Alien Series

The Best of the Alien Films?

• Total voters

TheMutt92

One thing I forgot to mention: I am not sure which versions I saw of the Alien films. My friend had them all in an AVP box set. I know Alien3 was the theatrical version, but Alien and Aliens could've been the director's cuts. I would be interested in seeing the alternate versions in the future.

Dr. Gonzo

TheMutt92 said:
I'm gonna be in a minority here by agreeing w/ Resident Alien's opinion: I'm surprised a lot of people believe Aliens to be the best in the franchise, and sometimes even the greatest sci-fi film of all time.
You're not in the minority...
I believe most people consider the first to be the best, including myself.

On this board it might seem different because, after all, we are on an action adventure hero's message board.

Then again it could be the fact that most of the people I know are film fanatics.

I'd like to go further and say Alien is one of the top ten best horror/suspense films ever made.

Montana Smith

I like all the orignal four Alien movies for different reasons. I also like the fact that each film moved the story onward, and didn't just repeat the formula of the first. Alien obviously created the horror that infests Aliens, the sequel which really opened up the possibilities.

The weakest, for me, was Alien3 since it was so visually depressing. After the excitement of the previous film it felt like a less effective version of Alien. There was very little uplifting in this one, though it did move the story in an unexpected direction.

Alien Resurrection gets a rough ride. Though this one is pure Dark Horse comic book. It's the Star Wars Original Trilogy of the Alien series. A space opera on a larger scale than the former three, complete with black comedy, visceral horror, swimming aliens, Ron Perlman and Winona Ryder. Who could ask for more? :)

The first four gave us four different views of the Xenomorph (and human) menace. If you buy into the story then they work, but if you look for four versions of Alien then you're going to be disappointed. Four versions of the original would have been as cliched as a series of slasher movies.

If you include the AvPs and the Predator movies, this becomes a massive inter-related story - and that's how I like to see them.

Last edited:
Montana Smith said:
I like all the orignal four Alien movies for different reasons. I also like the fact that each film moved the story onward, and didn't just repeat the formula of the first. Alien obviously created the horror that infests Aliens, the sequel which really opened up the possibilities.

The weakest, for me, was Alien3 since it was so visually depressing. After the excitement of the previous film it felt like a less effective version of Alien. There was very little uplifting in this one, though it did move the story in an unexpected direction.

Alien Resurrection gets a rough ride. Though this one is pure Dark Horse comic book. It's the Star Wars Original Trilogy of the Alien series. A space opera on a larger scale than the former three, complete with black comedy, visceral horror, swimming aliens, Ron Perlman and Winona Ryder. Who could ask for more? :)

The first four gave us four different views of the Xenomorph (and human) menace. If you buy into the story then they work, but if you look for four versions of Alien then you're going to be disappointed. Four versions of the original would have been as cliched as a series of slasher movies.

If you include the AvPs and the Predator movies, this becomes a massive inter-related story - and that's how I like to see them.

We're on the same page...

I enjoyed the turn Alien III took. The characters were more compelling than the various Marines in II. No slight to II, it took the film from horror/thriller to action/horror.

I liked the others for various reasons, AVP(s) ect...but none offered much more than a new setting.

I guess if I were to have owned AVP for The Atari Jaguar it's not a big stretch.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I liked the others for various reasons, AVP(s) ect...but none offered much more than a new setting.

Aliens coming to Scotland is an interesting idea. From the link it appears Ridley was looking for a mountainous region, and not necessarily just a moonscape:

While other mountainous parts of Europe have also been considered, the Scottish Highlands backdrop is favoured because it fits the new film's central theme of "grand mythology and universe" in which this original story takes place.

Still hope this "grand mythology" is closely linked to the xenomorphs we know so well.

Montana Smith

Dr. Gonzo said:
It's being said that some artwork for Prometheus is circling the web... the catch is it was post on April first so...

Take a look anyway.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49109

And it was an April Fool's hoax!

01042011_01.jpg

Ahem?As a few of you figured out the Space Jockey concept art was in fact an April Fool?s from the pencil of none other than our very own amazingly talented Cellien.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2011/04/01/avpg-exclusive-prometheus-concept-art/

The Man

Once upon a possible plotline...

Earth. Year 2058.

Archaeological digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that humans were genetically engineered by an advanced alien race (space jockeys). These "Alien Gods" also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations. Amongst finds are coordinates to the Alien God's home-world, to Paradise. Months later the Weyland Corp launch the spaceship PROMETHEUS and its crew into deep space to make first contact. Thanks to faster than light travel a few years later the PROMETHEUS enters the Zeta Riticuli star system. Humans are greeted by their makers, then transported further into space to a scary yet fascinating world. The Alien Gods are proud of their "children", their first creation to reach such levels of intelligence.

As a reward they share bits of their astonishing bio-based technologies with the humans. But for one crew member of the Prometheus it's not enough. In a treacherous act he steals the "bio-source code" to Terraforming, a technology at the origin of all Gods' power, that could make humans equal to the gods. The Alien Gods may be scientists but are also ruthless conquerors, destroyers of worlds who will not accept humans as equals. They unleash on the escaping human crew their favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to "clean up" worlds before colonization. But something goes wrong in the process and humans manage to turn the bio-weapon against their makers. Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut eating creatures. Creatures that will be the demise of Paradise. What's left of the Prometheus crew manages to escape the doomed planet.

On their trail is a survivor Alien God in a very familiar ship with one ultimate mission:

Bring the wrath of the Gods to Earth.

Dr. Gonzo

The Man said:
Once upon a possible plotline...

Earth. Year 2058.

Archaeological digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that humans were genetically engineered by an advanced alien race (space jockeys). These "Alien Gods" also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations. Amongst finds are coordinates to the Alien God's home-world, to Paradise. Months later the Weyland Corp launch the spaceship PROMETHEUS and its crew into deep space to make first contact. Thanks to faster than light travel a few years later the PROMETHEUS enters the Zeta Riticuli star system. Humans are greeted by their makers, then transported further into space to a scary yet fascinating world. The Alien Gods are proud of their "children", their first creation to reach such levels of intelligence.

As a reward they share bits of their astonishing bio-based technologies with the humans. But for one crew member of the Prometheus it's not enough. In a treacherous act he steals the "bio-source code" to Terraforming, a technology at the origin of all Gods' power, that could make humans equal to the gods. The Alien Gods may be scientists but are also ruthless conquerors, destroyers of worlds who will not accept humans as equals. They unleash on the escaping human crew their favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to "clean up" worlds before colonization. But something goes wrong in the process and humans manage to turn the bio-weapon against their makers. Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut eating creatures. Creatures that will be the demise of Paradise. What's left of the Prometheus crew manages to escape the doomed planet.

On their trail is a survivor Alien God in a very familiar ship with one ultimate mission:

Bring the wrath of the Gods to Earth.
Wow I like that.

Montana Smith

What doesn't sound plausible is that the ship is named Prometheus before they receive the 'fire' of the gods. That just sounds too convenient.

The Man

Some whippersnapping wannabe film-maker just shot a piccie...

prometheus-image.jpg

"Ridley who? F*ck this acting gig! I'm goin' back on welfare."

The Man

"What I want to do is scare the living sh!t out of you..."

"It shares one piece of DNA with the original Alien but that's all. It involves a space exploration mission that finds a "civilisation that is home to some very uncivilised behaviour."

And will that planned PG-13 rating* limit Scott? "I have a responsibility to my studio, but I always make sure we have both options. You?re crazy not to. Tom and I will both look at it and decide what the best way of going. I?ve fundamentally covered our ass. But there will still be naked push-ups."

*:eek:

Dr. Gonzo

The studio needs to realize that putting a mandatory PG-13 on Scott (and particularly Scott on this film) is a mistake. let him have free reign.

The Man

Comic-Con screenshots. Perhaps it's the grainy quality, but some of these, tonally and visually, could have been filmed for the original...

162b028d8fbacc707c6a_21.jpg

162b028d8fbacc707c6a_9.jpg

162b028d8fbacc707c6a_17-1.jpg

162b028d8fbacc707c6a_8.jpg

162b028d8fbacc707c6a_5.jpg

162b028d8fbacc707c6a_27.jpg

162b028d8fbacc707c6a_4.jpg

162b028d8fbacc707c6a_13.jpg

162b028d8fbacc707c6a_7.jpg

162b028d8fbacc707c6a_15.jpg