Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
That said, I'm holding out for the recently announced (and nearly lost in the D23 hoopla) Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen!

We've been hyping the idea of an interconnected pulp universe over at the World Famous Jungle Cruise Movie thread, but in keeping with the extended theme of this thread, the aforementioned Skipper Canteen updated its menu earlier this summer! And after opening with a fairly adventurous menu for an American theme park, I was certain it would feature an ample amount of burgers and corn dogs. Maybe a turkey leg.

But, no, Disney opted to double down on its 'exotic' fare. While there certainly crowd pleasers like the grilled steak, it's the lionfish that sticks out. Yes, lion fish. That's certainly one way to rid yourself of an invasive species.

Skippercanteen.jpg

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
You...eat that?

I'm astonished there's any expectation that <I>any</I> whole fish will sell in the parks, much less the notably spiky lionfish. I'm pretty impressed, especially considering this is still the menu at Epcot's American pavilion.

Le Saboteur

Pale Horse said:
You...eat that?

People do. Just not Disney World's target demographic which is why, like the Professor stated, it's so astonishing to see it served in the park. But with this menu update and the opening of Tiffin's in the Animal Kingdom, Disney has at least made an effort in diversifying its offerings from burgers and chicken fingers.

Now I want to try one of those night monkeys.

JasonMa

Made it to Jock's on my trip last week. Had a Hovito Mojito to add that glass to my collection. Also filled out my collection of coasters to get the complete set of 8.

Bar was busier than it was the prior trip though in this case it was mid-day Sunday, not mid-week.

Tried to see if they would sell me a menu book but no go. Maybe next time. :whip:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Menus for happy hour and seasonal offerings have been posted by Disney Springs. Mac has a menu item!

CubXI9VWEAAiaX6.jpg

CubXJfhWEAIeprw.jpg

None of these really broaden the place's geographic stretch, but that Thanksgiving flatbread is a nice departure from the usual turkey/stuffing/gravy/cranberry rendition on a Thanksgiving sandwich.

DeepSixFix

Pale Horse said:
You...eat that?
Lionfish is delicious. Nice white meat. I was surprised at how good it is. One of the best fish I have ever tasted. When I had it in the Florida Keys it wasn't served with the spikes, though.

Le Saboteur

Collectible enthusiasts might want to stop by the 28 & Main site for the first official Hangar Bar shirt! It's kinda pricey at thirty-seven bucks, but completion-ists gotta have it.*

The first batch of merchandise can be viewed here.

* --All sizes except small appear to be sold out at the moment.

JasonMa

Even as a completion-ist I had to stop at that price tag. I wouldn't even want my father-in-law (who gets a discount) to pay the discounted price to get me it as a gift.

Too bad, because they have a number of great shirts. Schweitzer Falls, Jungle Cruise, Adventurer's Club, and Shrunken Ned would all be in my collection if they were like half the price (I do have the Shrunken Ned image on my iPhone case through their print-on-demand service).

JasonMa

Stoo said:
Speaking of Hawaii...somewhere in the bar is a dinosaur tooth given to Jock by the "Jurassic Park"* character, John Hammond, for flying him to Hawaii.

*The Spielberg connection & the owning of ILM are the only excuses for this non-Disney nonsense.(n)
Looking back through this thread I saw this and realized the "rest of the story" hadn't been told. I'm sure many hear have heard it but in case you haven't:

Everyone here (presumably) knows the story of how Fred Sorenson got the role as Jock Lindsey in Raiders. Fred would later fly Spielberg's team around Hawaii for Jurassic Park as well. The filming of Jurassic Park was interrupted by hurricane Inki. After it passed over Kaua'i a helicopter was sent out to pick up Spielberg and other cast members. Sorensen was the pilot of the helicopter.

So the tooth is a nod to "Jock" saving "Hammond".

Plaristes

I finally got to visit Jock's bar this week. Unfortunately, the camera in my phone is crap, so I couldn't take good pics. Someone needs to visit with a high-res camera to take pics of all the postcards, newspaper articles, etc., that contain original info that add to the continuity so that everyone can read them. :whip:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
A short interview with Fred who celebrated his 70th at Disney Springs in 2019.

Edit: and here's what the bar looked like in 2020 with spacious pandemic seating.

Last edited:

Lance Quazar

A short interview with Fred who celebrated his 70th at Disney Springs in 2019.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!
I finally got to visit Jock's bar this week. Unfortunately, the camera in my phone is crap, so I couldn't take good pics. Someone needs to visit with a high-res camera to take pics of all the postcards, newspaper articles, etc., that contain original info that add to the continuity so that everyone can read them. :whip:
Jock's was high on my list for the aborted March 2019 WDW trip.

Hope to get back next year! If so, I'll give a full report!

(though I'm hearing disturbing rumors about not being able to buy the souvenir glasses anymore! This could be a problem...for them, not me.)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Coming to Disneyland?
An Indiana Jones restaurant and bar at Walt Disney World themed as a pilot hangout in an airplane hangar is one example of the high-end “eatertainment” concepts that Disneyland could build under a reimagined long-term vision for the Anaheim theme park resort district. Disneyland teased Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar in Disney Springs at Walt Disney World as one of the potential restaurant concepts that could be part of a proposed expansion plan during a DisneylandForward webinar.