Mutt Jones in Indiana Jones V

IndyJr.

Many say they don't want him in the next. Some want him there. I say keep him. Perhaps he can give up his greaser persona and run off and join the Vietnam war without his parent's consent. He gets captured and is brought to a Vietnamese POW camp. Indy, who has promised Marion to leave adventures alone, breaks his promise and secretly goes out to save his son. The intro of the film is Indy breaking into the POW camp and rescuing Mutt. Mutt's experience in the camp almost becomes like that of John McCain's experience. This experience changes Mutt as he was almost tortured to death. They go back to America where the real adventure starts. In this film we are introduced to one of Indy's students played by Natalie Portman who falls in love with Mutt. During the adventure Mutt and Natalie's character are split up from Indy and Short Round. They go to locations like Siberia, China and Mongolia. Mutt, without greased hair, wears a typical adventurer's outfit (similar to Indy's, but not exact). Bring back the hat he wore at the beginning of Indy IV as his adventure hat; though dark brown and more beat up (and without the bright metal-like band at the front). Mutt's attitude is not AS rebellious as in IV, but he's still somewhat rebellious. During the film Indy begins to call him by either of two names; 1: "Henry" or 2: "Junior". Mutt resents being called Junior, like his father in TLC. Indy refuses to call him Mutt. The presence of Natalie's character calms Mutt down somewhat to a normal young adult. Before they go to Siberia, have Mutt buy a leather jacket, JUST like Indy's, except black.

That's how I would portray Mutt in this film. How would you do it?

caats

i'd keep him, i might even give him the love interest of the next film, cause Indy obviously can't. i vote for natalie portman. but i dunno about the Vietnam POW camp. that's a little heavy. not very Indy-ish. just kinda despressing

IndyJr.

caats said:
i'd keep him, i might even give him the love interest of the next film, cause Indy obviously can't. i vote for natalie portman. but i dunno about the Vietnam POW camp. that's a little heavy. not very Indy-ish. just kinda despressing

Well the way I've written it (check the intro thread) is sorta depressing but evolves into an unbeaten fashion. My story is a bit darker than KotCS but not as dark as ToD.

And, you know, personally, I'd like to see some of John F. Kennedy in this film that can take place anywhere from 1960 to 1963. Perhaps the assassination can be an event that can be mentioned in the film. Perhaps the "conspiracy" can somehow be connected to the main story... or maybe not. But Having John F. Kennedy would greatly increase the film's nostalgic feeling like the aliens, bars, Hound dog music and all did for Indy IV. Perhaps during Indy's stay in America at the beginning of the film some "man on the moon" talk can be heard from various people. Maybe even Indy can recollect back to the time in Young Indiana Jones when he was Dr. Goddard's lab assistant trying to create a rocket that could reach space.

Last edited:

TheMutt92

I want Mutt in Indy V, but just in a smaller role like Sallah in LC. (On another note, Indy V should be the final adventure and take place in 1959. The '60's and beyond are just too ahead I think for an Indy adventure: technology, etc.)

IndyJr.

TheMutt92 said:
I want Mutt in Indy V, but just in a smaller role like Sallah in LC. (On another note, Indy V should be the final adventure and take place in 1959. The '60's and beyond are just too ahead I think for an Indy adventure: technology, etc.)

The 60's aren't that bad. The 60's with a traditional artifact and story are not as bad as the 50's with an alien-ship story (not saying it was bad... just... different). Especially if you place Indy in another country besides America. Just a little Kennedy talk mentioned here and there (space-race style).

You know, the more I think about it, the more I want Indy V to take place in 1964 very shortly after the Kennedy assassination. Make it a KBG Conspiracy. And the fictitious Russian officer who ordered the assassination could also be the main villain. The artifact story can somehow link with the conspiracy; making Kennedy's assassination linked with Indiana Jones. Only problem is, there's not too many ways a President's assassination could link with an ancient artifact. I'll work on this...

emtiem

Vietnam? A bit of a way off in years from Skull, isn't it?

I'd just have him join the Army and become a GI, Elvis-style. In keeping with the 50's feel and it means he can be off somewhere else for a good proportion of the movie. Indy gets in trouble, Marion eventually tells Mutt; there's a sub-story of Mutt following in Indy's footsteps before he eventually tracks Indy down just in time to help at the big finish. Perhaps he brings a couple of army buddies along too.

caats

TheMutt92 said:

i agree with this. I don't want the films to go beyond the 50's. there's still an nostalgic innocence to that time. not so much in the 60's

Udvarnoky

They can't make another sequel without keeping Mutt, like it or not. I say make him a minor character or even a cameo in a fifth movie, not because he isn't a worthwhile character to develop, but because the fifth film will very likely be Ford's last stand in the role (if he even gets that chance), and focusing on Indy would be appropriate, seeing as after Ford is gone Shia will have all the time in the world to star in his own adventures.

I think Indy5 should be designed as Indy's final adventure, because for all intents and purposes that's what it would be, even if we know through Young Indy that he lives to fight another day. Let him be in the spotlight one last time, and give him a worthy last adventure, and then at the end of the movie he can pass the torch to Mutt for real instead of in the joking way they had to do it in Indy4. Make the movie so good that having Indy happily end his adventuring days at the movie's climax will be something that we're okay with.

Also, I admit to being part of the sadistic party that wouldn't mind them poking one of Harrison's eyes out at the end, as a nod to the (admittedly non-canon) young Indy bookends. I'm 100% certain Spielberg and Lucas would never go there for fear of depressing the audience, but I don't know, having Indy losing an eye while kicking ass in his last major adventure could work if executed right.

Last edited:

IndyJr.

emtiem said:
Vietnam? A bit of a way off in years from Skull, isn't it?

I'd just have him join the Army and become a GI, Elvis-style. In keeping with the 50's feel and it means he can be off somewhere else for a good proportion of the movie. Indy gets in trouble, Marion eventually tells Mutt; there's a sub-story of Mutt following in Indy's footsteps before he eventually tracks Indy down just in time to help at the big finish. Perhaps he brings a couple of army buddies along too.

America declared war on Vietnam in 1963. But for some years before that they're presence was there in the form of a military. This movie can take place in 1963/1964.

muttjones

IndyJr. said:
You know, the more I think about it, the more I want Indy V to take place in 1964 very shortly after the Kennedy assassination.

and have indy aged 65? i can handle him in his 50s but 1964 is too much for me.

IndyJr.

muttjones said:
and have indy aged 65? i can handle him in his 50s but 1964 is too much for me.

In KotCS Harrison was 65 and Indy was 58. In Indy V if it takes place in 1963 he'll be 64. Younger than Harrison was when he filmed IV! By the time they film Indy V Harrison will be like 68 or 69. Steven said himself that Harrison has a good ten years left to do this. That means 75!

You can accept an Indy V being made with a 68 year old Harrison... but you can't accept an Indy V with a 64 year old Indy? Come on, make sense, man! :p

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Probably just a cameo. I'm guessing he went back to school, now he designs gas guzzlers in Detroit. Because Mideast oil will freely flow forever!

Face_Melt

IndyJr. said:
In KotCS Harrison was 65 and Indy was 58. In Indy V if it takes place in 1963 he'll be 64. Younger than Harrison was when he filmed IV! By the time they film Indy V Harrison will be like 68 or 69. Steven said himself that Harrison has a good ten years left to do this. That means 75!

You can accept an Indy V being made with a 68 year old Harrison... but you can't accept an Indy V with a 64 year old Indy? Come on, make sense, man! :p

KOTCS came out in 2008. Indy V comes out in 2019. That's an 11 year gap.
Harrison was 66 when KOTCS opened in theatres. He will be 77 when Indy 5 hits theatres. Indiana being 6 years younger than Ford will be around age 71.

Indy86

Despite most posts date back to the years KOTCS came out and considering Shia's reputation now, I hope Mutt does not come back. Not sure about another actor though.

Z dweller

In Indy 5 Mutt should be handled the same way Henry Senior was in KOTCS.
Just show his picture on Indy's desk and explain why he is not going to be part of this adventure.

Considering this has got to be Ford's last outing, with any luck we won't ever have to endure Mutt again, as he obviously won't be part of future prequels.

AndyLGR

Even if Shia was still in the good books with Speilberg I don't think I'd like to see the chracter back anyway. I don't think he added anything to the story and he took too much spotlight away from Indy. I don't feel that he has to be in the film, they can easily explain why he isn't. Also I'd hate to see a recast if they decided to include him in some capacity.