Syfy's New Year's Twilight Zone marathon

Goodsport

Who else here is looking forward to all (or more likely, at least part) of this annual tradition? :)

While I won't be able to watch a large chunk of the marathon, it's still cool to be able to record and watch certain favorite episodes (though I also always seem to find an episode or two that I'd never seen or that I hadn't seen in a long time). Also, if one still can't go to sleep after returning from a New Year's party, the marathon provides perhaps the only good thing to watch that late at night after the New Year's shows have long since ended.

-G

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yeah, I'm having some people over through the night. There's a decent chance we'll watch an episode or two.

I always enjoy seeing "Time Enough at Last," personally, but I'm open to something new.

Heh, also, I was horrified that this thread was about a different sort of Twilight marathon when my eyes initially passed over it. This is much better.

The Drifter

One of my favorite series ever made. I watch every marathon that I see on. I looked at the box set for this awhile back and was saddened by the price. I want it on dvd so bad, but alas my wallet is too empty!

I have so many favorite episodes. These stories were so well written that they did not need any special effects to make them creepy or eerie.
I also watch the version that was out in the 80s, but it does not have the same charm as the original.

Goodsport

According to both here and here (and I'm sure at other sites as well), the marathon's episodes will be be uncut and include special interstitials between episodes. :)

-G

Attila the Professor said:
Yeah, I'm having some people over through the night. There's a decent chance we'll watch an episode or two.

I always enjoy seeing "Time Enough at Last," personally, but I'm open to something new.

Heh, also, I was horrified that this thread was about a different sort of Twilight marathon when my eyes initially passed over it. This is much better.

Time Enough At Last... my favorite as well. You have good taste, friend.

Yeah, I used to watch SCI-FI's bi-annual marathon religiously. I own the boxset now so I no longer see any need. Besides, the series was always heavily edited for network play in the past (modern commercial breaks are considerably longer). They say it won't be now... I'm skeptical.

The Drifter

ResidentAlien said:
Time Enough At Last... my favorite as well. You have good taste, friend.

Yeah, I used to watch SCI-FI's bi-annual marathon religiously. I own the boxset now so I no longer see any need. Besides, the series was always heavily edited for network play in the past (modern commercial breaks are considerably longer). They say it won't be now... I'm skeptical.

Where did you get your boxset? I looked a few years ago at FYE, but that place is way over-priced. I guess, I could try online somewhere.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Where did you get your boxset? I looked a few years ago at FYE, but that place is way over-priced. I guess, I could try online somewhere.

Rich relative got if for me for Christmas a few years back. ;)

It goes on sale pretty frequently though. Try Deep Discount now and again. It gets down to like $120 sometimes.

The Drifter

ResidentAlien said:
Rich relative got if for me for Christmas a few years back. ;)

It goes on sale pretty frequently though. Try Deep Discount now and again. It gets down to like $120 sometimes.

Thanks for the info. And for the record, "The Invaders" is the best episode. :p

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I will say that "Time Enough At Last" ranks in my top five. Also, one can't go wrong with Burgess Meredith.

You know I have a thing too for I Am The Night - Color Me Black. A lesser known episode, but one that I think holds its own among some of the more popular "classics."

The Drifter

ResidentAlien said:
You know I have a thing too for I Am The Night - Color Me Black. A lesser known episode, but one that I think holds its own among some of the more popular "classics."

That one don't strike a bell with me. I often have to look up the names for episodes that I like because I never learned the titles.
Another one of my favorites is ""Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?".

Nurhachi1991

I was just about to make my yearly Twilight Zone marathon thread haha. I watch TZ religiously every new years and 4th of July.

Favorite episode : Nick of Time

" Can we leave today!?!?!?!?!?"

Nurhachi1991

Been watching the zone all day!

Right now I have a beer a big slice of pizza and im watching the Zone :D

I shot an arrow in to the air to be exact

Happy New Year everyone !

Mephisto

I usually watch it but I own every season on DVD and I have a 52 inch TV coming next week so I will probably sit down and finish watching them all. I think I'm only partially into the 3rd season or maybe even still on season 2.
My favorite episode is The Howling Man.

Nurhachi1991

I have the first season on dvd but its not the same as waiting for new years or the 4th to watch.

Theres something about being dead tired at 2 in the morning in a dark room with the Twilight Zone flickering on the TV its just magical

phantom train

Though I'm not going to be able to watch the Twilight Zone NY's marathon, I've been a big fan of the original b&w show since I first caught re-reruns of this series back in the '80's on late night TV. Incredible stuff. Obviously the B. Shatner episode "Nightmare at 20,000 feet" is classic & iconic, but there were numerous other great episodes as well, including "To Serve Man", "Kick the Can", "Nick of Time", "Night of the Meek", "The Hitchiker" (creepy!), "Back There" (classic), etc. This show was a great example of how strong writing/acting/plots are important, and that you don't have to have fancy CGI effects to have a quality TV show. I have long considered buying the definitive DVD set of the whole series, but haven't done so yet.

Also worth noting:

- The '80's Twilight Zone series was excellent - I may even like this more than the original series. Granted, it's not as well-known as the '60's version, but I was watching these '80's episodes as they were first coming out (unlike the original), so nostalgia plays a big part in my feelings towards this revamp. The opening sequence with the spider & the doll's head are disturbing & iconic (to me, at least). Good episodes of this series include: "Shatterday" (with a young Bruce Willis), "Nightcrawlers", "Paladin of the Lost Hour (written by H. Ellison)", a great re-make of "Night of the Meek", etc.

- There was another re-vamp of the show circa 2002-ish; I saw all of these episodes as well, but this series wasn't nearly as good as the first two. However, there were a handful of solid episodes here.

- The 1983 "Twlight Zone" movie was, overall, quite good, especially the first time-travel story. However, the re-make of "Nightmare at 20,000 feet (w/J. Lithgow)" was very sub-par when compared to the original.

Last edited: