Idea for a snow bound Indy 5

QBComics

Moedred said:
Oh heck yes... Siberian aero-sled chase!
2096405019_a93a3f07a9_o.jpg

Many more here.

Ooooo, Now we're talking.

I would love to see Indiana Jones in the Arctic or something like that. Hollow Earth handled it well. Mystery of the Blues was great, and I would love to see the Tomb of Gods gear in film. (y)

Stoo

Moedred said:
Great flick (and poster)!(y) They don't make 'em like this anymore. Visiting Hitler's "Eagle's Nest" near Berchtesgaden, made this movie come to mind...and snow-bound, cable-car thrills & spills are right on the money, Moedred!

QBComics said:
Ooooo, Now we're talking.
We're going to include an aero-sled scene in our fan-animated short.:)

Col. Detritch

Darth Vile said:
Don't get me wrong... I think it's crucial that they try and work in as many varied locales and terrains as possible (if they do an Indy V that is)... and a snow bound one is certainly worthy of consideration (and one I'd like to see purely for the sake of being different).

Again, I?m thinking more of the practicalities/feasibility side of things rather than whether that environment would work on screen?
1) Would Spielberg/Lucas really consider going on location (for anything more than 2nd unit type stuff) to an environment that risked an unpleasant experience for the crew? I doubt it (no matter how good it could be on screen).
2) Would having a snow type environment mean that they?d potentially have to look to CGI to fully realize it? Is that something we?d be comfortable with on screen?
3) Could you actually stage something akin to the truck/tank and jungle chase on location in artic conditions? Is it practical to do?

So the practical side of me thinks that whilst you could get away with some 2nd unit shooting in a snowy/icy locale, principle on location shooting would be highly problematical... if you wanted on location set pieces akin to truck/tank/jungle chase that is (as opposed to sound stage).

If you want something equal to the truck chase/tank chase/jungle chase why not a snowblower? When I think of this, I think of 007 OHMSS, in the ski chase, one of the skiers fall into the blower and is shreded and bloody snow comes out of the vent. I thing it would be reminisent of the Tank chase. Indy could figh a 'Colonel' figure on top of the blower as it clears a path for the motorcade. At the end of the fight the officer falls into the shreder and bloody snow flies out; kinda like what the flying wing propeller did to the mechanic!:hat:

Darth Vile

Col. Detritch said:
If you want something equal to the truck chase/tank chase/jungle chase why not a snowblower? When I think of this, I think of 007 OHMSS, in the ski chase, one of the skiers fall into the blower and is shreded and bloody snow comes out of the vent. I thing it would be reminisent of the Tank chase. Indy could figh a 'Colonel' figure on top of the blower as it clears a path for the motorcade. At the end of the fight the officer falls into the shreder and bloody snow flies out; kinda like what the flying wing propeller did to the mechanic!:hat:

That would be good. :)

Col. Detritch

I was just thinking, if Indy was in Alaska, the Russians could be the enemies. This is one Idea I find appealing about it; Indy could be on the ice with someone with a clue or something when a large Soviet Nuclear Sub crashes up from under the ice. The Russian's hold him up and our villain steps out of the sub swarvly and forcefully takes the artifact with a villainous grin. Then Indy and the other person would be loaded onto the brink of the sub, captured!

Then it leaves the sub open as a set piece for the major climactic chase sequence. Indy and his partner would have to escape the sub while it has surfaced and maybe board a boat. I was thinking it could be on the icy cold water so there could be many boats in the water with the sub, firing on Indy on his boat, and on the isles of ice on either side of them snow mobiles firing. In an all-out action fest sending the traditional Indy chase sequence out for its last spin in style!:hat:

http://02varvara.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/ryazan-ssbn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Jonesy

I always wanted Indy IV or V to be in some snowy area at one point during the film. I think Indy works best in a desert or jungle and seeing him in snow would get stale for more than 45 mins of the film, but it's still an ideal place that I want Indy V to have some set pieces in.

Dig Site 1138

Dr.Jonesy said:
I always wanted Indy IV or V to be in some snowy area at one point during the film. I think Indy works best in a desert or jungle and seeing him in snow would get stale for more than 45 mins of the film, but it's still an ideal place that I want Indy V to have some set pieces in.

Maybe it could be set in Wyoming in 1950. Indy and his new associate Grey Cloud are trying to elude some tough guys who are trying to take back a valuable (and presumably historically significant) Native American Pipe Bowl. Chased into the teeth of a blizzard, Dr Jones and Grey Cloud crash their pickup into a snow bank and set out on foot, eventually making their way to an abandoned hunting cabin.

Little do our heroes realize the cabin contains a terrifying relic- a Soprano Saxophone!!

;)

Stoo

Moedred said:
Just more aerosani pics. Has no film ever featured them?
sani2.jpg
A couple of nights ago, I was watching a program about the Battle of Stalingrad on "20th Century Battlefields" which aired on the Military Channel. It featured them in a few shots of actual b/w footage. Very cool to see them in action and wish I had recorded it!

If memory serves correctly, they aren't any in the 1993 film, "Stalingrad", unfortunately. Any Russian fans out there who know if they've been used in a movie?

Le Saboteur

Moedred said:
Just more aerosani pics. Has no film ever featured them?

None that I can think of. It would, however, fit in with the series' desperate need of a palette change. No more earth tones! Mix in this aerosled chase with my China/Mongolian idea, and you could have a stellar addition to the canon.

Stoo

Yes, Indy's brother, that would be a very, nice touch even if it would be only for just 1 shot (like the shooting star in "Doom").

I've seen Aurora Borealis 3 times. Twice in the '80s at our family's summer house in the country but they were just small, fleeting wisps of green. The 3rd time was a rare occurrence in Southern Ontario, 2004. Sky-filling waves of red & blue. MAGICAL experience!(y)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Yes, Indy's brother, that would be a very, nice touch even if it would be only for just 1 shot (like the shooting star in "Doom").

That's the first thing I thought of as well. One of the few grace notes in Temple of Doom.

Stoo

Indy's brother inspired me in another thread so here are some more snowy ideas (which may or may not have been mentioned before):

1) AVALANCHE! An avalanche is a standard of the old serials and we haven't seen one in an Indy film yet. I would love to see Indy try to outrun a cascading torrent of snow! (The 1935 version of H. Rider Haggard's "She" has a cliff-side, snow avalanche which ends up revealing the entrance to a tunnel.)

2) CRACKING ICE! Remember the part in "The Lost World" (Jurassic Park II) where Julianne Moore is in a deathly situation on the slowly, cracking glass? For me, that tension-filled scene was the best part of the movie. Imagine a similar situation with Indy on a thin sheet of cracking ice, ready to break at any moment! (Fall into sub-zero temperature water with no way out, you're dead in about 30 secs.:dead:)

3) SWEPT UNDER ICE! Just like in "Damien: Omen II", where a guy falls through a weak spot of a frozen river and gets swept away by the current. His friends can see him under the ice being carried away and follow his path trying to break it with their hockey sticks! Scary stuff.:eek: How could Indy escape from something like this? I don't know but it's one hell of an idea!:whip:

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
Indy's brother inspired me in another thread so here are some more snowy ideas (which may or may not have been mentioned before):

1) AVALANCHE! An avalanche is a standard of the old serials and we haven't seen one in an Indy film yet. I would love to see Indy try to outrun a cascading torrent of snow! (The 1935 version of H. Rider Haggard's "She" has a cliff-side, snow avalanche which ends up revealing the entrance to a tunnel.)

2) CRACKING ICE! Remember the part in "The Lost World" (Jurassic Park II) where Julianne Moore is in a deathly situation on the slowly, cracking glass? For me, that tension-filled scene was the best part of the movie. Imagine a similar situation with Indy on a thin sheet of cracking ice, ready to break at any moment! (Fall into sub-zero temperature water with no way out, you're dead in about 30 secs.:dead:)

3) SWEPT UNDER ICE! Just like in "Damien: Omen II", where a guy falls through a weak spot of a frozen river and gets swept away by the current. His friends can see him under the ice being carried away and follow his path trying to break it with their hockey sticks! Scary stuff.:eek: How could Indy escape from something like this? I don't know but it's one hell of an idea!:whip:

HAHA!! YES! Each of your 3 suggestions are addressed in some way in the opening third act of my fanscript for an Indy 5 as a prequel (which may or may not be finished someday....*cough*)! (y)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I gave my avalanche thoughts about 30 posts ago. Maybe if he had an inflatable raft? :)

Ice. I don't remember how Stallone escaped the frozen water in Cliffhanger, perhaps he blasted his way out like in Never Cry Wolf. How about a frozen lake which is revealed to have no water beneath, just a long drop to the rocky ground? I've actually heard of this phenomenon: a reservoir is built and filled with water, trees in the former valley are topped at water level, the surface freezes, and rests on the many treetops when the reservoir is drained. Sequoias would be too far apart, but 100 foot lodgepole pines are plausible. When it starts to collapse and tilt at odd angles, the chase and escape (on aerosani and snowmobile) up the long valley begins.

Indy's brother

Now you're talking, Moe! If done right, the visuals from under the ice would be fantastic. Of course I can't help but imagine a cgi-fest of yet unseen proportions, with a corresponding legion of complaining fans.