The Complete Making of Indiana Jones

pitt_norton

What a great book... though I'm disappointed with a large percentage of quotes taken from the 2003 DVD doco. I would have loved to have read quotes from cast and crew taken from the set at the time they were filming.

Was it me or was the Last Crusade portion of the book heavily glossed over? It's like the filming really went through the motions with no major stresses.

The Crystal Skull portion was great. Lucas proved he understood what Indy was all about. A love letter to pulp. His angle for a Indy in the 50's with aliens was perfect! Spielberg and Ford missed the boat, so here we are now with a film that is dividing opinion because it tried to cater for a 'traditional' Indy film. A brushed up saucermen from mars script would have been a strong statement.

I just wished they released this book a few months from now to take in accounts from Jan 2008 to May 2008! Because as it stands it is 'incomplete'

Montana_Jones

pitt_norton said:
What a great book... though I'm disappointed with a large percentage of quotes taken from the 2003 DVD doco. I would have loved to have read quotes from cast and crew taken from the set at the time they were filming.

Was it me or was the Last Crusade portion of the book heavily glossed over? It's like the filming really went through the motions with no major stresses.

The Crystal Skull portion was great. Lucas proved he understood what Indy was all about. A love letter to pulp. His angle for a Indy in the 50's with aliens was perfect! Spielberg and Ford missed the boat, so here we are now with a film that is dividing opinion because it tried to cater for a 'traditional' Indy film. A brushed up saucermen from mars script would have been a strong statement.

I just wished they released this book a few months from now to take in accounts from Jan 2008 to May 2008! Because as it stands it is 'incomplete'
I'm guessing the January 2008 to May 2008 is reserved for the eventual hardcover release?
Frankly I'm glad YIJC was glossed over in passing in this book. This Oversized/Coffee Table book is about the Making of the FILMS.

Zoetrope

Montana_Jones said:
I'm guessing the January 2008 to May 2008 is reserved for the eventual hardcover release?
Frankly I'm glad YIJC was glossed over in passing in this book. This Oversized/Coffee Table book is about the Making of the FILMS.

Well, the hardcover edition was already released in the UK. I ordered it from amazon.co.uk. Received it a couple of days ago. It has the same content as the paperback edition. Still, great book!

Michael24

Perhaps there should a separate "The Complete Making of Young Indiana Jones" book. That would be pretty sweet. (y)

Michael24

Maybe not huge, but I think it would do decent. Regardless of what Young Indy haters want to think, there are fans of the show out there.

FILMKRUSC

I picked this book up. If you are a fan of the Indiana Jones films then it's a definite must have. Lots of great behind the scenes pics. (y)

After seeing this one, I'll probably pick up the Star Wars one they did a couple of years ago.

Michael24

Actually "The Making of Star Wars" by J.W. Rinzler just came out last year, for the film's 30th(!) anniversary. :) It's very good, though.

Montana_Jones

Michael24 said:
Maybe not huge, but I think it would do decent. Regardless of what Young Indy haters want to think, there are fans of the show out there.
Never said I'm a hater. One of those fans are also on my ignore list. Said deviant is "Adamwankenobi" of which I won't go into detail.
It wouldn't sell very well though. Even I'm very hesitant with purchasing all three volumes of the Young Adventures of Indiana Jones. It's why I'm Netflixing the episodes only.
This is a great book and I'm glad it only focused upon the films.

Ignatius Stone

Actually "The Making of Star Wars" by J.W. Rinzler just came out last year, for the film's 30th(!) anniversary. It's very good, though.

Allegedly they're also going to do Making of Empire and Jedi books in this format, too.
For the most part they'll reprint the contents of the old Del Rey "Making Of" paperbacks from 1980 and 1983, but with a bunch of archival photos and updated content, etc.

Michael24

Montana_Jones said:
Never said I'm a hater. One of those fans are also on my ignore list. Said deviant is "Adamwankenobi" of which I won't go into detail.
It wouldn't sell very well though. Even I'm very hesitant with purchasing all three volumes of the Young Adventures of Indiana Jones. It's why I'm Netflixing the episodes only.
I wasn't sure if you were a hater or not, but I was just talking in general. Haven't noticed anything bad about Adamwankenobi," but I still think they should give Young Indy its own book. I hadn't seen the series since it first aired, but I picked up Volume 1 about a month ago and I loved it; watched the whole thing in about three days. Can't wait to pick up Volume 2 and 3. After seeing it, I definitely don't understand the hate towards it some people have.

Ignatius Stone said:
Allegedly they're also going to do Making of Empire and Jedi books in this format, too.
For the most part they'll reprint the contents of the old Del Rey "Making Of" paperbacks from 1980 and 1983, but with a bunch of archival photos and updated content, etc.
Yeah, I'd also heard there were supposed to be subsequent volumes for Empire and Jedi, but I can't find any info on them other than a story that hinted at them prior to the Star Wars book's release. I would hope it's more than just reprinting stuff, although the original book Once Upon A Galaxy: A Journal of the Making of The Empire Strikes Back by Alan Arnold is quite awesome and comprehensive.

bergstrom

Are the transcripts from the Lucas/Spielberg/Kasdan story conferences in this book? If not, anyone have them??

berg

SterankoII

Are the transcripts from the Lucas/Spielberg/Kasdan story conferences in this book? If not, anyone have them??

That's my favorite part of the book! It's a two page section with the transcripts of them coming up with the different bits of the opening sequence. It's fun reading Lucas and Spielberg pitching ideas like the spike boobytrap and the boulder for the first time.

Shark_Blade

I have the book, it's great and very informative.

I'm wondering, is The Making of Star Wars cover episode 4-6 only?
I'd like to see episode 1-3 as well but don't think the book is anywhere to be found.

sunshinestate1992

Shark_Blade said:
I have the book, it's great and very informative.

I'm wondering, is The Making of Star Wars cover episode 4-6 only?
I'd like to see episode 1-3 as well but don't think the book is anywhere to be found.
no actually the making of star wars is only for a new hope.

Shark_Blade

What? Only one? Lucky I didn't bought it then. Indy got all 4 movies squeezed into one giant book. :(

Anyway thanks for the heads up salussolia. :)

Shark_Blade

Yeah, but I really love Episode 1 and Episode 6 the most.

Maybe I'll consider to buy it anyway.;)

About the book title, they should made it pretty clear, it's pretty confusing for us customers.

Crytal clear like this should be convenient:

The Making Of
STAR WARS
A New Hope

sunshinestate1992

Shark_Blade said:
Yeah, but I really love Episode 1 and Episode 6 the most.

Maybe I'll consider to buy it anyway.;)

About the book title, they should made it pretty clear, it's pretty confusing for us customers.

Crytal clear like this should be convenient:

The Making Of
STAR WARS
A New Hope
Im not a big fan of star wars but i bought it because i love seeing how they made it. Specifically george lucass righting. Which is different form indiana jones becasue i love indiana jones and ,love seeing how they made it. :)
Yeah i see what you mean :) :whip:
i think thye say star wars because i think it was the original title. But i see what you mean, That would counfuse me too.:whip: :whip: