Pre-History and God

As copious as the list of contemporary writings that don't mention him at all, when considering their content, they probably 'should' (I hate to use that word)

Ya... Wiki is to be taken with a critical eye, but one does it a disservice if one dismisses it completely.

Gustav

Doc Savage said:
No, that's parroting. Faith has to be found personally. And it comes by relationship, not religion. "Organized religion" is the second worst thing to happen to man...Jesus Himself agreed with that.

What was the worst?

Doc Savage

fortuneandglory said:
Ah! You pose an interesting stipulation. Never thought of that before.
Thank you. And in regard to Cain and Abel, we really have no idea if they were the first children Adam and Eve had. I have a theory in relation to Ezekiel 28 that they had children before the fall. This would answer the "Cain's wife" question.

fortuneandglory

Another interesting thought, but I had another theory that might be considered. Cain had to marry someone. A cousin? A sister? Who knows. Someone had to do some incest. As sick as that sounds, genetics wouldn't really play a part that early on. Adam and Eve were made without genetic defect. Genetic defects happen within the egg in its first developments and divisions, and DNA replications. In theory, their babies would all have different DNA replication defects, and could reproduce incestually without matching defects. In the same way, the cousins could then reproduce, again without matching defects. As far as Cain goes, was he the first child with serious genetic defect? I don't know, but its just a thought.

fortuneandglory

Its not something that can be proven.

Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image

Looks like god, is like god, sinless and eternal. If God is perfect, the people he makes would be perfect, at first. Thats where free will comes in, and mucks everything up for us.

Not that I can prove any of that... but it stands to reason if you are a Christian.

fortuneandglory

Faith requires less proof, however. Proof only solidifies.

Reason in conjunction with faith however, is very strong to the faithful. So the comment really doesn't apply to you.

San Holo

For the athiests out there- here's a question- How does it make you feel to know that everyone you love, as well as yourself, is going to die-and be dead forever and ever..?think about that for a minute. No more thoughts,cries or laughs ever again.

"How does it make you feel to know that everyone you love, as well as yourself, is going to die-and be dead forever and ever..."

Who Dies?

A nephew once asked me when he was quite young
Who dies? I said, Everyone dies.
No use denying it one day you're done
Oh, everyone dies
Princes and paupers there's no one immune
And no one who'll escape their demise
So you'd better make use of each day that you're given
Oh everyone dies

Now people have pondered this time and again
Who dies? Everyone dies.
We suspect that we're more than mere mortal remains
Oh everyone dies
Wise men and prophets they've all had their say
On the nature of our afterlives
But in case there's no beer there we'll have one more round
Oh everyone dies.

Your time may be short or your time may be long
Who dies? Everyone dies
But it's going to happen as sure as you're born
Oh everyone dies
Friends and relations and all we hold dear
Will one day pass to the other side
So we'd better embrace them as long as they're here
Oh everyone dies

(This 'sings' much better than it reads.... It's actually a kinda up-beat "call and response" song.... I sing "Who Dies?" and the audience answers back "Everyone dies!")

,-)

Finn

Staff member
I find this idea of literally taking the bible into account a little obnoxious. The Good Book has many debatable parts, the most obvious of them the Genesis.

I'm trying to look the Bible here through the eyes of a historian, and thus disregard even the parts that appear impossible judging by the modern laws of the physics (miracles, etc). The Bible mostly accounts the days when there has been plenty witnesses around to see and hear the things that have been written up to its pages. But what about the part when there was no one getting up a live account?

As the human cognitive thinking has been pretty much the same for the time homo sapiens has roamed on this Earth, it would be easy to say that the missing part where reconstructed by using the most viable scientific theories available.

So I'm not accusing the writers of the Bible for writing sheer fiction; the Good Book can well be a very accurate historical document that's written after the knowledge and theories possessed on the day.

It brings us to an interesting mindplay. What if the Bible was written on this very day? Presuming, of course, that it actually was written based on the facts and theories people knew at the very moment back then. People taking the Bible literally these days can't probably deny that in core, it's a history book to them that sheds the light into the early days of a man. But at the same time, they're creating a paradox, as they fail to read it as any other historical document should be read in order to bring out the most of it; reflect it to their own time.

If a modern day encyclopaedia and one that's been written fifty years ago possess contradicting information, rare is the mind who trusts the latter one. Now, why can't same be taken into account with the Bible? Possibly because people have been told that the Good Book can't possess misguiding information. And we shouldn't forget that the quarter who most outlines this is the one that wants to keep the religion organized, something Jesus himself found non-favourable.

I think the biggest threat to reaccounting the Holy Word using the current knowledge is that it strips people from their faith. I don't think so, as there is no way to scientifically prove there is no God.

Half a millennia ago a man named Martin Luther made an enormous favor to the world with what he did. Perhaps it would be an opportune time for a modern-day counterpart who'd bring the christianity up to speed with the rest of the world without mutilating its core ideals.