Deleted scenes

Daley

Deleted Scene

A brief deleted shot of Willie running through the palace looking for help, after fleeing from the Thuggee guards

willieescape.jpg

Udvarnoky

I'm seeing Moedred expressed an intention to update the deleted scenes sections on the main site with some of the treasures this thread has exposed. Could I politely nudge you, Moedred? The photos collected here are incredible.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
This is still my intention. We have a few housekeeping issues to address with the site, then we hope to generate new and updated features regularly. The Indy 4 deleted scenes page was the most requested feature when I started webmastering, so I'm sure updating the trilogy would draw attention too!

Kooshmeister

Here's my question. This was probably asked and answered (and probably by me) a while ago, but I can't remember, and randomly musing about the movies made me realize... at least where Last Crusade is concerned, almost none of these deleted scenes are in the script(s); at least not in any draft I've ever seen. They're in the comic and novelization, yeah, but in the actual script, the one making the rounds on the Internet, they're MIA. That script reads less like a shooting script and more like a transcript of the film written as a script. What gives?

And also, a few of the deleted scenes from Raiders are not in its script(s), either, particularly the scene involving Sallah and the young Nazi soldier who lets him go. According to the Indy wiki, the scene isn't even in the comic and novelization. I can't speak for the comic but it definitely isn't in the book.

Since Marvel Comics and Campbell Black were working with the script to write the comic adaptation and the book respectively, if the scene existed in the draft they were working from, you'd think they'd have used it, instead of their explanation that (according to the wiki) "Sallah says he escaped punishment by convincing Dietrich that Indy had tricked him and the other diggers into thinking he was a German officer," which, while an impressive display of bullsh*tting on Sallah's part, just isn't as interesting as him staring down the young Nazi and effectively guilting the guy into letting him go.

I agree that Spielberg and co. were probably right to cut it (despite loving it to pieces, they had pacing to think of); I just wish it'd also ended up in the adaptations along with the other cut material and I'm curious why it didn't. Was it something unscripted and thought up the day of filming, and so wasn't in the draft Marvel and Black were provided with? This seems to be the most likely explanation, especially since I've also read Martin Kreidt, who plays the Nazi assigned to kill Sallah, was a tourist in Tunisia and probably cast the same day they filmed the scene.

What does the making-of book say?

micsteam

I've seen bits and pieces of the Sallah and young Nazi deleted scenes (I believe they are on the BluRay set) but the Making of book by JW Rinzler (which is EXCELLENT !! especially with the coverage of Raiders) the book does go into depth on the deleted scenes and I believe the book has production notes on them. :hat:

PaleFoxoftheBalkanBazaars

Has any footage ever surfaced of the WWI Flying Ace from the Zeppelin scene in Last Crusade? I know a few pictures exist of Pat Roach as the Gestapo agent, but haven't seen anything with the actual Flying Ace in it. I'm sure the sequence would have slowed down the overall pacing of the film, but I would really appreciate seeing anything that may exist from it.

emtiem

They call Jaeger a German actor, which isn't quite right: he was born German but was English for most of his life I think. He's remembered for, amongst other things, a few memorable appearances in Doctor Who.

PaleFoxoftheBalkanBazaars

Haha! I noticed that too. Absolutely! The character and Jaeger look like they would have been a fantastic addition to the film. Maybe it was cut because so much of the Zeppelin interior scene was already filled with plenty of comedic elements

SnakeSurprise

I've owned the Atari Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom upright for a few years now. Don't this if this was mentioned, but in the arcade game (altar scene in particular), they incorporated the omitted gangplank from the movie, in the arcade gameplay.

mqdefault.jpg
That's super rad, thanks for sharing.

Ender

Now I'm sure this is nothing new and you've seen all of these before but this channel seems to have the most exhaustive database of unused clips that were released in the BtS. That scene of Sallah serving the Germans food is so great it should've been in the final film.