Smitty's Junk

Montana Smith

The job's done, apart from some timber edging:

100_0200.jpg

And t'other junk:

100_0196.jpg

michael

So I think it's safe to say that this Smitty character is pretty much set for any impending zombie apocalypse ;)

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
I wonder, Smiffy...which would be your preferred gun-of-choice in the event of a late-night break in? :p

The Winchester is the heaviest. One good swipe should take down the burglar!

michael said:
So I think it's safe to say that this Smitty character is pretty much set for any impending zombie apocalypse ;)

:D

:gun:

explode1.gif

Montana Smith

michael said:
So I think it's safe to say that this Smitty character is pretty much set for any impending zombie apocalypse

kongisking said:
I wonder, Smiffy...which would be your preferred gun-of-choice in the event of a late-night break in?

Smiffy said:
The Winchester is the heaviest. One good swipe should take down the burglar!

I missed a Shaun of the Dead connection back there.

Shaun1a.jpg

Shaun9.jpg

Well, it's done now, until something else turns up...

100_0201.jpg

Montana Smith

In a bag of buttons bought today, a curio of little value with a very tenuous Young Indiana Jones link...

100_0212.jpg

A brown bakelite button, depicting a cested crane and two palm trees, from the uniform of The Northern Rhodesian Regiment. Not sure of the date, but they fought in the Great War as the military wing of The Northern Rhodesian Police.

The motto "Diversi Genere Fide Pares" translates as "Different in Race, Equal in Fidelity", since they were recruited from native Africans, but with white British officers.

And a couple of coins from British West Africa that I've had for a while, which probably have no real value apart from the historical:

IMG_0001-2.jpg

IMG-2.jpg

Stoo

Nice, Smiffy. I am jealous of the button and the 1919 coin (and NOT because of the 'tenuous Young Indiana Jones link').:)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Nice, Smiffy. I am jealous of the button and the 1919 coin (and NOT because of the 'tenuous Young Indiana Jones link').:)

I find myself drawn more and more to these little nuggets of history.

In the bag of buttons was this pip:

100_0220.jpg

IMG_0003-1.jpg

Any idea about it's origins?

Stoo

Hmm...My first impression was that it might be early Israeli but I've seen the Star of David pattern appear on pips from other countries, as well. (Denmark, Belgium, etc.). The number in the centre is very odd and makes this quite a puzzler.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Hmm...My first impression was that it might be early Israeli but I've seen the Star of David pattern appear on pips from other countries, as well. (Denmark, Belgium, etc.). The number in the centre is very odd and makes this quite a puzzler.

Yes, and it's not an easy thing to research. Unfortunately the other contents of the 'button bag' don't offer any clues apart from a likely British connection:

Kings' crown RAF buttons, naval buttons, Civil Defence button, black horn Queen's Institute of Nurses button, old General Post Office button, and the North Rhodesia button.

Montana Smith

Anomalies in KOTCS

Since I was thinking of buying this early '50s deactivated Tokarev TT-33 semi-automatic pistol,

TT-33.jpg

I checked out the Internet Movie Firearms Database page on KOTCS, and discovered an anomaly I wasn't aware of:

The Tokarev TT-33 Pistol is carried by Red Army officers and KGB agents; the versions used in the film are the Chinese Type 54 copy, which would have existed at the time (the '54' refers to the year of its adoption by the PLA), but would not have been used by Russians. You can tell because they have a large safety switch and the distinctive grips of the Chinese-made Tokarevs. Russian TT-33s also have a safety, but this was forced upon importers after 1990 by the ATF, so many Soviet Era TT-33 pistols were drilled out and had a safety installed by importers in the 1990s.

So, the props department used Chinese Type 54s to stand in for Tokarev TT-33s:

508px-Spalko2.jpg

Actual screen used China made Norinco Model 213 9x19mm as used by Spalko:

Spalko.jpg

800px-IJKCS-TT2.jpg

800px-IJKCS-TT.jpg

On the same page it becomes apparent that KOTCS went all-out Chinese when it came to Russian firearms.

Almost all of the AK-47-type rifles in this movie are stamped-receiver Chinese Norinco Type 56s (fixed stock) and Type 56-1s (folding stock), including the one used by Cate Blanchett during the chase. Aside from the fact that Russians should not be using Chinese-made weapons, AKs with stamped receivers didn't exist until 1959, and the Chinese didn't go to the stamped receivers until 1963. So, although AKs were around then, these particular models are an anachronism. There is a very good possibility that the production crew used the Norinco Type 56 rifles as a "stand-in" for the Russian AK-47s since there are not many genuine Russian AK-47s in the US as well as the Type 56 looking like the original Russian-made AK-47 rifles from a distance (the Norinco Type 56 rifles have a smooth receiver cover that is similar to the ones used on the original Russian AK-47 rifles). Also, the folding-stock model wasn't made until the early 60's, though the ones used might simply be stand-ins for AKS-47 rifles.

Type56Standard.jpg

Norinco Type 56 (Imported into the U.S. as the Norinco AKS-47 or AKS-47 Sporter) - 7.62x39mm.

Type56S.jpg

Norinco Type 56-1 7.62x39mm.

And last, but not least, the rocket launcher anachronism of ROTLA returns with KOTCS:

A Chinese Type 69 copy of the RPG-7 is seen in a poster for the film, and is fired by Indy in the trailer. This is not historically accurate, as the movie is set in 1957, and the RPG-7 was not adopted by the Soviet Union until 1961. In the film, the weapon seems to have been modified to fire a PG-2 antitank grenade (a round which only the RPG-2 can fire), but the launcher itself is clearly not an RPG-2 (you can tell it's a Chinese Type 69 copy because it has the folding carry handle and thicker heat shield). It is more than likely that the Chinese Type 69 RPG was used as a "stand-in" for the Russian RPG-2, which was in use with the Red Army in 1957.

Type69RPG.jpg

800px-Ij4wp311024hm7.jpg

800px-IJKCS-RPG.jpg

Like the Nazi question, is it possible they used the munitions earlier than the adoption date to determine worth?

Also, with the penchant for aquiring American uniforms, trucks and whatever else was required it would make a certain sense not to use current Russian equipment especially in a covert operation...

Thoughts?:hat:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Like the Nazi question, is it possible they used the munitions earlier than the adoption date to determine worth?

Also, with the penchant for aquiring American uniforms, trucks and whatever else was required it would make a certain sense not to use current Russian equipment especially in a covert operation...

Thoughts?:hat:

The weapons are Chinese copies of the Russian equivalent, so if the Soviet Union wanted to make this an operation they could simply deny, they could have gone the whole hog and used Mongolian troops in Chinese uniforms and blamed it all on Mao if it went wrong!

I put this prop decision down to the pulp anomaly that allows me to accept the other movies: Indy's 1957 isn't identical to ours. His universe is a few degrees off, so that a few years here and a few facts there can be absorbed without too much worry.

Montana Smith

To fulfil a request, a few pictures of the junk that I was heavily into before the junk that I'm currently obsessed with.

When I began to collect 1/6 with a serious intent, I went for the military figures made by Dragon. Below is a tiny fraction of those (the bulk are 'resting' in their boxes due to lack of space).

100_0221-1.jpg

From the left there's Otto Skorzeny, Sideshow's Manfred von Richthofen, German Gebirgsjäger, German Fallschirmjäger, German soldat, Hauptsturmführer Michael Wittmann (LSSAH), another German soldat, and finally on the right Erich Hartmann, Luftwaffe ace.

More Dragons here - the Soviet girl plus all the Americans apart from Indy, Punisher and Hellboy!

DSCN3872.jpg

The British Expeditionary Force officer is by Dragon in Dreams, as is his all-metal Vickers machine-gun.

Lastly for now, a miscellaneous bunch.

100_0225.jpg

I have no idea who the pretender on the far left is. :confused:

There are three Hot Toys Planet of the Apes gorillas, a Sideshow Cornelius, Hot Toys Heath Ledger as The Joker and in Gotham City PD disguise.

Montana Smith

I pulled the trigger, as it were, on one of these deactivated early '50s Tokarev TT-33 semi-automatics, from Ryton Arms

TT-33.jpg

WW2 RUSSIAN TOKAREV MODEL TT33 PISTOL 7.62MM 1950-1953 Post War Production. Supplied with leather holster, lanyard and cleaning rod together with spare magazine. All in excellent condition.

I've been assured these examples are in fabulous condition, comparable to this 1949 example:

49tokar-030710_3.jpg

49tokar-030710_8.jpg

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Excelent...but I'm curious about your sense of style and what judgement or insight puts Threepio at home in that group?!!

He was once in more suitable company (no there wasn't a gay bar diorama on that shelf), but I evicted them to make room for some old soldiers. Two Hans, a Lando and a Wampa got left behind. They flatly refused to leave and said they'd just stand quietly at the back.

Montana Smith

My Soviet Tokarev TT-33 7.62mm semi-automatic arrived today!

It's dated 1953 and appears to be unissued, as the condition of the pistol and holster are incredible. Came complete with spare magazine, cleaning tool and lanyard. Both magazines and the gun itself all have matching serial numbers.

TokarevTT-33762mm.jpg

TokarevTT-33762a.jpg

TokarevTT-33762slideopena.jpg

TokarevTT-33762slideopenb.jpg

TokarevTT-33762mmmatchingserialnumberwithmags.jpg

TokarevTT-33762mmsparemagmatchingserialnumbers.jpg

TokarevTT-33762mmdated1953.jpg

TokarevTT-33762mmholstered.jpg

TokarevTT-33762mmholsterback.jpg

I also received an Ebay purchased East German PPK clone or Makarov holster. Very similar in design to the Tokarev holster, and with more than a passing resemblance to a particular design of Hitler-era PPK holster.

EastGermanPPKcloneorMakarovholster.jpg

EastGermanPPKcloneorMakarovholsteropen.jpg

EastGermanPPKcloneorMakarovholsterback.jpg

My Bernadelli Model 60 PPK clone is a perfect fit:

EastGermanPPKcloneorMakarovholsterwithBernadelliModel60.jpg

Last edited:

Sharkey

So, you are obviously the big dick. The men on the side of ya are your balls. Now there are two types of balls. There are big brave balls, and there are little mincey faggot balls. Now, dicks have drive and clarity of vision, but they are not clever. They smell ***** and they want a piece of the action. And you thought you smelled some good old *****, and have brought your two little mincey faggot balls along for a good old time. But you've got your parties muddled up. There's no ***** here, just a dose that'll make you wish you were born a woman. Like a *****, you are having second thoughts. You are shrinking, and your two little balls are shrinking with you. And the fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your guns... and the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five O"... written down the side of mine...should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now... **** off!

Montana Smith

Sharkey said:
So, you are obviously the big dick. The men on the side of ya are your balls. Now there are two types of balls. There are big brave balls, and there are little mincey faggot balls. Now, dicks have drive and clarity of vision, but they are not clever. They smell ***** and they want a piece of the action. And you thought you smelled some good old *****, and have brought your two little mincey faggot balls along for a good old time. But you've got your parties muddled up. There's no ***** here, just a dose that'll make you wish you were born a woman. Like a *****, you are having second thoughts. You are shrinking, and your two little balls are shrinking with you. And the fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your guns... and the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five O"... written down the side of mine...should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now... **** off!

You're speaking in tongues. And being a beast possessed of several rows of very sharp teeth, you're in danger of getting one of the tongues caught!

The TT-33 isn't a "Replica" but the real deal. A 58 year-old piece of Cold War history.

Desert Eagle .50, eh? You know what they say about guys with big guns?

Always a pleasure to read your colourful posts. Never know which Sharkey is coming out to play. The sharp toothed one, or the insightful one!

:hat: