Dark Horse Omnibus volume 1

fommes

I've never read any Indy comics. Could anyone give me a bit of advice on this? What are the best Indy comics - the most challenging I mean? (the most 'highbrow' if you will :))
Or would this collection do?

xVendetta17x

Hmm that really depends, Fate of Atlantis is pretty solid
My favourite is Thunder in the Orient
Cover wise would be Spear of Destiny

phantom train

I just finished reading the IJ Omnibus Volume 1, and all of the stories were well-written and kept my interest. The artwork was great in the first two series, but was somewhat rough in the last series.

That being said, these stories still weren't as good as the Marvel IJ comics from the '80's :)

OhioJones

xVendetta17x said:
The artwork on FoA is probably the best of all the comics
I never played the game so the Comic seemed pretty good to me

Nah. Thunder had the best artwork. It was fate, improved.

Snakes

Art is completely objective. With comics I also think it depends on the story. I personally liked the art in part 3 of FOA best out of all the comics collected in the omnibus.

I Hate Snakes!

I got mine about a week ago from Borders. Great stuff. Do you think they will be making a Marvel Omnibus? Most of the posters in this forum have been saying that it is the better Indiana Jones comic book producer.

Crack that whip

Well, it depends upon how you view the character and what you think an Indy story should be like.

The Marvels are looser in many ways. They tend to involve a lot more MacGuffin quests of the authors' invention, while the Dark Horse ones were more inclined toward basing Indy adventures around existing myths and legends. The Dark Horse ones are more... thoughtfully planned; Dark Horse's were all miniseries, each with a defined story arc, and gave the impression of having been done when somebody had had a specific story idea they wanted to do and that prompted DH to do a(nother) Indy series, whereas Marvel had a regular, ongoing monthly series, and tended to have stories that were more 'whipped up' ;) as needed. Dark Horse also benefited from some years of advancing reader expectations of what a licensed comic series could and should be, and the DH comics seem to have had more care put into them with regard to fitting them into a detailed Indy timeline and canon, but in Marvel's defense there was hardly anything for them to worry about when theirs started - just the first two movies, really.

If you order $100 or more worth of stuff from the online Indy store, they'll add in a free vintage Marvel Indy comic, which may help give you a taste of what the Marvels were like if you don't have any, without you having to make any special investment of time or money to get them. They don't distinguish between comics, though - they just give you a randomly selected comic (it could even be from one of the movie adaptations, or any one of the 34 issues of the regular series), so it's hardly the ideal way to go about trying to plug a hole in one's collection if one already has most of them.

xVendetta17x

OhioJones said:
Nah. Thunder had the best artwork. It was fate, improved.

Thunder had amazing artwork till the last issue
Where they switched the artist
The story is still amazing but the artwork is questionable
Speaking of which, does anyone know why they switched the artist

phantom train

Quote:

"I got mine about a week ago from Borders. Great stuff. Do you think they will be making a Marvel Omnibus? Most of the posters in this forum have been saying that it is the better Indiana Jones comic book producer."

Quote:

"Well, it depends upon how you view the character and what you think an Indy story should be like.

The Marvels are looser in many ways. They tend to involve a lot more MacGuffin quests of the authors' invention, while the Dark Horse ones were more inclined toward basing Indy adventures around existing myths and legends. The Dark Horse ones are more... thoughtfully planned; Dark Horse's were all miniseries, each with a defined story arc, and gave the impression of having been done when somebody had had a specific story idea they wanted to do and that prompted DH to do a(nother) Indy series, whereas Marvel had a regular, ongoing monthly series, and tended to have stories that were more 'whipped up' as needed. Dark Horse also benefited from some years of advancing reader expectations of what a licensed comic series could and should be, and the DH comics seem to have had more care put into them with regard to fitting them into a detailed Indy timeline and canon, but in Marvel's defense there was hardly anything for them to worry about when theirs started - just the first two movies, really."

Very true - the Marvel IJ comics are a lot looser than the DH series, but I prefer them because of this. These Marvel stories are a lot more off-the-cuff, and impromptu, which to me makes them more compelling (just my opinion, though). This website (theraider.net) has a description of all of the Marvel Indy comics, and these are worth reading if anyone is interested.

BTW, one of the reasons I am talking up these Marvel Indy comics so much is because I really want DH to reprint them (something DH hasn't officially announced yet). I haven't read these comics for years, and would much prefer to have them re-colored and reprinted on high-quality paper than to have to search for the original issues which are printed on cheap newsprint.

yodazone

phantom train said:
BTW, one of the reasons I am talking up these Marvel Indy comics so much is because I really want DH to reprint them (something DH hasn't officially announced yet). I haven't read these comics for years, and would much prefer to have them re-colored and reprinted on high-quality paper than to have to search for the original issues which are printed on cheap newsprint.

I've been wanting to re-read the old Marvel issues but my copies are over 25 years and they have that old comic smell. woof!

:eek:

I can't wait for Dark Horse to release the Marvel run again...with movie adaptations too.

(y)

Snakes

If you can find the "Africa Screams" 2 part comic from the Marvel series, I'd definitely pick it up. Best Marvel Indy comic I've read.

LawgSkrak

How are they printing the stories in these omnibuses? In chronological order or in the order the original comics were released?