Tomb Raider: The Games

Trennas

I'm wondering the same thing.. My hope is that they are working hard to fix the bugs and then release a solid demo, but who knows; could easily be another month or so..

Finn

Staff member
There aren't even not so many demos anymore, not on any platform... or at least that's how it feels. I'm a PC player through and through and can't recall any major title recently with a demo published beforehand.

Wonder if it has something to do with the increased easiness of plucking a full version off the lines too while you're at it. Illegal, sure... but technically impossible to control.

muttjones

Finn said:
There aren't even not so many demos anymore, not on any platform... or at least that's how it feels. I'm a PC player through and through and can't recall any major title recently with a demo published beforehand.

Wonder if it has something to do with the increased easiness of plucking a full version off the lines too while you're at it. Illegal, sure... but technically impossible to control.

PS3 and XBOX 360 have demos of many major title games that you can download from their online stores for free.

Finn

Staff member
muttjones said:
PS3 and XBOX 360 have demos of many major title games that you can download from their online stores for free.
I didn't say that they are completely nonexistent... just getting more and more rare.

Trennas

dont have an xbox 360 and my pc, well, just cant take the more recent games anymore, so i dont even bother looking for demos on those platforms. Have yet to check out the PS3 store sometime.. as soon as the internet connection works again..

maybe the reason that we see fewer demos could be that games are getting shorter and shorter development cycles, which means more pressure for the developers. this could result in:

A: not having any time to actually release a demo.
B: choosing not to release a demo because it could be riddled with bugs if not properly tested first. If I were a game developer, I would choose to rather put my efforts into making the final game as good as possible instead of spending a lot of time on preparing a demo..

Those are just my guesses.. what really goes on in game developers land.. beats me :confused:

HovitosKing

Well, as of today (Jan. 06) still no updates for the PS3 version, which tells me they're not worrying with it. I just read my first "tempered" review of the game in GamePro, talking about technical glitches/game inferiority and rating it 3.5/5 stars as a result. This kind of talk (as opposed to the 5/5 cool aid garbage I've read for the past couple of months in Game Informer, GamePro, and PS:TOM) would have been more useful to me prior to the game's release, but whatever. I think the developers kept the pre-release reviewers at bay for a reason (n)

Ska

I got TR:U for Christmas, but have yet to play it. And I won't until I finish Uncharted.

And the glitches can't be any worse than Angel of Darkness...I still enjoyed that one (well most of it anyways).

Le Saboteur

The Art of 'Tomb Raider'

I'm surprised that there isn't a general purpose Tomb Raider thread on this board. And if there is, well, I can't find it. Please attach this if you're so inclined, mods.

So you've already heard about the proposed reboot (man, I hate that term) of the movie series possibly featuring Megan Fox.

megan-fox-tattoo.jpg

There's also a ninth game in the works, but information is scarce. But like all things these days, they want to do an "origins" story. For the kids, y'know?

While browsing for current information, I did come across the rather intriguing The Art of Tomb Raider. According to the description the two-volume set contains " every significant piece of Tomb Raider art from all the games and adventures of Lara Croft."

TRLconceptdrawing.jpg

3006089487_e660529e46.jpg

While we keep our fingers crossed for the appearance of such an Indy collection, check out the 'official' blog here for some other samples, and check the official Dreams & Visions Press store if you'd like to order.

Lance Quazar

I agree that Fox sucks, but this is one of the few franchises that I think actually deserves a reboot.

The other films were just so friggin' awful and such a tragic waste of cool source material that everyone involved with them should be jailed for a period of no less than 18 months.

A "Tomb Raider" movie could have been awesome and still could be cool.

I do think the window for this movie capturing the public's attention has passed, though, and I think a new movie would struggle to find a big audience.

Still, there is potential here. My vote for Lara would be Rhona Mitra, a sexy Brit actress who actually was one of the "official" Lara live models earlier in her career.

monkey

The Tomb Raider movies were indeed a great disappointment.

There is (was) so much potential.

Just as with Indiana Jones............Hollywood has destroyed a great character.

How to ressurect the character?

Not sure.........but surely Hollywood can not.

Just my humble opinion.

Ska

Oh no. I don't like the 3rd concept art picture in the link you posted about the next Tomb Raider game. That looks like something for a videogame adaptation of The Ring, not Tomb Raider.

But Eidos and Crystal Dynamics has somewhat regained my faith with the last few adventures of Lara Croft, so I'll give them a chance.

Le Saboteur

Lance Quazar said:
I do think the window for this movie capturing the public's attention has passed, though, and I think a new movie would struggle to find a big audience.

I don't think the window is closed yet. Closing maybe, but not quite closed. And I base this on the fact that there seems to be something of a resurgence in the genre; every year now, there seems to be a big addition to the canon. The relative merits of each can be debated ad nauseum, but the general audience is seeing more and more "action-adventure" out there. If the oft talked about Uncharted movie blows up the box office, expect several other companies to reach for a piece of that pie. This includes Indy & Ms. Croft.

But in order to truly capture the audience's attention should the movie come out, they're going to have to invest more time in making Lara more of a 'character,' and less of a 'personality.' Story is going to be especially important, too. No more paper thin plots serving as an excuse for a travelogue.

re: Rhona Mitra. She was the first of the Croft models. Each subsequent model seems to have lost that certain something, and I have a hard time believing they'd ever get dirty. Ms. Mitra could work, but I'd still prefer to see Ms. Jolie reprise the role, or Eva Green.

Ska said:
Oh no. I don't like the 3rd concept art picture in the link you posted about the next Tomb Raider game. That looks like something for a video game adaptation of The Ring, not Tomb Raider.

Agreed. It looks like they're trying to cross "survival-horror" with "action-adventure," and I don't know how well they're going to pull that off. It sort of feels like they're pandering to the current undead craze, but there's a while to go before the game comes out. Time will tell.

monkey said:
The Tomb Raider movies were indeed a great disappointment.

Nice to see you around. :hat:

And if anybody is curious, it appears that 'The Art of Tomb Raider' appears to be limited to two-thousand copies worldwide. I'll attempt to post a couple of scans once my copy arrives.

IMG_0061sm.jpg

And apparently, the City of Derby UK, has named a street after Ms. Croft.

custom_1258499382578_joe_jusko.jpg

Last edited:

Ska

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1074208p1.html

New Tomb Raider Announced
Lara Croft goes download only for The Guardian of Light.
by Martin Robinson, IGN UK
UK, March 4, 2010 - Tomb Raider is returning for an all-new adventure, its voluptuous icon returning for Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light, a download-only title coming to unspecified platforms in 2010.

Crystal Dynamics return on the development duties, and General Manager Darrell Gallagher sounded suitably excited by the news. "This is a really exciting project for Crystal Dynamics, we have created something completely new and very different to what people might be expecting" he said whilst backflipping and shooting a tiger.

Lara's last outing ? and indeed her first proper adventure on the current generation ? was Tomb Raider Underworld, a game we rather liked and awarded an 8.5.

Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light is being shown at next week's GDC in San Francisco, so expect more news soon.

Le Saboteur

Ska said:
Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light is being shown at next week's GDC in San Francisco, so expect more news soon. [/I]

I may have to stop by and see what I can.

991046_03052010_embed007.jpg

Coin operated 80's arcade goodness, or a cheap ploy to get an extra fifty bucks out of the gaming public? Gamespot has a write-up on their site, with a couple of pictures.

Full site can be found here. While you can only currently register for the newsletter, I expect the site to be fully functional after the GDC.

Mods: Since this discussion quickly veered away from the art book, can we re-title the thread "Tomb Raider: The Series"?

Ska

991046_03052010_790screen002.jpg

I don't think my heart can stand killing any more spiders (after Underworld).

This is why I enjoy Uncharted. You don't have to deal with these 8 legged disgusting bastards. *shivers*

Le Saboteur

Ska said:
I don't think my heart can stand killing any more spiders (after Underworld).

The killing of animals in Tomb Raider got old after Part Deux. Which is part of the reason why The Last Revelation is my favourite entry in the series. Hopefully Crystal Dynamics will continue with the story driven nature, and diversify the combat.

Full disclosure: I never did play Underworld, and Anniversary has been neglected since I got my PS3. I'll have to fire it up and give the PS3 a break (but Brutal Legend is so-o fun!).

Ska said:
This is why I enjoy Uncharted. You don't have to deal with these 8 legged disgusting bastards. *shivers*

Surely you enjoy it for more than that! ;) If there's one thing I really enjoy about the new direction Crystal Dynamics took the series in, it's the re-design of Ms. Croft. While still a gun-toting sociopath, Ms. Croft at least looks like a real woman. Gone is that ridiculous top-heavy model. It's almost like they drew direct inspiration from Michael Turner's interpretation in the original comic book run.

2172712302_e849999bb4.jpg

For those of you that have some time on their hands, the publisher has a 5-minute preview of what the books actually contain. And they look great. If you watch it in 1080p, you can read the text!

Le Saboteur

First trailer!

Looks intriguing in my opinion, part Diablo & part Uncharted. Either way, it's going to be one more nail in Indy's coffin.

The art book is now in stock as well. Do your part and go order!