What is your single LEAST favourite scene from the trilogy?

Major West

Skipper said:
I'm not sure I follow. What made you question what Indy was thinking, and what was Indy thinking?

Are you saying that he was crazy to want Willie? I thought she was pretty hot.

Agreed. Any red blooded man would have wanted to bed Willie.

IndyDawg100

herr gruber said:
I know this is gonna be a popular answer. Speedboats... However, my prize goes to the Young Indy sequence in LC. Tiresome explanation of the character that wasn't necessary. (IMO):(
The scene I most hated was the Speed boat scene in LC. That was bad. For that scene, I wish I could do this to someone who made it :gun: :whip: were good(y) (y) good night :sleep:

marky_77

I have no problems with the opening of LC, or the speed boat scene. If I had to chose, it would be all of the Temple scenes in of course ToD. Basically from when Indy gets captured, up to when he's free of the blood. Never been a big fan of ToD, and like Lucas acknowledges in the great makings of the films dvd, it was way too dark a film. All this crap about the 2nd of all his offerings having to be dark etc! (n)

And for any one to say it's a kids film is saying that now, after they have seen it 20 times and are 20+ years older. I couldn't think of worse PG film to show a 7 year old for e.g! I could throw in Jaws too as it goes.

Dr Jones

I think it's ToD for me...Harrison does a good job of going mental after drinking the blood, and it's not too long an event so I can stand that, but there's something about Short Round beating up Thuggee killers that is a bit *groan* to me.

Never mind, it's a small price to pay!

Oh, and possibly Indy, Willie (looking damn fine!) and Round, Short Round running away from the water flood in the caves, it's a bitky looking for my case and when Round runs into the camera flapping his arms and gurning, that's a bit odd to see!

:rolleyes:

OmegaSeamaster

I think my least favorite scene in the whole trilogy was Willie Scott's song and dance number "Anything Goes."

I still to this day don't know what language Kate Capshaw was butchering up there on that stage, but my wife's mandarin Chinese and she can't understand a word of what's being sung. If it was Cantonese, it's still pretty unintelligible, but Cantonese wouldn't be the primary language used in a Shanghai club.

The scene is supposed to take place in the small "Club Obi-Wan" in Shanghai, but when all those dancers come out to do their thing, you see this gigantic stage accomodating close to 30 dancing girls. What's more, I suspect Spielberg ran some of the footage in reverse to make the girls do that move where they zip up off the floor and get back in line. Because "realism" is lost by these creative decisions, you're really taken out of the movie for a moment.

As much as I don't hate the characters of Willie and Short Round, they really weren't the greatest of sidekicks. I don't like sidekicks only because they tie the hero down with a limit on what he can do. It's better when sidekicks just meet people "at Omar's," letting Indy do his thing.

My honorable mention is, "Feels like I'm walking on fortune cookies!" Apparently the screenwriters thought that would be hilarious, even though the origin of fortune cookies began in the USA. A kid from Shanghai in the 30s probably wouldn't have any familiarity with them. At least during the dinner scene, Shorty didn't ask for "General Tso's Chicken."

Last edited:

Deadlock

As nobody seems to have cited the "campfire" scene in Temple of Doom, I feel it's my duty to say:

"Yuck." (n)

OmegaSeamaster

Dr Jones said:
I think it's ToD for me...Harrison does a good job of going mental after drinking the blood, and it's not too long an event so I can stand that, but there's something about Short Round beating up Thuggee killers that is a bit *groan* to me.:rolleyes:

What? You don't like the line, "INDY...I WUV YU!!!"

Hahaha. Yeah, Shorty was clearly not a master of the roundhouse kick, and it's a bit hard to concieve of an adult guard going down from one of those.

In real life the guard would probably belly laugh, grab Shorty by the throat and chuck him into the lava pit.

Niteshade007

Deadlock said:
As nobody seems to have cited the "campfire" scene in Temple of Doom, I feel it's my duty to say:

"Yuck." (n)

Haha, the scene is ridiculous, yes, but I like it because it reminds me of how I act when I go to a National Park. I am forever screaming and running away from something. Maybe that's why I'm so forgiving of Willie's irritating nature throughout the film. I know that I'd be just as bad (ok, maybe not just as bad) as her in the same situation.

A_True_Believer

Easily my least favorite sequence is the plane/car chase in LC. Everything from when the plane leaves the zepplin to when the car falls into the bomb crater. The scenery is dull, the action is generic, and there is no music to set the mood. Boring, boring, boring. Every time I get to that part I'm tempted to skip ahead to the seagulls scene.

Of course, I have to give that scene credit for containing some of the best quotes of the series:

Indy: Are we hit?
Henry: More or less.....I'm sorry, son, they got us.

Henry: Those men are trying to kill us!
Indy: I know, Dad!!!
Henry: Well it's a new experience for me.
Indy: Happens to me all the time.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
A_True_Believer said:
Easily my least favorite sequence is the plane/car chase in LC. Everything from when the plane leaves the zepplin to when the car falls into the bomb crater. The scenery is dull, the action is generic, and there is no music to set the mood. Boring, boring, boring.

I have to disagree with you on the scenery. I think that it looks <I>a lot</I> like what a Mediterranean coast looks like. Those dry little shrubs, the cliffside...it all seems appropriate to me.

deckard24

Deadlock said:

"Yuck." (n)
I think that scene is great! The interchange between Short Round and Indy is hysterical("I'm very little! You cheat very big!")! It cracks me up every time when Indy speaks to Shorty in Chinese, not to mention one of the funniest delivered lines by Ford in the film is this one, " The Problem with her... is the noise!". Ford's channeling that great Han Solo sarcasm in that scene, which is a big part of the reason that scene is so funny to me.

A_True_Believer

Attila the Professor said:
I have to disagree with you on the scenery. I think that it looks <I>a lot</I> like what a Mediterranean coast looks like. Those dry little shrubs, the cliffside...it all seems appropriate to me.

Don't get me wrong: the scenery is very appropriate and very beautiful, but it's not exciting. I just found myself bored to tears by it.

Kingsley

A_True_Believer said:
Don't get me wrong: the scenery is very appropriate and very beautiful, but it's not exciting. I just found myself bored to tears by it.
Bored to your tears? you are overreacting... it's a good scene. Not nearly close to bad. But in Indy it's hard to find something "bad"... not even in TOD ;)

Paden

Deadlock said:
As nobody seems to have cited the "campfire" scene in Temple of Doom, I feel it's my duty to say: "Yuck." (n)
Oh, come on! Giant bats, Jones saying sweet nothings to an elephant, and that trademark Willie Scott scream. What's not to like? ;)

Eric Solo

I love the end of LC but it always bothered me that they filmed it at a well known archaeological site, Petra i think it's called. You would think they could afford to build a set. It's a beautiful place to shoot, but it just takes the believeability away from the scene for me.

jazzycmk

You know the speedboats scene in LC never particularly bothered me, except that it didn't have an Indy feel to it. If you just happened to walk into that scene and not know what movie you're watching, you would think it's a Jack Ryan movie.

It makes a difference when Ford doesn't have the jacket, whip, and fedora in the action scenes (with exception of opening scene of TOD which I liked, and was replicated very well in the Emperor's Tomb video game).

oki9Sedo

jazzycmk said:
You know the speedboats scene in LC never particularly bothered me, except that it didn't have an Indy feel to it. If you just happened to walk into that scene and not know what movie you're watching, you would think it's a Jack Ryan movie.

It makes a difference when Ford doesn't have the jacket, whip, and fedora in the action scenes (with exception of opening scene of TOD which I liked, and was replicated very well in the Emperor's Tomb video game).

That speedboat chase was an embarrassment to all concerned, especially whoever chose a location with warehouses, steel aerials and gravel dumps in the background to film it in.

Wu_Han

I dislike bits and peices of LC...

The plane chase- an excellant sequence but it was way to short and had too many gags.
Many of the father son moments that slowed the action down-
A lot of the visual gags-
The fake looking treads on the tank-

In other words I like a lot of the scenes but I dislike certain elemants.

I always loved the boat chase.

indyflys_solo

deckard24 said:
I think that scene is great! The interchange between Short Round and Indy is hysterical("I'm very little! You cheat very big!")! It cracks me up every time when Indy speaks to Shorty in Chinese, not to mention one of the funniest delivered lines by Ford in the film is this one, " The Problem with her... is the noise!". Ford's channeling that great Han Solo sarcasm in that scene, which is a big part of the reason that scene is so funny to me.

I agree... back when I was having my hate-hate relationship with TOD, this was one of the only scenes I would watch (minus the spike chamber and the "Oh, sh**" bridge scene). I picked up on the Han Solo attitude too... I admit it, I have a hard time deciding if I like Indy or Han better. Mostly I just say that my perfect guy is equal parts Indiana Jones, Han Solo, and Westley from "The Princess Bride."(ANOTHER AWESOME MOVIE!) But ahem... Indy and Shorty arguing in Chinese always makes me laugh, no matter how many times I watch it. Although I was glad it was only in one film, I was kind of glad to see Indy playing the father-figure; every time I see the plane scene with Indy asleep with his arm around Short Round, it triggers the humiliating "Awww...." reaction. It makes heroes look so much cuter if they're nice to kids. :)

Whipper

There was nothing about SPF's young Indy that convinced me in a few short years he would become HF's Indy. That for me was too big a pill to be asked to swallow. I can suspend my disbelief only so far.

But it wasn't a Few short years, it was Nineteen. 19 years from Mexico in March of 1916 to Shanghai in 1935 when Harry first appears, chronologically speaking. Think how much room for growth that leaves, how many life-changing events and experiences he would have in that time. It was an Easy suspension for me.

And there's Still a gap of 14 years for them to play around in, should they ever return to Young Indy. Last we saw of him, he'd only just settled in at the university of Chicago. We haven't seen him in his first archaeology class yet. He hasn't developed a friendship with Professor Ravenwood. And there's still a good 5 years to go before he'd get entangled with a much-too-young Marion and break her heart for the first time.

Last edited: