Masks of Evil (Transylvania)

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
...or Indy's adventure in "Palestine, October 1917" which doesn't exist anymore.:p:whip:
I'm just glad they took a different route for the look of the main vampire and can't stop praising Bob Peck as Vlad. When I found out that he was the same actor who had played the raptor keeper in "Jurassic Park", I was floored!
It was indeed. Check out post #15 of this thread: Masks of Evil (Istanbul) for some details (where this discussion would be a bit more appropriate...but it's a little late for that:p). Thanks for all the other info on Istanbul, Sab.

For fun, maybe I'll make a replacement for the title card reading, "Constantinople, September 1918".;)
Yes, Phil.:hat: I was going to bring this up, too. Would love to know what went on there. Many months ago, I checked the subtitles and they say, 'Ankara'.

I can't believe the guy who played Robert Muldoon from Jurassic Park was Vlad the Impalar in Masks of Evil. Sometimes you watch things and you notice a guy looks familar but I had no idea that was the same actor. I actually dressed up as Robert Muldoon as a kid, he was one of my favorite characters from Jurassic Park.

CairoJones

I loved this episode I thought it was great. This episode is also teaching about history to because of the crazy Romanian that was called Vlad the Impaler.It did seem out of place in the series though.

Montana Smith

CairoJones said:
I loved this episode I thought it was great. This episode is also teaching about history to because of the crazy Romanian that was called Vlad the Impaler.It did seem out of place in the series though.

The life of the real Vlad is a fascinating one, and if you want to learn more I'd recommend the book, In Search of Dracula, by Radu Florescu and Raymond T. McNally. Europe in the fifteenth century was both politically complex and brutal. Vlad was a psychopath, yet he was also one of the few leaders who stood up to the Moslem invasion, and was in the end left high and dry when the other European leaders refused to get involved.

It's no wonder that Bram Stoker found inspiration in Vlad's gruesome story.

Montana Smith

EDIT to the above post:

I remembered this morning that Dracula: Prince of Many Faces, by Radu Florescu and Raymond T. McNally, is the better of their books (if anyone's interested!)

Raiders90

SPF seems very ''Indy-ish'' in this one. The snappy, sarcastic dialogue, especially toward the end, along with the cockiness in the beginning ("Since when have you known me to lose a bet?") kind of hint at the older, more hardened Indy of the '30s. This story is I would say very important in Indy's life--not only is it his first brush with the supernatural but his first adult brush with love and tragedy.

By the way it seems as if Indy gets stabbed in the same spot he gets shot in in Raiders.

Last edited:

Raiders90

I know this episode gets some flack but I don't understand it....For me it's a very important moment in Indy's life, even though he doesn't understand it...His first brush with the supernatural. And the whole movie (Masks of Evil, both Transylvania and Istanbul) has the darkest tone of any movie in the whole series outside of Temple of Doom.

lairdo

I agree with the theme of your post, but I just feel Trans is uneven. Indy's heroism is purely physical - he's more of a tank than anything else.

But that being said, I have always liked Istanbul from the day I read the script. It's tragic and touching with great scenery. Plus, the supporting cast is quite strong.

But it's good to have various opinions.

Demitasse

Re: Istanbul

Who was the actress that played Molly? Katherine Butler?
She was never in anything before or since... Wonder if she was related to the producer or something!

lairdo

Demitasse said:
Who was the actress that played Molly? Katherine Butler?
She was never in anything before or since... Wonder if she was related to the producer or something!

Well, that's the right actress, but I have no idea what else she did. There is a writer by the same name, so I wonder if that is the same person and just misconnected in IMDB? (Of course, there were a lot of other woman listed too in various positions.)

I do recall she came to the Ranch to do some looping although I don't think I met her.

No idea if she is related to anyone.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
She could have been a stage actress who ended up getting the part but never managed anything else on film. With that said, a pretty perfunctory googling didn't turn up anything.

lairdo

That episode was filmed in Eastern Europe, so it's possible she was an actress from Europe (likely the UK or an American living in Europe). That may explain why we cannot find anything.

I thought on the whole she did a pretty good job in the role.

Demitasse

lairdo said:
That episode was filmed in Eastern Europe, so it's possible she was an actress from Europe (likely the UK or an American living in Europe). That may explain why we cannot find anything.

I thought on the whole she did a pretty good job in the role.

Cool! Thanks lairdo! I definitely enjoyed her performance and I like that her character (in theory) should be a pretty significant "ghost" for Indy...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Was just glancing at the <I>Monkey King</I> script, and came across this:

The same crazed LAUGH of a man echoes through the crypt. A CHILLED
Indy TURNS BACK to the door. He is startled to find the crypt door
COVERED WITH A THICK SHEET OF ICE!

Indy REACHES OUT. He TOUCHES the sparkling, green ice. He SNAPS back
his hand. His fingers are BURNT.

INT. BASEMENT

MacGowan and Galbraith are OUTSIDE of the crypt door. They PULL at the
door's metal handles. Trying to OPEN IT. But the door WON'T MOVE.
MacGowan CALLS through the door.

MACGOWAN
Doctor Jones! Try to push!

INT. CRYPT

Indy ANSWERS, taking a STEP BACK.

INDIANA
Can't! There's some kinda' hot ice
coverin' the...

Looks like another piece of that script made it to film anyway?