Why Do We Love Temple of Doom?

LovelyLionTamer

It's funny, intense, romantic (somewhat), and SUPER action-packed! Ford is shirtless, the plot is a heck of a lot interesting, and there's a short chinese kid to sum it all up! What more can you ask for? :cool:

MissDefense

TOD is the one I like less.But the good things about it were that it was completely different form Raiders,a bit darker but funny,and with that spectaculare scene on the bridge!

oki9Sedo

Indyologist said:
I thought the comments made on the "hate Temple" thread were interesting, so I thought I'd make a counter-thread on why those of you here love Temple of Doom.

So if you love T of D, why do you?

The most common criticisms are: Willie's annoying, its too dark

I liked the dynamic between Willie and Indy, particularly in the "I'll tell you in the morning" scene. That was very funny.

As for the its too dark stuff, well its definitely the darkest of the three by far and the least suitable for young children, but I still love the fact that they did something very different for the sequel, but at the same time it feels like its set in the same world. The whole point is that "Indy goes to hell and survives to fight another adventure", as Spielberg said himself.

Last edited:

Fish1941

I love Temple of Doom more than the other Indy films because it seems more of an adventure than the other two (if that's possible). I like the dialogue more than the other two and I feel that it has the best ending.

Matinee Idyll

Willie running about getting spooked by the stuffed animals in the jungle - falling in the water, and her numerous 'touchy' encounters with elephants?

There's alot of dumb humour in ToD, loads of it, but it's balanced out by the sadistic torture and violence. The whole film manages to balance on a knife edge (without falling off, well not often - but it clambers back up) between the two contrasting 'ideas'.

Some people would see this as a negative, that, "The film can't decide if it wants to be horror or comedy" - but that's the beauty of it. The humour ain't really 'dark', it actually keeps the film bouyant for much of the running time - Relief from the interminable nastiness of the Thugee ceremonies and things.

That said, I think the humour in LC was, well... funnier. It was a more lighthearted romp, which was a nice change.

"What happens at 11 o clock?"

"Son, I'm sorry... they got us."

Brilliant.

The Adventurer

"Why Do We Love Temple of Doom?" ...well, I like adventure, humour on the edge of danger, old artefacts, exotic views...what else...the Indy style of turn the situations on his side...and a 100 other reasons.:whip:
Still it is 3rd in my list, after "Last Crusade" and "Riders Of The Lost Ark"...not always, it depends on my mood.(y)

kongisking

I Love TOD!

Although Last Crusade is my personal favorite of the series (the first one I saw, see), Temple of Doom boasts the most action, excitement, and inventive sequences of the Indy movies. It is my second favorite after Crusade (Raiders is on the bottom of my list, yes. You have permission to lynch me), but it still is very special to me.

I think the main reason why fans are lukewarm toward Temple is because Willie and Shorty are considered annoying by many (I don't believe that), the Nazis are not in the film, the action can sometimes become so large in scale it's hard to suspend disbelief, and it's so dark in tone.

Much of the critisism (i hope i spelled that right) against this movie can be rather harsh and sometimes downright unfair. People complain that Indy in this movie doesn't act like Indy? It's Spielberg and Lucas' character, people! They can do whatever they want with their creations! Sometimes this can be bad (wittness the Star Wars prequels), but i will still always love Temple of Doom.

(Make fun of me all you want.)

Baron Brunwald

Unfortunately ToD is at the bottom of my Indy list. Raiders and Last Crusade were just TOO good to be in the same ranks as ToD. Don't get me wrong, I still love it, it just isn't up to the caliber of Last Crusade, in my books at least.

Even though the bridge scene and mine car chase were awesome, they just don't compare to the tank chase, plane chase, Raider's opening quest, and the opening of the ark.

James

For me, it's all about the village scene where Indy translates the story of the missing stone.

Despite the broad attempts to inject comedy, there's a certain weight to Ford's performance in TOD. I also like the reluctant hero aspect of it, and the fact that it's filled with iconic Indy moments (ie. rope bridge; the mine cart slowing revealing Indy to the Thuggee guard; etc.)

It was a bold move to follow Raiders with such a dramatic departure. Not everything works or holds up 20 years later, but it's definitely a worthy entry.

JK_Antwon

kongisking just remember you asked for it

kongisking you didn't like the star wars prequels! What the heck is wrong with you! Man you must be crazy!

ok I have poked my fun, I'm done!:D

Katarn07

The opening scene in Bejing is well worth the price of admission. That's not the only reason I love it. There are very few moments in the Indy movies I don't like.

Baron Brunwald

JK_Antwon said:
kongisking you didn't like the star wars prequels! What the heck is wrong with you! Man you must be crazy!

ok I have poked my fun, I'm done!:D

Prequel haters will feel the wrath
250px-DarthSidious-DarthVader.jpg

deveraux

I love ToD, because the story takes place in india, and because of John Williams's fabulous "March Of The Slave Children" :D

Baron Brunwald

deveraux said:
I love ToD, because the story takes place in india, and because of John Williams's fabulous "March Of The Slave Children" :D

"March of the Slave Children" is nothing compared to "Belly of the Steel Beast";)

VP

Moderator Emeritus
"March of the Slave Children" is nothing compared to "Slave Children's Crusade". ;)