View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #60
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
He was born on film and for me, THAT is the be all end all.

Really?!?

Well, there's no point doing anything you don't want to, or don't have to, because...

Quote:
...this can all be what you want it to be.

Quote:
I like things to be orderly as well. Unfortunately the past like the future is always in motion, so default/defacto are the films.

To me the other stuff is just fluff however much fun.

Apart from the WEG Role-Playing Games, movie novelizations, comics and Young Indy, I haven't strayed into the expanded universe of novels. That could mean the movies are holding my attention enough not to want to. In which case we're probably seeing this from the same angle.

In any case, the films come first whenever the chronology is in doubt.

Quote:
I still have a great copy of Greedo being fried first,

In the darkest moments, when all looks lost, and uncle George appears to have totally lost the plot, I'll put in the original un-ameliorated Star Wars DVD, and enjoy watching Han shoot first.

Quote:
...as such I'm thankful the Cairo Swordsman still hasn't "shot first."

One of the greatest and most cynical gags to ever grace the big screen! If George ever messed with that scene, well...

Quote:
I go back once again to "Splinter of the Mind's Eye." A fine book no doubt, but meaningless, contradictory and as a child I deemed it a waste of time. I wanted to know more about Star Wars and this was a dead end. So, no such thing as a "Grand Admiral Thrawn", no such thing as "The Solo Twins" (can't wait for THAT Nickelodeon series)...screw that crap.

I loved Splinter. So much so that I'll make it fit into the canon no matter what it takes! Especially since Alan Dean Foster was the ghost writer of Star Wars! My favourite novels were those early ones - the original Han Solo and Lando trilogies. That was the tone and settings that the prequels should have gone for. As it is we got three movies that were quite alien to the original three.

So, whenever we come up against the issue of canon/non-canon and disappointing movies or books, we all have the choice of making the effort to view them the way we see best (the customer is always right!), since it is, after all, only entertainment.

Quote:
So until we have some Blu-Ray tweaks, there's only one Indy "canon" and it fell off the cliff with Vogel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTriple
They're deeper and more detailed, which is to be expected.

The novelizations are a great companion to the films. Because I'm hungry to know everything there is about the story, the books are essential. They add back story and extra scenes, and reading them is like imagining watching a longer version of the film itself.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote