Who would you like as Indiana Jones 5 composer?

Mickiana

foreignerfred said:
Why aren't we talking about that?

I'm wary of getting hopeful. Who knows what that article means? Why would John Williams be the first to spill any type of concrete beans on the whole question?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
foreignerfred said:
Alright, the threads are merged...

Guys!

The above article starts with:
"LOS ANGELES—At 81 years old, legendary composer John Williams is busier than ever, as he scores JJ Abrams’ “Star Wars: Episode VII” and is raring to work on Steven Spielberg’s 'Indiana Jones 5.'"

Why aren't we talking about that?

All it means is that he'd be eager to work on the film were it being made.

Spurlock

We'd still be skeptical if Bob Iger came to all of our houses and told it to us directly. So you can understand why John Williams only mentioning the possibility as a little lack luster.

Still great news none the less, one less key player to worry about. Two out of five of Stoo's top 5 down, three to go. (y)

indytim

Pale Horse said:
A collaboration between Ennio Moricone and Michael Giacchino.

Time to reboot everything about the series.

Agreed. Michael Giacchino would be great. You only have to listen to his 'Star Trek' and 'Super 8' scores to realise his cinematic music craft has reached an emotional level to make him a worthwhile successor.

And a reboot is absolutely necessary. As much as we all love Harrison, we need to see Indy swashbuckling as a young man back in the 1930s and 40s. I have my suspicions that part of JJ Abrams 'Star Wars' deal was to have first refusal at any further Indiana Jones movies. I would suspect JJ has already pencilled Chris Pine in as a potential new Indy.

IndyForever

John Williams would return otherwise if that were not possible just re-use his existing Indy music no-one else would be acceptable especially NOT Michael Giacchino he is a talentless hack & anything to do with Bad Robot & or JJ Abrams has to be kept far away from Indy. Its bad enough they are going to ruin Star Wars (although John Willliams is scoring. Kennedy made sure of that).

Indy86

John Williams, who else? :p

Right now, there's only one composer of recent years that stuck and that is Brian Tyler. I think he would be up for it.

Giacchino has made two memorable scores: Mission Impossible III and Stark Trek, but that's about it. I always figured he would be the next great composer but, he sort of fell off. Tyler stuck around with more and better scores thanks to Fast and Furious.

But no one can replace John Williams. And still at that age working. I admire him. As long he is in good health and feels up for it, I'm sure he keeps making music. And I'm sure he likes to take his time for it too. No stress or anything.

DoomsdayFAN

If John Williams actually shows up (and doesn't just phone it in like he did with KOTCS) then there's no one out there (living) who can match him. If Jerry Goldsmith was still alive I would have absolutely picked him. Otherwise, nobody. My only hope at this point is that Williams even makes it to Indy V. Hopefully he's got another 10 years left in him and scores all the way til his dying breath.

Just thinking of today's composers nauseates me. :sick: So many high pitched shrill scores that are absolutely meaningless and you get nothing out of them. They're just loud, obnoxious noise. Compare that to guys like Williams and Goldsmith.... just so much depth and emotion, it's beautiful.

Perhaps Alexandre Desplat?

?

Indy86 said:
Right now, there's only one composer of recent years that stuck and that is Brian Tyler. I think he would be up for it.

I literally cannot believe you just said that. Brian Tyler?! The same no talent hack that scored Thor TDW and a couple other Marvel films? I'm sorry but his scores are the absolute lowest form of sh*t and forgettable the instant they stop playing. He would be one of the absolute worst possible choices to score Indy V. That's like suggesting Marco Beltrami. (n) :sick:

If Williams was unavailable, Spielberg would probably use Thomas Newman again. Though there's always Alvin Silvestri. If he could channel his Back to the Future aura, he may be able to pull it off. Still a stretch though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Walecs

DoomsdayFAN said:
If Williams was unavailable, Spielberg would probably use Thomas Newman again. Though there's always Alvin Silvestri. If he could channel his Back to the Future aura, he may be able to pull it off. Still a stretch though.

Hopefully Skyfall and SPECTRE bland and generic scores will convince Spielberg that Newman would be a terrible choice for an adventure movie. He makes some beautiful mood pieces which worked in Bridge of Spies but would be absolutely out of place in an Indiana Jones film.

Drones33

If for some reason it's not John Williams, then my vote goes to John Ottman. He would be using, at least in part, Williams themes, which he did extremely well with his score for Superman Returns.

Indy86

DoomsdayFAN said:
I literally cannot believe you just said that. Brian Tyler?! The same no talent hack that scored Thor TDW and a couple other Marvel films? I'm sorry but his scores are the absolute lowest form of sh*t and forgettable the instant they stop playing. He would be one of the absolute worst possible choices to score Indy V. That's like suggesting Marco Beltrami. (n) :sick:

He made the themes for most of the Fast and Furious movies. The theme he made for Fast Five is one of the best action themes I have heard in a long long time. And above all he used it like Silvestri did for Back To The Future or Williams for Indy. The theme is used in most of the major action sequences and he brought it back for the seventh movie. It's about time somebody worked again like that.

From the 80's there's hardly anyone left. Kamen, Goldsmith, Horner they're all gone. Maybe I would pick Silvestri instead because he's pretty much the only one left but he is my personal favourite. If I go with the older generation he's my pick if I had to go with the new generation I might go with Tyler.

Anyone else? Can you see James Newton Howard's name on there? What about Howard Shore? He was pretty active in the 80's.

John Ottman would be interesting too. I think Thomas Newman is more a drama guy.

Z dweller

DoomsdayFAN said:
If John Williams ... doesn't just phone it in like he did with KOTCS ...
You are a bit too hard on Williams, I think. What is it exactly that you disliked so much?
There are many things that went horribly wrong with KOTCS, but the score isn't one of them, IMO.

DoomsdayFAN said:
Just thinking of today's composers nauseates me. :sick: So many high pitched shrill scores that are absolutely meaningless and you get nothing out of them. They're just loud, obnoxious noise.
While your point isn't articulated particularly well, there is no doubt that way too many scores these days rely mostly on sound design and excessive use of ear-splitting ethnic percussions, in an effort to achieve that "epic" sound which older and more talented composers like Williams or Goldsmith were able to create using the traditional tools of melody, harmony and orchestration.

It's just another aspect of the general lack of originality/dumbing down/catering to the lowest common denominator which characterizes so much Hollywood output these days. :(

InVader

I think John Powell has done some pretty good melodic scores. I have also enjoyed some of Joel McNeely's scores, and I can see Nicholas Dodd doing an excellent job. They would probably be my top 3.

Indy86

Z dweller said:
You are a bit too hard on Williams, I think. What is it exactly that you disliked so much?
There are many things that went horribly wrong with KOTCS, but the score isn't one of them, IMO.
The biggest problem is Mutt's Theme. He doesn't deserve one and other bits of the score are just a little to playful happy. As if it is to give the movie a childlike enthusiasm that just doesn't fit.

John Powell has nice scores indeed. I liked his Argentina tango sound in Mr. and Mrs. Smith but also his score for X-Men The Last Stand was amazing.

Joel McNeely has a few great and full blown action scores like Terminal Velocity or Soldier.

dr.jones1986

John Williams would of course be my first choice. If it has to be someone else my choice would be Michael Giacchino. I think he did a great job taking John Williams themes from Jurassic Park and adding new music in "Jurassic World." I am glad he is doing the score for Rogue One, hopefully he can do the same with John Williams music from that series as well. I have been a fan of his since his video game composing days, with great scores such as the Lucasarts game "Secret Weapons Over Normandy" and several games in the "Medal of Honor" series. These rousing WWII scores perfectly match the thematic feel of the Indiana Jones series. He has also done great work in several Pixar films which have garnered him critical acclaim, including an academy award. He would be a great choice to carry on the musical legacy of Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

DoomsdayFAN said:

I can't speak for Tyler's work on behalf of Marvel because I'm not a big comic book movie guy and didn't see any of them, but his score for Bubba Ho-tep is the stuff of legend, so let's have some respect. Williams has this gig anyway.

Indy86

dr.jones1986 said:
John Williams would of course be my first choice. If it has to be someone else my choice would be Michael Giacchino. I think he did a great job taking John Williams themes from Jurassic Park and adding new music in "Jurassic World." I am glad he is doing the score for Rogue One, hopefully he can do the same with John Williams music from that series as well. I have been a fan of his since his video game composing days, with great scores such as the Lucasarts game "Secret Weapons Over Normandy" and several games in the "Medal of Honor" series. These rousing WWII scores perfectly match the thematic feel of the Indiana Jones series. He has also done great work in several Pixar films which have garnered him critical acclaim, including an academy award. He would be a great choice to carry on the musical legacy of Indiana Jones.
That's true too. I actually always figured Giacchino would follow up Williams. And actually that he and JJ Abrams would become the new Spielberg/Williams team. But Giacchino hasn't done anything memorable the past few years with his music. It's like he had his time already. While Tyler actually stuck around and he's busy in every genre. Comic books, action, he has done thrillers.

I admit Tyler is nowhere near Williams' level but he might get there eventually. He's still young.

Beltrami is more a horror composer. He has good action scores as well but he belongs in the horror genre.

dr.jones1986

Indy86 said:
That's true too. I actually always figured Giacchino would follow up Williams. And actually that he and JJ Abrams would become the new Spielberg/Williams team. But Giacchino hasn't done anything memorable the past few years with his music. It's like he had his time already. While Tyler actually stuck around and he's busy in every genre. Comic books, action, he has done thrillers.

I admit Tyler is nowhere near Williams' level but he might get there eventually. He's still young.

Beltrami is more a horror composer. He has good action scores as well but he belongs in the horror genre.

Jurassic World's score was obviously building on a musical legacy already put in place by John Williams so lets put that aside. I thought his scores for Zootopia and Inside Out were both very well done. I also enjoyed his work from earlier Disney/Pixar films such as UP, Cars 2 and Ratatouille.

Raiders90

When is the last time Williams put out any score as memorable as his scores for Indy, Star Wars, Jaws, or Jurassic Park? Maybe 1999 or the early 2000s?