Re: the upcoming IJ 5 movie - hopefully we'll get new classic IJ figures/vehicles

phantom train

Re: the upcoming IJ 5 movie - hopefully we'll get new classic IJ figures/vehicles

Now that Indy 5 is confirmed for 2019, I'm hoping that we'll see a new line of classic IJ figures/vehicles to promote the film. Maybe not, since the last IJ Hasbro toy line didn't do well. But, we'll see.

I was one of those who collected much of the IJ toys that came out in 2008, primarily the Raiders, KOTCS, and LC figures. I really enjoyed these figures/vehicles, and truly wish that they had made more of them. I never saw the hard to find TOD figures, or the second wave of ROTLA figures (comic con only, IIRC)

I have always wanted Hasbro to re-release the TOD figures & the second wave of ROTLA figures in stores - but, this has never happened.

I'd also like to see additional figures, vehicles, and playsets from the first three movies. Though there's obviously a limited amount of toys they could come up with, the IJ films did have a lot of interesting characters & some vehicles that they could make - that have never been done.

Pulling from a list I made years ago on this board, this is an initial list of what I would like to see - note some of these may have already been produced in the TOD and ROTLA second wave, but, again, since I never saw those I can't really remember which figures they contained:

ROTLA

Toht (with scarred hand)
German Mechanic
Nepal (Raven bar) Marion
Marion in white dress
Belloq in white suit and hat
Belloq in outfit w/pith helmet from opening scene

Multipack

Raven Bar Thugs: Two sherpas and German

TOD

Indy in Tux
Willie Scott in red dress (from the opening "Anything Goes" scene)
Chattar Lal
Short Round
Maharajah
Major Blumbert

Multipack

Lao Che and his two sons

Vehicles

Short Round's car

KOTCS

Max
Oxley

Last edited:

Crack that whip

My #1 obsession when it comes to toys is LEGO, so that's what I'm most looking forward to. I wasn't in a financial position to collect all the LEGO I wanted and still go after Hasbro stuff in 2008/2009 (and afterward), though I do hope I'm able to when this movie is out.

My biggest pipe dream, pie-in-the-sky, never-gonna-happen-but-I'll-dream-anyway fantasy when it comes to future Indy toys is for any of the manufacturers in general and LEGO in particular to offer us something, anything, from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles / The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones. Beyond that, I'm just hoping for as much stuff as I can get from the movies, and that the LEGO line does offer stuff from the earlier films that wasn't covered the first time around (i.e., the tank, Lao Che Air Freight, Sallah, Marcus, Donovan, Ox, Toht, Mac, the Dunn & Duffy Circus train, etc.).

EddyW

Since most of the potential buyers of Indy toys will have missed or forgotten the previous Hasbro toys, I would be surprised if they pick up the line where they have left off. Personally I think it would make more sense for Hasbro to pour the line into the now popular 5 points of articulation format which sells well. I can see them focus on the new film and add waves from the previous film along the way, like they did when KOTCS was in stores, but they will probably be cautious.

Lance Quazar

EddyW said:
Since most of the potential buyers of Indy toys will have missed or forgotten the previous Hasbro toys, I would be surprised if they pick up the line where they have left off. Personally I think it would make more sense for Hasbro to pour the line into the now popular 5 points of articulation format which sells well. I can see them focus on the new film and add waves from the previous film along the way, like they did when KOTCS was in stores, but they will probably be cautious.

Given what's happened with Marvel movie figures and the SW line (and how "badly" the perception was about the Indy line), there is no WAY we will get SA figures for any 5th Indy film.

I can see them making two waves - one Indy 5 wave and one mixed bag of classic characters.

But if you're holding out for all those "unreleased" figures from the first time around - like the promised Club Obi Wan wave, or a Marcus figure or alt Belloq or any of the leaked prototypes (like comic pack figures) that we've seen, then I think you will be in for a major league disappointment.

phantom train

Lance Quazar said:
But if you're holding out for all those "unreleased" figures from the first time around - like the promised Club Obi Wan wave, or a Marcus figure or alt Belloq or any of the leaked prototypes (like comic pack figures) that we've seen, then I think you will be in for a major league disappointment.

Oh yeah - I agree it's extremely unlikely we'll get any of these.

That being said, I hope that at the least we'll get some Classic IJ figures when Indy 5 is released...if not re-releases of the older hard to find figures, then at least some resculpts of these characters, i.e. Willie Scott, Chattar Lal, German Mechanic, etc.

Lance Quazar

I suppose, because Indy is considered more "niche" than Star Wars or Marvel, that they might release a small set of "premium" figures, a la "the Black Series" - good articulation at a higher price point.

I again would expect the number of figures to be extremely small and mostly concentrated on the new film.

But, so help me god, if they release a 6" line instead, I will kill them all.

Mr. Forest

I hope there is something planned for Indy 5, because I missed out on the Indy 4 releases. I would love to see some 6" figures like the Star Wars Black Series figures.

Lance Quazar

Mr. Forest said:
I hope there is something planned for Indy 5, because I missed out on the Indy 4 releases. I would love to see some 6" figures like the Star Wars Black Series figures.

A curse on you and your entire family.

Kevin

Unfortunately the action figure world has changed a lot since 2008, and not in a good way. $8.50 used to get you a nicely sculpted figure with around 13 points of articulation and some nice accessories. Now the $8.50 figures have softer sculpts, drastically reduced articulation, and a gigantic missile launcher or some such thing.

At best, we can hope that they will treat Indy like they are currently treating Star Wars, with a 5POA line for general consumption, and a higher priced collector line as a store exclusive. It's an open question whether any store would take an exclusive. I know there's a lot of talk about how the last line was clearanced out in a big way at the end, but we have to remember that the stores also sold a ton of those figures at full price. So I suspect that on balance, the IJ figures were still a profitable exercise for places like Walmart and Target. But that doesn't mean they will want to take on a collector line with figures at $13 a pop.

Overall, I think the most likely outcome is a small line of 5 POA figures, and nothing else. I know some folks like the 5 POA figures, but I personally have no interest in collecting figures with less articulation than the original Kenner line. Hopefully the kids like em.

DOOMSTOWNFRIDGE

Lance Quazar said:
Given what's happened with Marvel movie figures and the SW line (and how "badly" the perception was about the Indy line), there is no WAY we will get SA figures for any 5th Indy film.

I can see them making two waves - one Indy 5 wave and one mixed bag of classic characters.

there will be a revolt this time round if a Marcus Brody figure is not released!!!

Billy Ray

Mr. Forest said:

I would also love to see 6" Indy figures like the Black Series (sorry Lance :) ) I'd be surprised to see them do much at all and, if they do a 3 3/4" line it will probably be 5POA. I'm not a huge fan of those...though I would probably buy them cuz Indy.

TheFedora

I would love it if we got the Black series figures as well. That would be a really neat addition to my collection!

Also I suppose as with most big franchise movies nowadays, Indy 5 will mean a line of 'Funko Pop' figures too based on the movie.

Lance Quazar

Crack that whip said:
Not a 6" fan, I gather? Why's that?

Because I hate the fact that, after 40 years, they suddenly add another scale into the mix which now competes with resources for the original line.

There are some amazing figures in the 6" line that we will now never get at the proper, original scale.

I also hate the fact that 6" figures are too damn big to do anything with.

Dunno about you, but I'm a sucker for dioramas, displays, setting up my figures on shelves and furniture across any available surface.

I've got tons - TONS - of display pieces for my Indy figures. So much I don't have room for 'em.

I have custom dioramas, I have Schleich castles, I have amazing aquarium ruins in Egyptian, South American and Greco-Roman styles (seriously, Indy toy collectors, aquarium ruins are your BEST BET for amazing and in scale diorama pieces.)

I like vehicles! Playsets, etc. Almost none of which exist for the 6" line and which would be too damn big to put anyplace anyway.

I hate hate hate the fact that we are barely getting any new SA Star Wars figures in this scale while the 6" line is getting all the love.

And if they do that to Indy I'll lose my damn mind. I'm not about to start collecting a new line! My collection goes back to 1995.

I also have oodles of characters from other lines that I have displayed along side. A wonderful mish-mash of properties. So Indy is rubbing elbows with The Doctor (who), with Marvel & DC superheroes, with Hellboy, Luke Skywalker and Captain Kirk, Johnny Lawrence of the Cobra Kai and Walter White Alongside the De Lorean Time Machine AND the Knight Industries Two Thousand.

Can I do the same thing with 6" figures? Not nearly to the same extent. Can I create entire worlds for those 6" figures to inhabit? No.

Does it drive me crazy when there are amazing 6" figures that will never see the light of day in the smaller scale. Hell yes.

Billy Ray

I get the sneaking suspicion that you aren't a fan of the 6" figures Lance ;)

I hear what you are saying though, unfortunately Hasbro doesn't. I think the days of a full blown line of well articulated 3 3/4" figures are gone. In a perfect world, Hasbro would pick up where they left off...but I don't see that happening. I think, at this point, a small line of 6" Indy figures, kind of like what they did for Guardians of the Galaxy, is the best we can hope for and we will be lucky to even get that.

I too prefer 3 3/4" scale for all the same reasons you mentioned. While I am, for the most part, not a huge fan of 5POA figures I do have a handful. I would most likely pick up 5POA Indy figures but I would much rather have 6" articulated figures than 5POA 3 3/4".

It will be interesting to see how things play out.

Lance Quazar

Billy Ray said:
I too prefer 3 3/4" scale for all the same reasons you mentioned. While I am, for the most part, not a huge fan of 5POA figures I do have a handful. I would most likely pick up 5POA Indy figures but I would much rather have 6" articulated figures than 5POA 3 3/4".

It will be interesting to see how things play out.

Traitor.

I want my Comic Con figures back.

Billy Ray

:eek:

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer 3 3/4" figures too...just saying it very well might not happen. After the fiasco of the last line, we will be lucky if Hasbro does anything. I'd much rather have 6" Indy figures than no Indy figures at all.

I really, really want to see them do articulated 3 3/4" figures. Maybe we will get lucky and they will at least do a small line like the 3 3/4" Black Series Star Wars they are doing right now. Re-release some of the older figures like they did for Star Wars (ideally figures from the SDCC set or ToD) then a small line of figures from the new movie, with some figures from the previous movies sprinkled in.

Like I said, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Disney is at the helm now, so that kind of changes things.

Lance Quazar

Billy Ray said:
:eek:

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer 3 3/4" figures too...just saying it very well might not happen. After the fiasco of the last line, we will be lucky if Hasbro does anything. I'd much rather have 6" Indy figures than no Indy figures at all.

Unfortunately, for me, I can only look at 6" figures and say, "damnit! Because of you, I don't have figures in the proper scale."

So if they do release the big ones, I won't be buying. No interest in collecting figures in different scales. I am way, way too far down the 3.75 road to change things up now.

While I'll be glad, in theory, for any Indy fans getting SOME collectibles they'll enjoy, on a personal level, 6 inch figures will make me very, very disappointed.

Kevin

1:18 is my preferred scale as well. But again, given how they have treated SW and the Marvel movie lines, I think the most likely outcome in this scale is 5 POA figures, which I would not buy.

If they make 6" figures, I could see myself getting just Indy as a one off to put on the shelf. But the facial sculpt would have to be pretty damn good, a lot better than the 6" Han Solo offerings.

Lance Quazar

Kevin said:
1:18 is my preferred scale as well. But again, given how they have treated SW and the Marvel movie lines, I think the most likely outcome in this scale is 5 POA figures, which I would not buy.

If they make 6" figures, I could see myself getting just Indy as a one off to put on the shelf. But the facial sculpt would have to be pretty damn good, a lot better than the 6" Han Solo offerings.

I agree that 5POA seems most likely. I bought only the SA Force Awakens figures (with the exception of Han Solo because, c'mon, it's HAN SOLO.)

But I still loathe 5POA and would only get an Indy figure in that style if it was absolutely necessary. (like if they made an unreleased legacy figure like white suit Belloq or Marcus or something...)

It's hard to deny that those 5POA force awakens figures have good sculpting, after all.

Sigh....