Barnett or Marshall?

Marcus Petrius

I thought there also was a newspaper article saying something along the lines of 'Eminemt professor searches in American southwest' or something like that. The 'camera' pans to that article after showing the 'Iron curtain down on Europe' headline, as far as I can remember.
It's been a long time since I've last played IM.

Mike

Finn

Staff member
The thing I'm talking about are the crates. As you know, there are several crates scattered around the game, and they have something written in them either in Russian, German, English or Japanese. The thing that combines them all is that on top of them there reads the sender. The sender of the Russian crates is "Volodnikova", which is a nice pun, indicating that Volodnikov's wife sent them out to the field. Can't say what do the markers on the Jap crates say, the German crates have something sent to Horner from Germany... but what we're interested in are the crates with English on them.

And they do say:
BARNETT COLLEGE ANTHROPOLOGY DEPT
ATTN DR JONES

Which indicates that they were sent to Indy by his very own school.

(Yeah, I know... this is pretty vague, but it's a cool thought nevertheless.)

Joe Brody

I'm way off-base here. I thought we were talking about the red-line journey in Raiders. Sorry, I'm not a gamer and I didn't really read the above posts carefully. My bad.

Finn

Staff member
Anyway, this does not clearly state that Indy would still be working for the Barnett College, but I think that at least the game designer team thought they did while adding that in.

It's funny. Barnett was in just one of the movies, but to majority of the fans it is THE college Indy works in.

Luckylighter

I know this has been posted already, but I think it was Barnett for both movies just because it is the exact same classroom in both films.

However, if I'm not mistaken, in the "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archive" book, the model miniatures for the set designers are labeled differently for both movies. The "Raiders" classroom has a Barnett label, while "Last Crusade" has a Marshall label. I'm at work and away from my bookcase, so I can't verify this right now, but if someone has the book reletively handy, they can confirm this for me.

Regardless, I'm still convinced they were the same college. But, then again, until I discovered these fansites back in February, I still thought Indy taught at Princeton in "Raiders" and "LC". Of course, I was basing this on the "Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" and the fact that his father taught there in the series, and the campus looked so similar to the one from the movies. But that's just me, I'm just that type of cat.

Finn

Staff member
Now, when I went to the upper secondary school (the closest Finnish equivalent to the American senior high), there was some interesting things going on by that time, for example they were constructing a new school building besides the one we were in that was to be taken use when it was finished.

Now, the day finally became and people were of course going all cool by the new devices and modern-looking decor... until one of my friends commented: "Generally it's still the same. You've seen one classroom, you've seen them all."

Now, I don't quite agree that the classroom is exactly the same in both LC and Raiders. Sure, they have a lot in similar, but that does not mean that they are the one and same room... especially by that time, when buildings were made even more after similar model than today, it is completely logical that the classrooms look same in decor (and yeah, perhaps they simply recycled some props).

TheMutt92

Whats the deal with Marshall and Barnett Colleges?

Okay, so as long as I have been a fan of Indy, I was led to believe that he taught at Marshall College for all four movies. Then I started hearing things like he teaches at a Barnett College in one of the movies, then goes back for KOTCS. Dosn't make sense, I mean why would he (and Marcus for that matter) be switching between these colleges?

Michael24

Teachers do sometimes transfer between schools, probably for a variety of reasons: better teaching positions, salary, closer proximity to home, etc. My history teacher in 10th grade used to teach in New York, where he was born, before coming out to California to teach. Several years later, I learned that he had transfered back to New York. So Indy transfered to Barnett at some point and after awhile decided to transfer back to Marshall. Perhaps he got fed up with Barnett College office politics or something. He could have went back to Marshall for any number of reasons.

As for Brody, I don't believe in Raiders and The Last Crusade that he was ever actually affiliated with the school, just visiting Indy on campus. Perhaps only later, post-LC, did he start actually working at the school and become the Dean. But perhaps somebody else knows more for sure. :)

Falcon

Indy taught at Marshall in Raiders, at Barnett in Last Crusade, and back at Marshall in Crystal Skull. In regards to video games, he teaches at Barnett in Fate of Atlantis and LEGO Indiana Jones. I don't recall if the novels mention him teaching at either of these colleges.

Marcus was curator at the Metropolitan Museum in New York, and not affiliated with any schools. His museum simply financed Indy's expeditions in return for any artifacts Indy might find.

mattzilla2010

Marshall/Barnett

I am rather confused on the issue of what college Indy teaches at. So he is at Marshall in Raiders, Barnett in Crusade, but back at Marshall again for Skull?

And if I am correct there, why do Marshall and Barnett look (at least to my eyes) exactly the same?

IndyKate

mattzilla2010 said:
I am rather confused on the issue of what college Indy teaches at. So he is at Marshall in Raiders, Barnett in Crusade, but back at Marshall again for Skull?

And if I am correct there, why do Marshall and Barnett look (at least to my eyes) exactly the same?

I'm confused too - What information tells us he was at Marshall in Raiders?

I thought he was at Barnett through the whole of the movie series until Crystal Skull... Mainly because he's at Barnett in the book "Secret of the Sphinx" (the only one I've read and the only reason I know he ever taught at Barnett) which I think is set in a year near to the events of Raiders... but it's been a few years, so I could be completely off! :p

Attila the Professor

Staff member
IndyKate said:

I thought he was at Barnett through the whole of the movie series until Crystal Skull... Mainly because he's at Barnett in the book "Secret of the Sphinx" (the only one I've read and the only reason I know he ever taught at Barnett) which I think is set in a year near to the events of Raiders... but it's been a few years, so I could be completely off! :p

No, I'm pretty sure you've got that one right.

ChromiumBlue37

The same goes for me. If Marcus is not affiliated with either school, then why the portrait and massive statue?

I can understand one school, but Marcus has been involved in both in some way.

Perhaps the schools changed names or there are two separate campuses that are close by. My father teaches ancient world history at one and then walks over to teach German at another.

Udvarnoky

IndyKate said:

He was at Marshall in Raiders. In fact if I'm not mistaken, the establishing shot of the college in Crystal Skull was lifted directly from Raiders.

I think the reason they switched to Barnett in Last Crusade was because for whatever reason they used a different college exterior when filming the movie. I think there is a story related explanation for the switch provided by expanded universe writings, but I wouldn't know it off hand.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if the film makers simply just forgot about the whole Marshall/Barnett thing when making Crystal Skull and just made it Marshall College after re-watching Raiders. It's confusing, but I guess not really important in the long run.