View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #25
Rocket Surgeon
Traverse City, MI

TSO brings movie music to Corson

TRAVERSE CITY Even if you've never seen the "Star Wars" trilogy -- or "Jaws" or "Jurassic Park" or "Raiders of the Lost Ark-- " you've probably heard their soundtracks.

Composer John Williams' film scores have not only won him multiple awards but have produced bestselling records -- and won him legions of fans from both the pop and classical camps.

"If film music is well done, it combines the best elements of classical music with the drive and energy that can only be achieved by 'moving pictures,'" said Dirk Meyer, assistant conductor of the Sarasota (Fla.) Orchestra and guest conductor for the Traverse Symphony Orchestra's upcoming pops concert, "John Williams: Scores from the Silver Screen."

"John Williams' music does this every time," he said.

Performances take place Oct. 24 and 25 at Interlochen's Corson Auditorium and feature some of Williams' best-known film scores, including "Superman," "Star Wars," "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "ET: The Extra-Terrestrial," "Schindler's List" and "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone."

The music for "Schindler's List" earned the one-time Boston Pops conductor both a Grammy and an Academy Award -- one of five Oscars and 45 Oscar nominations the composer has won for his nearly 80 film scores. He has also racked up a whopping 21 Grammys.

Meyer, who has a special interest in contemporary music, isn't surprised.

"I have always been a fan of well-orchestrated music and John Williams' orchestrations are so rich and elegantly done that they sound absolutely great from the first rehearsal on," he said.

The TSO concert will be a homecoming of sorts for the orchestra leader, who studied conducting with TSO Music Director Kevin Rhodes and served as assistant conductor of the orchestra from 2004 to 2006.

"I was dubious about teaching, as I had a very busy schedule in those days, but I felt he had the perfect combination of artistic qualities and that indefinable personality it takes to be a conductor so I decided to work with him," Rhodes said. "That was a correct move."

Tickets for the pops concert are $20 to $45 but are 50 percent off if purchased through today.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote