Welcome to the Indy 5 forum!

November 30, 1979
Variety: "Confirming one of the most talked-about deals in Hollywood, Paramount Pictures will finance and distribute worldwide the Lucasfilm production of Raiders of the Lost Ark, along with four sequels to the property."

That's the most interesting find in that link, it confirms the "five films" rumor that has existed from the very start. Granted in another thread people already stated that it probably just gives Paramount the right to distribute the films if Lucasfilm chooses to make that many and its not an obligation to make five but perhaps its enough to convince the powers that be that a fifth films would just bring the sense of psychological completion for the franchise.

When I was a little kid around the time of Last Crusade's release I remember hearing that there were supposed to be "five Indiana Jones movies" in all. Then again this was the around the same time I first heard that Star Wars is supposed to have "nine episodes" so both are perhaps examples of Lucas doublespeak. However the former goal is certainly much more doable than the latter.

Indy's brother

Hats off to you for this, Mr. Dred. I have been to your livejournal page MANY times, and directed plenty of others to it. I'm glad it has a home here as well. :hat:

foreverwingnut

I never doubted for a second we would eventually get to see Indy IV, even though it took nearly two decades to reach theaters. There were constant rumors and buzz about it, so the hope was kept alive until it became reality. However, as much as it pains to me accept it, I honestly believe there won't be an Indy V. Word from Lucasfilm is almost nill and what little we hear sounds certain that Indy won't be revisited. Spielberg won't direct an Indy film unless Lucas is involved and I get the impression that Lucas is finished with it. Harrison Ford looked great in Indy IV, but as he would be into his 70s in the next installment, I think it would be time for him to throw in the towel rather than risk ridicule. And, as no one wants to see Mutt take over the mantel, then let's face it, folks- Indy has seen his last sunset.

Face_Melt

Indy 5 WILL happen, there is not much doubt about that. Disney paid a lot for Lucasfilm and they even made a deal separately to secure Indy. There is a clause in many Star Wars contracts that includes Indy 5.

The question is when, and if Harrison Ford would be in it at this point.

Dr. Gonzo

Face_Palm said:
Indy 5 WILL happen, there is not much doubt about that. Disney paid a lot for Lucasfilm and they even made a deal separately to secure Indy. There is a clause in many Star Wars contracts that includes Indy 5.

The question is when, and if Harrison Ford would be in it at this point.
picard-double-facepalm-gif-5917.gif

MaxisIndy

Excitement

The excitement is growing, as the announcement has been made.

INDIANA JONES 5 IS A GO FOR:
JULY, 19, 2019

Sorry,

But I've just returned from a far away place and time. I was a long time Indiana Jones fan, but left to visit my home planet for a weekend.

Traveling at the speed of light it seems I've returned a few years later.

What is all this talk about Indy 5?

Honestly, I have really been away for a while due to my work, and only now am getting back into the Indiana Jones world. Truly, what is this talk of a fifth Indiana Jones move?

Will it take place in the sixties?

Who will be the villains?

What will be the McGuffin?

Finn

Staff member
It's coming out on July 19, 2019.

It will star Harrison Ford.

Steven Spielberg will direct it.

David Koepp is writing the script.

And that's where the facts currently end.

Walecs

Smalldog said:
Sorry,

But I've just returned from a far away place and time. I was a long time Indiana Jones fan, but left to visit my home planet for a weekend.

What is all this talk about Indy 5?

Honestly, I have really been away for a while due to my work, and only now am getting back into the Indiana Jones world. Truly, what is this talk of a fifth Indiana Jones move?

Will it take place in the sixties?

Who will be the villains?

What will be the McGuffin?

I can't believe people in 2017 still don't know about Google.

Johnny Nys

Why consult a solitary search engine when you can pose your question to a community of fellow fans? Isn't that what this place is for, to bring people with the same interest together?

Z dweller

Smalldog said:
Shame your Delorean didn't take you back to an alternative 90s decade, where they made three more Indy movies with Ford, while he was still looking like an action hero. :p

Google is awesome!

But the information about Indiana Jones 5 is kind of vague actually.

It could be this...it might be that... It might be a prequel...it might be a sequel...it might be a requel (whatever that is).

Not too much information. Odd that they have such a firm release date, without any real firm information about the movie itself.

Maybe it is deliberately vague. In fact it probably is so.

Harrison Ford will continue to play the role; which is a good thing in my opinion, but does limit the scope of possibilities.

Anyway, something to look forward to.

curmudgeon

The problem with Googling it yourself is that you can easily get more crap than the facts.

Disney announced it in March 2016. Spielberg's back as director, Ford's back as Indy, with a release date set for July 19, 2019.

David Koepp is writing, and he speculated in interview that the film could be shooting by October 2017.

Spielberg has stated that he has no intention of recasting Indy.

Frank Marshall indicated that it would take place after the events of Crystal Skull, meaning that it will be a sequel rather than a prequel.

And a "requel" is an obnoxious new buzzword the trades are trying to force onto the world, that they define as a sequel that also serves as a relaunch for a dormant film series.

Thank you for the clarification of 'requel' Curmudgeon. I had never heard that term before. It did sound kine of odd.

With Harrison Ford still playing Indiana Jones I guess it makes sense for it to be a sequel with events occurring after Crystal Skull.

That makes for some interesting ideas. Will Indiana Jones make it into the sixties? (Just please, don't put him at Woodstock).