What is the Best 90's Indy novel?

Crack that whip

I think most Indy fans (including this one) familiar with the books would agree with your assessments - the MacGregor and McCoy ones are the best / most enjoyable, while Caidin's are, ah, not so much. No disrespect intended to the late Martin Caidin - he still made a significant contribution to the Indy mythos, after all - but I think most fans believe he had a different take on the character's adventures from pretty much anyone else, or what they wanted to see in Indy stories.

That said, whatever the future holds for Indy in print, future additions to the Indy body of lore aren't much of a concern; Caidin died several years ago.

And yeah, lots of us were also looking forward to Rob MacGregor's novelization of Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. Unfortunately, the novel's release has been canceled. It was apparently viewed as part of the promotional push for the game, so it was supposed to be tied to the game's release; when the game was delayed, the novel was seen as no longer supporting the game, and unfortunately the long lead times in book publishing meant it couldn't simply be rescheduled to come out at the game's new release date. That meant if it was going to be released at all it'd have to come out months after the game, which meant it no longer served to promote the game release, so it was canned. I don't know why they couldn't just go ahead and release it anyway - they were able to release a slew of original novels that weren't promoting games at all, after all - but that's currently the way things stand. (n)

I do hope Steve Perry's book will be good, but as much of a Star Wars fan as I am, I have to admit I'm actually not entirely wild about his Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire novel, so I'm a little concerned about Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead. I'm hopeful for it, though (and I'll definitely buy it and read it, at any rate).

Crack that whip said:
I do hope Steve Perry's book will be good, but as much of a Star Wars fan as I am, I have to admit I'm actually not entirely wild about his Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire novel, so I'm a little concerned about Indiana Jones and the Army of the Dead. I'm hopeful for it, though (and I'll definitely buy it and read it, at any rate).

I'm hoping Perry's Indy book is good as well. But like the previous poster, Shadows of the Empire is where I fell off the Star Wars band-wagon. I think I made it throught he first few chapters then became bored and never finished the book.

Perry also wrote several Conan books for Tor. Once again, these were nowhere near as good as Robert Jordan's Conan books, the author whom Perry and several other new Conan writers replaced for the series, and they came nowhere close to capturing REH's spirit of the character. So, with trepidation, I await Army of the Dead.

Please give us a good Indy story, Mr. Perry!

Stoo

Errors in Poll?

Since I haven't yet cast a vote on this poll, the names of people who have done so are still visible and there's something screwy with the numbers.

"Genesis Deluge" has 4 votes but only 3 names.
"White Witch" has only 1 vote but 4 names. (Some Caiden love.)
"Philosopher's Stone" has 10 votes with 7 names.

Thought it was worth pointing out...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
bowlesk said:
Well, I have read them all now. My review.

Rob MacGregor's books are a fun and fast read. They have the tradtional Indiana Jones structure with adventure, romance, some new friends and Indy during his youth. This was very interesting and fun to read. Some of the stories were a little to magical for me, but that is sometimes Indy's MO so it was all good.

Martin Caidin was the worst writer so far. Not only were the books nothing like Indiana Jones stories, they were slow, poorly written, and used a ton of descriptive dialogue for things that didn't even matter to the story. This author just filled up 300 pages to sell a book using Indiand Jones's name without coming up with a story. Boring and dissappointing. I would not recommend these books to anyone but the most hardcore fan that wants to read it all.

Max McCoy brings back the Indy formula and does it well. Is again a fun and exciting read. He had adventure, romance, and bad bad guys. It is classic iconic Indy. The stories all were paced well. I would like to have seen some better dialogue, but it was still an enjoyable read.

Two new books:
Rob McGregor: Staff of the Kings sounds great.

and

Steve Perry: Army of the Dead
Steve did a great job with Shadows of the Empire, so I expect another well written story.

Both of these up and coming books sound great. I hope they keep writing them (just not with :gun: Martin Caidin)

I love the Dark Horse comics too by the way, but some are better than others.

I feel I should inform you that the Rob McGregor SoK novel has been cancelled (much to a lot of disappointment). There is an online petition that you can sign posted in the sticky in the Indy Lit section and also on the Raider.Net news page.

Also Caidin is eh.... dead. Unless he's a ghost writer (pardon the pun), no novels will be coming from him Indy or otherwise.

There is a Volume 2 of the digest Indiana Jones Adventures (the cartoony one) by Dark Horse also coming out along with the two junior novels and AotD. I'm personally looking forward to the 2nd Omnibus of Further Adventures that's coming out later this year.

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
Since I haven't yet cast a vote on this poll, the names of people who have done so are still visible and there's something screwy with the numbers.

"Genesis Deluge" has 4 votes but only 3 names.
"White Witch" has only 1 vote but 4 names. (Some Caiden love.)
"Philosopher's Stone" has 10 votes with 7 names.

Thought it was worth pointing out...

idk what is stranger, that or the fact that no one has voted for Sky Pirates :p

bowlesk

No disrespect to Martin, but the fact that he's dead makes me feel safe that up coming books will better. Martin is a great author, just not a good Indy author.

Cagefighterkip

THE HOLLOW EARTH is quite good, though admitedly i rly loved DINOSAUR EGGS, and GENESIS DELUGE... im in the middle of reading SEVEN VEILS which is good but (imo) weaker than those three...

|ZiR|

Interior World is so bad, guys. Like... I've been trying to read it, but I can't get through it.

I'm actually looking forward to the (in)famous Sky Pirates. :dead:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
|ZiR| said:
Interior World is so bad, guys. Like... I've been trying to read it, but I can't get through it.

If you can't get through Interior World, then you're not going to last 20 pages of Sky Pirates. ;)

I have managed to read every Indy book all the way to the end except for Sky Pirates. The closest I ever got to the end in Sky Pirates after three or four attempts was about 15 pages from the end. Even then, I was so bored by Caiden's writing, that I wasn't paying attention to what was going on and just didn't get it at all.

Interior World makes a lot more sense than Sky Pirates mostly coz despite the insanity of the events in the book, MacGregor actually manages to hold my attention and clearly describes what's happening. IW is more of a fun fantasy kind of read than an Indy story, though there are still some good Indy elements there.

Interior World

|ZiR| said:

I remember being so excited to read Interior World. Up to that point, Genesis Deluge was my favorite. I was slightly dissapointed in Unicorn's Legacy, but still had HIGH HOPES for IW. While reading IW, I kept saying to myself "This has to get better, right?" But it didn't. It was not horrible by any means. Just didn't feel like Indiana Jones to me. I was happy to see MacGregor leave the series, because I thought his well had been tapped dry. Genesis was his peak.

Then came Caiden's Sky Pirates. The concept seemed interesting, but I found that book to be HORRIBLE. White Witch was not much better. I had given up hope, then Max McCoy came along and blew me away with Philosopher's Stone. Strong book from start to finish except for the one awkward scene with Indy and the hot air balloon. I won't spoil anything for those who haven't read it. MacGregor's books always fascinated me, as they always came close to meeting my expectations of an Indy novel, but never really quite made it all the way. Genesis was the closest. It was like climbing a mountain, and turning around 100 ft from the peak instead of toughing it out to the top. McCoy's books not only met my expectations, but far exceeded them!

Is the list in the poll in chronological order? I have been looking for a list, because I want to purchase the last 3 or 4 I never got around to back in the day...

Thanks, Stoo. Apparently I quit after Sky Pirates.
I went ahead and ordered the remaining 5 from Amazon (they have a 4 for 3 promotion, all were part of except dinosaur eggs)
I also ordered Tomb of the Gods TPB and the 2 scholastic books, and pre-ordered the Marvel comics V2, Indy adventures V2, & Army of the Dead....

Last edited:

Raiders90

Dinosaur Eggs was definitely my favorite. Reading through it I wished it was made into a movie.

Secret of the Sphinx would be next on my list, followed by Philosopher's Stone and Peril at Delphi.

Really should've adapted these books into movies or YIJC episodes.

IndyBr

I don't think Interior World is as bad as you guys say...
I actually kind of like it :eek:
Specially the first chapters, and the building suspense with ghost ship, the picture in the restaurant with the ravens, it's all very scary.
I do think it gets too fantastical along the way, specially the living maze, the transformations.. well, the whole interior world concept. But somehow I enjoyed it... I love how Indy is right in the middle of something he doesn't understand or believe, his resistance to accept the situation is very funny.

As for my favorite novel... I'm not sure I have one, but for now I say Seven Veils. :whip:

Junior Jones

Re: Interior World
IndyBr said:
I love how Indy is right in the middle of something he doesn't understand or believe...

My problem is that Indy is in the middle of something I don't understand or believe.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Maybe a number of those who haven't had the pleasure of reading the books should see if they have ready access to them, by way of library or cheap paperbacks online, and we can get going with a little reading group, see if we can make heads or tails of Interior World...

IndyBr

Junior Jones said:
Re: Interior World

My problem is that Indy is in the middle of something I don't understand or believe.

Hahahaha, I do get you point.
That's everybody's major problem with the novel I think (even mine, as I said above), but the thing is... we can relate to Indy in his feelings about what the hell is going on (if anything is going on at all!).

Well, I don't know, I just enjoyed it... very odd. :confused:
But I really don't like the cover.