Indy V Settings: What locations are left?

Pick up to 3 locales you'd like to see in Indy V, not necessarily as a group

• Total voters

Z dweller

You are missing the point.

First of all, any self respecting hippy back in the 60s wouldn't be seen dead at the World's Fair.

More importantly, as I said earler, if Disney adpot the Lucas approach they would make sure they show some hippies as a cultural reference.

Even if they choose the Fair as a location, all they need is to show Indy walking through the Village before or after and voila', here are the hippies in their natural habitat.

Raiders90

Z dweller said:
You are missing the point.

First of all, any self respecting hippy back in the 60s wouldn't be seen dead at the World's Fair.

More importantly, as I said earler, if Disney adpot the Lucas approach they would make sure they show some hippies as a cultural reference.

Even if they choose the Fair as a location, all they need is to show Indy walking through the Village before or after and voila', here are the hippies in their natural habitat.

You really don't understand how the 1960s worked, do you?
You also seem to forget George Lucas is no longer in creative control. He has no power over anything but basic ideas. See: TFA didn't suck.
The entirety of the 1960s was not Hippieland.

These are all photos from the Village taken between 1961 and 1964. I don't see any love beads or long hair.
greenwich_village_stories_01_112906206484.jpg

new_yorks_greenwich_village_cafe_bizarre_5181963.jpg

image.jpg

gv1.jpg

image.jpg

Hippies didn't really start appearing until 1965, 1966. And I really, really doubt Indy V will be set any time after 1964.

"No self respecting Hippie would be seen at the world's fair"...You'll have to run that by some aging hippie friends of mine whose fondest memories, prior to Vietnam, were of the World's Fair.

Last edited:

Z dweller

Since you insist on posting random internet pix as conclusive proof of your theory, you may want to check what Wiki has to say on the matter.

The word hippie came from hipster and was initially used to describe beatniks who had moved into New York City's Greenwich Village and San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury district..

I rest my case.

By the way, I completely agree that Lucas not being part of the core creative group for Indy 5 is not necessarily bad - but my hippie theory is only applicable IF Disney choose to follow the Lucas approach.
I aready stated this twice, but you decided to ignore the caveat for reasons that are unclear to me.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Z dweller said:
Since you insist on posting random internet pix as conclusive proof of your theory, you may want to check what Wiki has to say on the matter.

The word hippie came from hipster and was initially used to describe beatniks who had moved into New York City's Greenwich Village and San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury district..

I rest my case.

I think one concept evolved into the other in some respects - particularly a linguistic one - but are not equal to one another. There's certainly a visual difference.

I fear, though, that we're overstating the Lucas approach to period. I think the 1950s may have been a one-off case, with that period being a clear enthusiasm for Lucas, as seen in both American Graffiti and that 1950s diner in Attack of the Clones. The approach to the 1930s is not as stereotypical; there aren't any mobsters or bank robbers or any sign of the Depression, for example. The youth culture also had a clear reason for being included in KotCS in that we were introduced not only to Indy's son, who needed to be defined against the sweater and poodle skirt set we see at the diner and on campus, but to an older Indy, who needed to be defined against youth itself.

I think it's very possible we're going to see Indy on campus, because that's become the formula, but I don't think we're going to see him in the States other than that. They did that the last time. The World's Fair, the Village...I doubt it. And at any rate, we can certainly hope they get in some new territory.

There's more than enough to choose from...

Z dweller

Attila the Professor said:
I think the 1950s may have been a one-off case, with that period being a clear enthusiasm for Lucas, as seen in both American Graffiti and that 1950s diner in Attack of the Clones. The approach to the 1930s is not as stereotypical
I certainly hope it is a one-off, Attila.

You are absolutely correct that the approach to the 30s was not as stereotypical, and that is one of the reasons why to me KOTCS sticks out like a sore thumb.

My favorite scenario for Indy 5 is a standalone adventure with minimal references to the previous movies and the time period, set in remote locations almost in its entirety.
I can live with a brief campus scene, but would rathed not see any more U.S. based action.

Raiders90

I didn't mind the '50s-ness of KOTCS. It was no different for me than the intro of TOD or the Jazz in LC...For me Indy films are as much period pieces as they are adventure movies.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
I didn't mind the '50s-ness of KOTCS. It was no different for me than the intro of TOD or the Jazz in LC...For me Indy films are as much period pieces as they are adventure movies.

The jazz in LC is pretty low in the audio mix so as to be barely there; contrast that with "Shake, Rattle, and Roll" in KotCS. That's a difference in degree enough to be a difference in kind.

They are period pieces, but that is not the same as them treating period-as-genre. They are, decidedly, adventure films. Where they take place is as important, or more so, as when. I doubt that the 1930s suggested Egypt, where the Germans shouldn't be able to roam so easily, or Venice, where nary a Blackshirt is seen. I don't think that the 1950s suggested South America either. I think if the year has much of an effect on the place, it'll be because they want to go somewhere remote from certain tropes, not because they want to lean into them.

And in this thread, where is definitely the more salient piece, so can we move on from this?

I am interested in the question of the sorts of places that this fifth film could go that would broaden Indy's world and, to a lesser extent, possibly broaden an audience's too, giving them a story set in a place where we mightn't expect, or mightn't even know what it's like.

Last edited:

AndyLGR

Attila the Professor said:
He's been to, what, 13 countries in the films, at best? That leaves many, <I>many</I> more places that he hasn't covered.

I grant your point about ensuring some continuity, but Spielberg and Ford and Williams will all be there for that; that is, those who were in charge and setting the tone are still largely in charge, Lucas excepted.

I guess my question becomes this: do you think think Indy 5 will follow a similar path in that it will go to similar places (desert sequence, university sequence, etc.), or that it will go to a similar number of places (bouncing from one to another)?
Of course there are lots of countries Indy hasn't visited yet, I actually meant locales covered as opposed to individual countries that you touched on in your last paragraph. So I think it will follow that pattern of taking in as many combinations as possible of desert, snow, university, asian, jungle.....

Olliana

It's a lot easier for me to say what I don't want to see (again), and that would be jungles and deserts. I think these two have been exposed abundantly at this point.
They should leave out the college scenes this time as well. Maybe Indy is a retired teacher and that makes him a full-time archeologist, as opposed to the part-timer he's always been.

Z dweller

I cast my vote for Scandinavia.

This area would make a stunning visual change from the usual jungle/desert settings, and it lends itself perfectly to an archaeological quest, with the rich and fascinating Norse mythology*.

Vast parts of it are very remote and sparsely populated, and cultural references to the 60s could be kept to a minimum.
On the other hand, if Spielberg feels a cold war enemy is needed, it would be easy to throw in the Russians, considering both the geographical proximity and the Winter War (still a recent event in the 60s).

A dig in Scandinavia would be the ideal beginning for a globe-trotting adventure which then takes Indy to many different locations, maybe on the trail of a lost Viking artifact.
The Vikings traveled as far south as Spain, Sicily and Turkey, which gives Spielberg and Koepp a lot of latitude.

*Disclaimer: I know the Thor movies are already tapping into this realm, but it does not bother me in the slightest.

Z dweller

Finn said:
What, you don't like the idea of some Indy action in your neck of the woods?

Wait, I know what you mean.
You want Finland to feature in Indy 6 with an octuagenarian Ford, so old Indy can team up with a young local boy.

"One day Dr. Jones, when knowledge is stored in powerful computers, I will make sure your legacy is preserved for eternity."

"Sure you will, kid."

:p

Finn

Staff member
Z dweller said:
What, you don't like the idea of some Indy action in your neck of the woods?
What I rolled my eyes at was you mixing Scandinavia, Finland, Russia, and their mythologies and historical events into one single hodgepodge.

Well, of course, that would be rather typical Hollywood. Doubly so, since we're talking about a pulp adventure. Those are usually rife with artistic licenses.

Z dweller

Finn said:
What I rolled my eyes at was you mixing Scandinavia, Finland, Russia, and their mythologies and historical events into one single hodgepodge.
That's a bit harsh, professor Finn.

I actually visited Denmark, Sweden and Norway (admittedly not Finland, sorry) and am well aware that these are individual nations with meaningful differences in culture, history and mythology.

I was just pointing out Scandinavia's appeal as a geographical region for an Indy adventure.
And I only mentioned Russia in relation to a possible baddies' angle.

Finn said:
Well, of course, that would be rather typical Hollywood. Doubly so, since we're talking about a pulp adventure. Those are usually rife with artistic licenses.
Precisely.

Finn

Staff member
Z dweller said:
And I only mentioned Russia in relation to a possible baddies' angle.
Yet there was no reason to mention the Winter War, that felt more like someone trying to show his work - and failing miserably. It would be a lousy reason to excuse their presence two decades after the deed.

I'm not actually complaining about the idea of the Russkies strutting around Scandinavia like they own it. After all, we never had any issues about Nazis roaming around Egypt when it was still a British protectorate. Yet one reason it worked was because they didn't even attempt to handwave or excuse it - they just were there and that was it.

So if you need an excuse, "well, Russia's right next door" is all that's required. There's no need to include the history lesson at all.

But if you absolutely have to include one, get it goddamn right.

Z dweller

Frankly Finn, I don't understand the nasty tone. Did I touch a nerve somehow?

True, there is no need to refer to the Winter War to explain the Russian's strutting around in Finland - but I was thinking more in terms of them being after something dating back to those days.

Maybe some secret weapon prototype, hidden in a forgotten bunker, which they meant to test in that conflict and now want to retrieve (possibly linked to the macguffin du jour).

Far fetched?
Sure, but we are talking about an Indiana Jones movie, not a documentary on the History Channel.

Finn

Staff member
^Now you're just making it worse.

People displaying ignorance towards a subject that's somewhat dear to your heart? No, I don't see how that's not gonna touch a nerve.

That being said, I don't expect everyone to be an expert on the history of the region. Heck, most people who live in the region probably aren't. But in this day and age, we have limitless information at our fingertips, so if someone is going to talk about it, it'd be nice if they at least went and read a Wikipedia article or something first.

But even if we excuse your lack of knowledge on Finnish history - and let's do so, since that's not even my main issue here - you're still approaching this stuff in an awfully convoluted way. As in, Russians digging up some wartime weapon on the wrong side of the border is a lousy reason for getting Indy involved, pulp or no pulp. Indiana Jones movies are still quality pulp, after all. One thing that sets them apart from the run-of-the-mill stuff is that the characters' motivations and reasons for being in some place as usually clear. They don't just take random pieces, drop them in a pot, and expect the audience to be entertained by the resulting explosions.

So I'd rather have those pesky Russkies dig up some Norse temple in Sweden. It belongs in a museum, and so forth. Keep it simple, stupid.

Z dweller

I’m afraid your logic does not hold water, dude.

My forgotten bunker story may be convoluted, granted, but none of my posts denotes a lack of understanding of the main aspects of the Winter War, or justifies the ignorant tag that you are so laboriously trying to slap on me.