Temple of Doom 30th Anniversary

Forbidden Eye

Phlip said:
Out of curiosity, what was your opinion of Raiders when you watched it that time?

Loved it. Having already ridden Temple of The Forbidden Eye at Disneyland, the beginning itself won me over as I was like "So that's where that part of the ride came from" and "This is why the ride ends with a giant boulder!" They played too many commercials, but I still really enjoyed warching the movie from beginning to end. I was still relatively young so Dad asked me if the ending of the movie scared me, but I said no(after Temple of Doom, everything about Raiders was tame lol). I can't say which I preferred at the time: Raiders or Doom, to be honest, I liked them about the same.

I will say though that a little later in life I jumped on the "Temple Of Doom is the worst Indiana Jones movie" bandwagon, mostly because my Dad didn't like it, and when I saw the Making Of documentary on the DVD, and they addressed audience complaints at the time and Spielberg himself admitting it was his least favorite in the trilogy, I just joined the crowd and said it was my least favorite too(I never disliked the movie, I just never watched it as much as Raiders and Crusade). To be honest, it was not until rewatching the entire trilogy in preperation for Indy 4 that I really discovered a newfound appreciation for Temple of Doom that I lost since I first saw it. Since I didn't see it as much as the other two it was easily the most fresh, but I also really appreciated the risks it took. Seeing how most "family films" these days are bland, formulaic, safe and rely largely on pop-culture references for entertainment, it amazing to look back on Temple of Doom and see a "family film" that tries to be disturbing and terrifying and essentially takes its main character through hell. Few films these takes put so much faith on their audience(like showcasing a religion not from the Judeo-Christian cloth) which is too bad. And as Lance pointed out, its a really unique sequel that broadens the horizon from the original film and takes the franchise into exciting new directions. Aside the fact Indiana Jones is the main character in both Raiders and Doom, both films share nothing in common in terms of storyline and plot structure, which is really cool and, again, rare despite sequels being ubiquitous in Hollywood today as ever.

Toht's Arm

I couldn't tell you what year it was, but I first saw Temple of Doom in the 80s on VHS with my dad. He'd seen it before, and thus dutifully covered my eyes for the heartripping scene. He did describe to me what happened, though in as little detail as possible.

It's only after reading Raveners' recollections that I realise I don't remember the first time that I saw Raiders, though it MUST have been before Doom. I saw Last Crusade twice at the cinema in one week when it came out.

Djd1

239lw9.jpg

I got my favourite Temple poster framed in celebration of the anniversary....
This is the Australian day bill version. Great artwork.

Temple Raider

I was born in 1987, so I wasn't around when TOD came out. I first saw it when I was maybe 2 or 3. No other movie came close to that experience I had seeing it so young and totally blown away by it.

Temple Raider said:
I wdon't orn in 1987, so I wasn't around when TOD came I first saw it when I was maybe 2 or 3. No other movie came close to that experience I had seeing it so young and totally blown away by it.

To be fair it is highly unlikely you can remember anything before the age of 2, so it didn't have much competition.

Temple Raider

I have a decent amount of childhood memories from being merely 2-3 years old and seeing TOD is definitely one. That movie is forever seared into my brain.

Stoo

Temple Raider said:
I have a decent amount of childhood memories from being merely 2-3 years old and seeing TOD is definitely one. That movie is forever seared into my brain.
Perhaps he didn't trust your recollections because he only has memory implants like a replican't from "Blade Runner".;)

While there's no sense in replying to that guy because he's now gone, I'm with you, Temple Raider. Believe it or not, I can remember being bathed by my grandma in the kitchen sink! I can recall many other things, as well, including watching "H.R. Pufnstuf" when I was 2. That show would be creepy sometimes but it didn't have any ripped-out hearts or guys gettin' shish-kebabed! Did the movie give you nightmares at all?

Speaking of memory, as it turns out, the screening of "Doom" that I saw wasn't the 2nd, it was the 4th at 3:45pm (actually the 5th screening because of the midnight preview).

Here's another newspaper ad. "Starts Today"!

23 May, 1984 - OPENING DAY - The Gazette, Montreal
Original much LARGER 8.6 x 16.25 inches (21.8 x 41.3 cm)

84_Doom_3_small_zps5058850a.jpg

I find it funny how a couple of you in this thread (& at The Raven in general) consider some of the great movies of the period to be "Goonies", "Ghostbusters" and "Gremlins". Being freshly 17 when "Doom" came out, my gang & I thought each of those movies were crap. Goes to show how a few years spread in teen years makes a difference. Which brings me to the this...

As can be seen from the newspaper ads, in my province the film was rated "14 Years" so I've always thought of this movie as being originally meant for adults & teens and not kiddie-fare. It wasn't until the intranetses did I discover it was PG in the rest of North America!:eek:

Temple Raider

I can't remember if it gave me nightmares, don't think so. Then again I grew up a big Horror fan at a young age and was rarely ever frightened by anything except for the Crypt Keeper from Tales From The Crypt.

Stoo

23 May, 1984 - OPENING DAY - The Gazette, Montreal
Original much LARGER

The articles says:
"One L.A. theatre plans to run the film 24 hours a day as long as demand dictates."

Does anyone know which theatre that was and how long it lasted?:confused:

84_Doom_4A_small_zps1f6f9a68.jpg

84_Doom_4B_zps0dd9087a.jpg

Lance Quazar

What cool clippings, Stoo!

Very interesting to see that the film's status as a "prequel" was discussed even prior to its release.

kongisking

Stoo said:
I find it funny how a couple of you in this thread (& at The Raven in general) consider some of the great movies of the period to be "Goonies", "Ghostbusters" and "Gremlins". Being freshly 17 when "Doom" came out, my gang & I thought each of those movies were crap.

Ghostbusters? Crap?

reverse-20030430yu.gif

micsteam

Stoo.... Ghostbusters !!!??? You didn't like Ghostbusters !!!??? Awwww.. c'mon man !! The movie is classic, you must not be an Animal House, Meatballs, Stripes fan. It's ok I still like you anyway. ;)

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
What cool clippings, Stoo!
Glad you like, Lance. There are more in store!:) With regards to the latest clipping, here's a phonetic spelling of how the manager for Imperial Theatre probably would have spoken:

"We hexpect hit to be heevun more populer dan Ray Ders", says Imperial manager Mariette Morin. "Hit's suppose to 'ave heevun more haction. We're hanticipating ha big crowd for da firs show."

(Yes, I'm making fun of French Quebecers.)
Lance Quazar said:
Very interesting to see that the film's status as a "prequel" was discussed even prior to its release.
Spelled with a hyphen, too.

---
To Kong & McSteam:
In my opinion, "Ghostbusters" was garbage. Maybe my friends & I would've felt differently if we were 10 years old at the time but not at 17. We thought it was really lame and weren't the only ones our age who felt that way. Ex: Later that year, I started college (which begins early where I'm from) and one day this guy in my classes wore a stupid Ghostbusters T-shirt. A lot of people (especially the girls) were, like, "Huh? What? Ghostbusters?!? Why?". Needless to say, he never wore it to school again.

Not only was the movie crap, its title was ripped-off from a funny (at the time) mid-'70s Saturday morning TV show. Even the logo is a rip-off of the baddies from "Casper the Friendly Ghost" cartoons. Plus, the theme song was a shameless rip-off of Huey Lewis and was so overplayed, it made us want to smash whatever speaker it was coming from if we couldn't turn it off. "I ain't 'fraid of no ghosts." Oh, cripes, what a terrible, TERRIBLE song!:sick:

"Ghostbusters" was part of bad-'80s-pop-culture and right up there with all the other awful things from 1984-85: Duck boots, Boy George, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, stonewashed jeans, Footloose, Pee-Wee Herman, jeri-curled hair, WWF, fishnet tank-tops on guys, etc.

As for those other movies you mention, micsteam, I liked them but not the wildly overrated, "Ghostspunkers"! If you enjoyed it, I won't hold that against you.:)

---
Rant over. Now back to "Temple of Doom"! The 30th anniversary of the UK premiere is tomorrow...

micsteam

Nice and easy Stoo !! I really liked Ghostbusters at the time and still do it also fell in line with Reitman/Ramis moives of the late 70's early 80's and if you don't like those that's OK !! Who doesn't love Animal House !!?? Maybe it's an American thing because at the time the movie was really well received and everybody from 8yrs to 30 plus loved it !! I went to see it with my Mother and Step Father and then the next week with my Father (42 at the time) and sister and we loved it !! Just like Star Wars movies of the time you weren't cool if you didn't see the latest great movie. You can pick and choose what you liked of which movies in 1984 but bottom line.... what a great year for movies !!! It was a great year for me, I had some really bad things happening that year but I go with the positives, I really appreciate your clipings (Stoo) from local newspapers... very cool !!! :hat:

micsteam

Oh yeah, Stoo, I remember that show Ghostbusters show from the 70's with Larry Storch from F Troop fame. I think it used to be part of the Sid and Marty Kroft line up on CBS on Saturday mornings with " Land of the Lost ", " Pink Panther ", etc. Good memory I haven't thought about this stuff in a LONG TIME !! Yep, back to the subject of the thread. :hat:

Stoo

30th Anniversary of UK Premiere

30 years ago today was the Prince's Trust Charity premiere of "Doom" at the Empire Cinema in Leicester Square, London. Obviously, Prince Charles and Princess Diana were there. Here are some photos and a video of Diana greeting Spielberg, Lucas, Kate Capshaw and Robert Watts:

84_Doom_PrincesTrust_01_zpsca887917.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e8UGyv5krzU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also attending the event was my guitar hero, Pete Townshend of The Who!

84_Doom_PrincesTrust_02_zps1f5eee60.jpg

---
Micsteam, cool that your remember the "Ghost Busters" show!:D Being a collector of '70s Saturday morning TV stuff, I can assure you that it (& "Pink Panther") was not a Sid & Marty Krofft production (who were from Montreal, by the way). Another thing that the movie ripped-off were their ray/plasma gun things. Remember in the TV show they carried around a device called the Ghost Dematerializer which shot out a pinkish/purplish ray.

Plus, I'd like to mention that the dweeb* who wore the "Ghostbusters" T-shirt to college had it neatly tucked into his jeans like a real, squeaky-clean square!
:p

*Obligatory mid-'80s slang.

micsteam

Well, all that stuff was on around the same time on CBS on Saturday mornings back then, hey I'm going back like 38 years ago I'm not to bad !!

Phlip

Cannot believe Princess Diana went to see it. I was gonna say I bet she was disgusted by the violence, but then I remembered it would be the crappy UK cut version.