Barnett or Marshall?

Junior Jones

He apparently taught at both. Maybe sometime between movies he switched schools.

According to the books, he taught at the University of London right out of college and then taught at Princeton a few years later.

Gregoire Defence

I've compiled a list that you can find on the Indy Experince.com
http://www.theindyexperience.com/

1925- Indy teaches at the University of London right after graduating from grad school (Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants)

1927- Gets fired, because he is depressed (long story) (Indiana Jones and the Genisis Deluge)

1930- Indy acepts a teaching postion at Princeton (Indiana Jones and the White Witch)

1935- Indy apparently resigns at Princeton and starts teaching at Marshall College. This is the college he teaches at in Raiders. (Raiders of the Lost Ark)

1937- Indy gets a new job at Barnett College. Compeats with rival professor (Indiana Jones and the Arms of Gold)

1938- this is where Indy teaches in Last Crusade (Last Crusade of course)

I

Indy_Jones88

I think that is true. I have heard that somewhere before.

Lightning

Although Marshall is the popular name for the college in Raiders, the name never appeared on screen. Barnett, on the other hand, did. Since the Indy's classroom is the same in both movies, (including the buildings visible through the window) I am forced to conclude that he taught at Barnett in both movies.

Finn

Staff member
Relax, Greg. No one didn't ignore you... there's just been some very good arguments that it might be the same college in both movies... which actually sounds pretty good and structurally believeable, though I am one of them who at least this far lived in faith that they are two different schools in Raiders and LC.

Gregoire Defence

Except for the fact that Marshall College was mentioned by name numerous times in the Futhur Adventures of Indiana Jones comics my Marvel (1936) right after Raiders, and Barnett was mentioned by name in Last Crusade (1938) and Fate of Atlantis (1939)

Finn

Staff member
But plenty of stuff in the Indy timeline must be considered apocryphal... (e.g. Emperor's Tomb is in conflict with McCoy novel <i>Dinosaur Eggs</i> on the case of Wu Han), so it's really difficult to tell.

I, however, still do think that they are two different schools (so don't ya worry Greg, I'll back up your opinion).

Katarn07

Finn said:
But plenty of stuff in the Indy timeline must be considered apocryphal... (e.g. Emperor's Tomb is in conflict with McCoy novel <i>Dinosaur Eggs</i> on the case of Wu Han), so it's really difficult to tell.

I, however, still do think that they are two different schools (so don't ya worry Greg, I'll back up your opinion).

I caught that too but I just thought it was hilarious when Indy goes, "Yeah, who the hell are you?!" so I didn't mind it too much. Of course, that'd conflict with the fact Wu Han 'followed Indy on many adventures' so the book is more believable.

The books, comics, and video games (like the SW ones) have some conflicts and they're usually worked out with facts like Greg posted. I'm sticking to that theory. I didn't know Indy taught at Princeton. I stopped reading the books after the Unicorn one (awful, awful book).

preyer

oops, i meant barnett, not barlett. :)

it's 'obvious' that it's the same college in raiders and tlc simply from marcus' presense, isn't it? unless brody switched museums to match indy's location, which still didn't seem to take him too far away from dad, who presumably still lived in the same house in utah. and the classroom still looked basically the same in both movies, so i'm satisfied that indy never changed colleges in that time.

marshall was the first college i heard mentioned, so that's the one i'm stuck on. the problem with that is there's already a marshall college, though that's not to say it was around 60 years ago.

i'm glad i'm not alone in wondering which he worked at, though. i was beginning to think i was pretty dumb, lol.

Katarn07

But Preyer, Marcus has nothing to do with the college itself, but rather with Indy. He's a museum curator and goes where Indy is for the artifacts to add to his museum's collection. They're long time friends also, so I don't think Marcus minds the drive (if there is one).

Tennessee R

I think the real question is:
Is the gum stuck to Indy's shoe, or to the coal shute? :D Fate of Atlantis
Is the bookshelf still overturned, upstairs in Barnett? :D Fate of Atlantis

No, I usually think of Barnett, when I think of Indy teaching.
Maybe it's bacause I like Last Crusade best, or maybe it's because Barnett plays such a crucial part in Fate of Atlantis.

Finn

Staff member
Let's not forget that we even have one post-war sequel in Indy's adventures, the IM. Though it does not tell what Indy did between that incident and FoA, I wonder what are his stats in 1947. Okay, he is an archaeologist doing a lone wolf dig in the American southwest, but there actually is an indication in the game that Indy still <i>does work for the Barnett College</i>. (Okay, it's a far shot, but I still consider it as an indication to that.)

But before I reveal what it is, let's see if you others have any idea of what I might be talking about...

Joe Brody

I don't think so because the line starts from San Francisco (Treasure Island) and works West. No names as far as I recall.