enjoying them more than Dino Eggs (only McCoy one I read). I had no trouble picturing Ford. It's clearly him on the cover! I know he gets a gun in the next book, so maybe that'll help with the rough and tumble character we knew from the films?

Man, all this love for McCoy makes me feel the urge to go out and read them.
Read "Hollow Earth". It's really fun & good.

Peacock's-Eye

Ok, finished. Took a while - a little "Indy'd" out!

Overall, as a prelude to a book series c. 1990, pre-YIJ, this was a good read. Well written for what it is, with an intriguing plot, and memorable secondary character like Jack Shannon & Nikos. My biggest complaint is that McGregor kept switching POV, sometimes within the same paragraph, and also showed far too much of the story from the POV of characters who die before the end of the book. The POV should have stayed firmly with Indy - this is an IJ adventure, not a stand alone period adventure.

But I can say it's worth reading. It exists within its own continuity, free of YIJ. But it creates an equally enjoyable Indy world. McGregor can write, and he "gets" the material. I've started "Dance of the Giants" and it looks like McGregor learned alot from penning PaD.

Bottom line: if you've ever tried to read other 'licensed fiction' (Star Trek, Star Wars etc) for some light fun escapism, you know how utterly bad it can be. PaD reads like a real novel you wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen reading on the subway (it's no worse than Dan Brown - hey, it's better!).

INDIANA JONES AND THE PERIL AT DELPHI
I give it a solid 3 out of 5 Indys!

:whip: :whip: :whip:

Lao_Che

deckard24 said:

McGregor ends with 1929, Caidin is 1930 and McCoy is 1933/1934

Johnny Nys

That point of view switching bothered me as well when I re-read them (first them I read them I was a lot younger and didn't have as much experience with writing fiction).

I don't know why but when reading IJ and the genesis deluge i couldn't picture ford just SPF and Macgreagor never really describes indys gear even if we know what he looks like I like to read his description in books