What was your experience seeing KOTCS in the theater like?

Dr Bones

Udvarnoky said:
They've certainly got more of an open mind than you do, that's for sure.

On what do you base that senseless attack?

Totally uncalled for!

Udvarnoky said:
I'm getting really sick of this argument that everyone who was disappointed by the movie felt that way because their expectations were unfair.

Seems like you made your mind up about this "argument" without room for consideration of the alternative. (And I thought it was a discussion).

Thanks for your open minded response.

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

You insinuated that everyone who went to my midnight showing (which would include me), and indeed anyone who didn't like the film, were "fanboys" who didn't enjoy the movie because they failed to have an open mind. How exactly do you expect that sort of talk to bring out the civility in people?

As a die-hard Indiana Jones fan and someone who I like to believe can go into a movie with an open mind, I was very disappointed by Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. My expectations were for exactly what was promised: an Indiana Jones movie that delivers - nothing more or less. I did not expect a movie that would be anywhere near Raiders, but I did not expect a movie that was relentlessly average, either. I don't go to a film with Indiana Jones in the title to see an average action adventure movie, because it's not an average franchise and it's not made by average talent. That is not the same as expecting something classic, or flawless, or whatever other expectations some people here are quick to attribute to people who don't agree with them.

I think the odds were always against Indy4, and that it was never going to surpass its predecessors. I also believe it could have, and should have, been a much better film, and if that makes me a "fanboy," then I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Dr Bones

Udvarnoky said:
You insinuated that everyone who went to my midnight showing (which would include me), and indeed anyone who didn't like the film, were "fanboys" who didn't enjoy the movie because they failed to have an open mind. How exactly do you expect that sort of talk to bring out the civility in people?

Ok...I am truly sorry if you misunderstood my post. I did not intend to insult anyone but that said if you cannot responded without "civility" as you put it then perhaps you should not respond at all or refer to the forum code of conduct.

Anyway..Edited for relevance..

Udvarnoky said:
I went see the movie several times, The midnight showing was the most memorable for me, because it was packed with nothing but Indiana Jones fans ... Everyone walked out underwhelmed..

I didn't label you.

Udvarnoky said:
The most enjoyable showing for me was definitely when .... it's just really infectious being in a theater with people who are genuinely enjoying the movie.

So you paid to see a movie you were disappointed with several times, but in the end it was the infectious reactions of an appreciative audience (not made up solely of Indy fans) made it more enjoyable?

Can you see how I arrived at my opinion from what you said?

Ultimately we are all fans on here otherwise why would we be here?

I merely reflected on what is a common perception from fans aka fanboys like myself!

You being "sick" of a common pereption or opinion does not give you license to drop civility.

I think I have made my point.

Again I apologise if I come across badly or if the written word is too easy to misinterpet but I feel strongly that your response was completely unnecessaery.

I trust my apology is accepted.

muttjones

mine was packed. everyone laughed at everything (even the goaphers). I seemed to enjoy it the most more than any other time then (not so much now). The first minute of the film stuffed up and no picture came up and people shouted towards the projector room. It was a great atmosphere. I had never experienced a movie like that before.

Way of the dodo

Both times I saw it the crowd was totally with the movie UNTIL the quicksand scene. Then you could feel it slowly slipping away, more and more, the movie totally lost them around the waterfalls and never got them back.

Dr Bones

Udvarnoky said:
if that makes me a "fanboy," then I guess I'll just have to live with it.

BTW. A heated discussion on a forum dedicated to Indiana Jones puts us both well within that category I would have thought? ;)

michael

Not much a reaction in the theater. There also weren't many people in there (it was a Sunday night showing) See, this is why I will regret not seeing this opening night, with a packed crowd, the ambience + plus new Indy movie, would have been totally awesome.

caats

anybody have people applaud on airplane landings?

Way of the dodo said:
Both times I saw it the crowd was totally with the movie UNTIL the quicksand scene. Then you could feel it slowly slipping away, more and more, the movie totally lost them around the waterfalls and never got them back.

i actually had some people go "ohhhh!!" when marion said mutt was indy's kid. i guess it was kinda a twist. once the aliens came i was taken out of it on first viewing. but the wedding pulled me back in.

twlightzone1205

At my theater half-way through the film, the viewers began booing and throwing their popcorn and soda all over the screen. Then they began slashing and ripping it with their knives. They were out of control! Next they all ran upstairs and pulled out the poor kid running the film and proceded to beat him. Then they went after his family...

Well, actually the full audience I saw it with was pretty quiet. Many of the scenes meant to be funny got no response at all. Now my wife and I did enjoy the movie, but definitely not the same reaction as watching it with LC viewers back in the summer of '89.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Australians like it has been noted with the Brits, are not really a lively audience. However there are exceptions: Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl, Wild Hogs, Dodgeball, Revenge of the Sith..... and believe it or not, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Dark Knight even more so, but didn't personally go to see it and am still not interested as I totally despise Batman Begins in the first place).

I went to see KOTCS twice. I won a competition to be in the audience of the public premiere of the film and that cinema was packed with a couple of hundred comp winners (it was a radio comp) and there was only one kid with a fedora, so I doubt that every single one of these people were fans, they just wanted free tickets. In any case, they did seem to enjoy the film, they laughed at all the appropriate moments, even harder than I did. I did feel personally lost when the Tarzan moment came up. I had heard about it over the net, but it still didn't prepare me for that moment and it certainly didn't prepare me for the waterfalls, which blew it for me. When the end credits started to roll people immediately walked out. There was silence. It seemed that the audience wasn't that happy with the end of the Jungle Chase onwards as well.

The second time was very similar except not as many people and more younger audience (I took my little brother, about 11 at the time) and enjoyed it more. My brother seems to enjoy the film and every kid I've met under the age of 14 seems to have enjoyed and even loved KOTCS. They did take their time to walk out in that session.

MaxPhactor23

Didn't get much of anything. Mild laughs when appropriate...usually. No applause. Just typical really. Nothing to write home about. I sometimes like to listen to the crowd as they come out. From what I heard, it was very mixed. Some complaints about aliens. Others enjoyed.

Dr.Jonesy

Well I'm into Aliens and such so it didn't bother me. I thought it was kinda cool.

The Nuke was totally unexpected.

I hated it at first but even before he jumped in a fridge I was thinking

"How the hell is he going to get outta this one?!"

I love the whole sequence now.

The only stuff I still can't get my head around is the rubber tree/waterfalls and the vineswinging.

Judging by the applause most people were happy at my theater.

Dewy9

I was with a horrible crowd opening night. They didn't find anything funny or worthy of a reaction, other than the blow dart and ants.

And of the three times I went, I was surprised to see how ho-hum everyone apparantly was about Marion's return. She was meant to be a major treat for the fans, and even if you feel that she was under-used, you couldn't have possibly thought that when she first showed up.

Oh well, that's why they make DVDs. ;)

caats

Dr.Jonesy said:
Well I'm into Aliens and such so it didn't bother me. I thought it was kinda cool.

The Nuke was totally unexpected.

I hated it at first but even before he jumped in a fridge I was thinking

"How the hell is he going to get outta this one?!"

I love the whole sequence now.

The only stuff I still can't get my head around is the rubber tree/waterfalls and the vineswinging.

Judging by the applause most people were happy at my theater.

yeah now i dig it a lot. i still don't like how they showed the alien, but i liked the saucer(though that whole akator act is still weak). i knew he was gonna survive the nuke, so when he ran in looking for shelter i thought "oh god please be a shelter or something, oh don't go in the fridge. jeez."

Forbidden Eye

First showing was great.

Saw it opening day(in a brand new theater, literally. It opened May 22nd and had all 14 theaters showing it for its grand opening), and everyone was into it. They laughed at all the right moments(biggest laugh being Indy's line after being told Mutt's his son) and at the end the people in the front clapped(I joined them). Very impressive range of an audience from both genders ranging from to little kids to those who looked to be in their 80s. There was a great feeling in the air too of finally getting to see a film we've waited 19 years for. Plus, I got free Indiana Jones Topps cards. (y) I thought afterwards, "It's going to be very hard for all the message boards to bash this movie!".

2nd + 3rd viewings obviously couldn't live up to that reaction. Plus I saw both during weekdays(3rd viewing just a few days before TDK came out). Still, pretty decent sized audience considering. Didn't seem like a type to get overly excited about any movie though.

Last edited:

caats

the moment of Indy putting hat on was pretty magical. FINALLY get to see indy on the big screen. and then the 4th time with my lil cousin turning to me and saying "i liked it!!" when it ended was awesome.

Agent Z

Udvarnoky said:

As a die-hard Indiana Jones fan and someone who I like to believe can go into a movie with an open mind, I was very disappointed by Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. My expectations were for exactly what was promised: an Indiana Jones movie that delivers - nothing more or less. I did not expect a movie that would be anywhere near Raiders, but I did not expect a movie that was relentlessly average, either. I don't go to a film with Indiana Jones in the title to see an average action adventure movie, because it's not an average franchise and it's not made by average talent. That is not the same as expecting something classic, or flawless, or whatever other expectations some people here are quick to attribute to people who don't agree with them.

I think the odds were always against Indy4, and that it was never going to surpass its predecessors. I also believe it could have, and should have, been a much better film, and if that makes me a "fanboy," then I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Isn't this the epitome of overhype though? You aren't taking the film on its own merits, but rather expecting it to be already above a predetermined mark in your mind.

It's interesting listening to Spiilberg on the dvd extras, as he was saying that they weren't setting out to outdo the other films, or that they felt the need to "top" some previous mark. Rather, the film was made to be a blood relative of the other films in the series.

Personally, I like that approach. Each film in the series is stylistically and tonally different from the others. Kingdom continues that approach and doesn't seem to have the pretensions to be something it isn't, other than a pulpy fun ride.

Back to the thread topic though...

I attended 5 showings of Kingdom. One was a critic's screening, and those are almost always dead silent anyway...although there were some appreciative reactions to Indy's intro, Spalko, and laughter at Indy's "Why the hell.." line to Marion.

In fact, that line always got laughs at every showing I attended. Certain scenes just seemed to work every time.

The general audiences I watched the film with seemed to be either enjoying it enough and into it, but I can't say they stood up and were speaking in tongues while applauding wildly either. :p

Darth Vile

Last count I saw the movie 3 times in the cinema... 1st screening was odd as it was predominantly an adult crowd (which is strange when considering the movie). The crowd did seem to enjoy it, but I did hear some comments when leaving about "Harrison being too old", "aliens being silly" etc. etc.

2nd screening was totally different, as it was an earlier showing and the crowd was mixed e.g. kids, adults, and teenagers. The crowd were a lot more receptive with laughs, ‘oohs’ and ‘ahhs’ in all the right places. The general crowd reaction can heighten or lessen one's perception/enjoyment of the movie... so I definitely enjoyed the 2nd screening better than the first.

3rd viewing was a lunchtime performance (took my 10 year old nephew). The crowd consisted of parents with kids, and as you can imagine, they loved it. Great buzz about it… which made the viewing a lot more enjoyable that it otherwise could/should have been.