How far back should a (post Harrison) prequel go?

IndyBuff

JasonMa said:
I think earlier adventures in the 20's could work, as long as their earlier adventures and not a prequel.

What I mean by that is that a whole new story of Indy looking for some artifact in 1926 is fine. I don't want to see "Here's how Indy and Marion met" or "Here's the first time Indy and Belloq crossed paths" or Here's where Indy and Forrestal first competed for the same discovery".

Its fine to work in some setting up of what we saw in the original 3 movies (he partners with Sallah who he already knows, or Short Round, or talks to a younger Brody who's not yet running the museum) but the story can't be focused on setting up the relationships we already know about.

That's my greatest fear about the Han Solo movie. Its going to be a checklist. Save Chewie's life, meet Lando, win the Falcon from Lando, etc. instead of a new story.

I share those same fears. Just give us a great story and let our imaginations run wild with the rest. We don't need a film about Indy and Abner's relationship or how Indy and Belloq first met. It was fine for Last Crusade's opening but an entire film of things like that would be too much.

Z dweller

My preference would be for the prequels to start in the early 1930s.

I want to see Indy as a fully fledged adventurer/archaeologist, not a rehash of the YIJC.

Whether or not Disney stick to the "canon" timeline and character's age, they could squeeze practically any number of prequels between 1930 and 1935.

Raiders112390 said:
Another $100 says this is his last outing as Indy, whether through his Indy's on-screen death, or Harrison's retirement from major acting roles.
No one in their right mind would take you up on that one, not even the few hardcore Ford f̶e̶t̶i̶s̶h̶i̶s̶t̶s̶ fans on these boards, surely.

seasider

I always thought a good place to start on a prequel would be showing Indy as a newly graduated archaeologist starting his apprenticeship with Abner Ravenwood.

dakota

seasider said:
I always thought a good place to start on a prequel would be showing Indy as a newly graduated archaeologist starting his apprenticeship with Abner Ravenwood.

Exactly, my thoughts as well and could open up a whole new storyline between this period and Raiders.

Anthony Ingruber would be a good choice, has the looks and mannerisms, could do with a little more acting coaching but would work I think.

TheFedora

dakota said:
Exactly, my thoughts as well and could open up a whole new storyline between this period and Raiders.

Anthony Ingruber would be a good choice, has the looks and mannerisms, could do with a little more acting coaching but would work I think.

For some reason this entire suggestion made me think of the "young Nathan Drake" angle being done for the new Uncharted movie.

Lao_Che

For me, Ingruber needs to be handed a scene from, say, the McCoy novels to act out to see if he can be Indy otherwise he's just mimicking Ford.

Randy_Flagg

Face_Palm said:
What about Indy 6?
At this rate, Indy 6 would have to be set in the 1980s. Maybe Survivor could record the soundtrack, and there could be a montage sequence. Indy could have a mullet and wear Ray Ban sunglasses.

Face_Melt

Ha funny. However if Indy was into shades he would have worn the most popular Ray Ban model - the aviator when they first hit the market in the 30's.