General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

TheFedora

10wm7tl.jpg

1g6qo7.jpg

The Author of these tweets is a journalist for Variety. Indy 5 is clearly off the table for now.

Finn

Staff member
TheFedora said:
Indy 5 is clearly off the table for now.
And by the time it's on, there's not much of a chance we'll have Ford as the lead.

And this is something these "Harry still looks good" folks don't seem to get. Yes, it could be agreed that he could still pull it off, if filming started tomorrow. But, alas... it's not going to start tomorrow. Or not even next week. Or in some other reasonably short timeframe. And it's not even news, really. Been very clear for quite a while now.

Drones33

Finn said:
And by the time it's on, there's not much of a chance we'll have Ford as the lead.

And this is something these "Harry still looks good" folks don't seem to get. Yes, it could be agreed that he could still pull it off, if filming started tomorrow. But, alas... it's not going to start tomorrow. Or not even next week. Or in some other reasonably short timeframe. And it's not even news, really. Been very clear for quite a while now.

I think you're right. The chances of another Indy with Ford are virtually zero. Sad but true.

Grizzlor

TheFedora said:
The Author of these tweets is a journalist for Variety. Indy 5 is clearly off the table for now.

Nothing in his comment proves that either way. The head of the studio is not going to confirm/deny a film's development status in a public sit down chat.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Grizzlor said:
Nothing in his comment proves that either way. The head of the studio is not going to confirm/deny a film's development status in a public sit down chat.

Twitter? MTV Movie awards? North Korean hacking scandal? There's no way in today's meta-connected world that a highly coveted property could be genuinely shielded.

Indiana Jones is dead . And will be for some time. That's both FACT and TRUTH.

IndyForever

By pacing ourselves he is referring to EP7 only & the other SW movies which are getting up & running although it seems the rumour about Harrison only doing EP7 is perhaps false if nothing is happening on Indy 5 then its 3-4 years away minimum :(

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Twitter? MTV Movie awards? North Korean hacking scandal? There's no way in today's meta-connected world that a highly coveted property could be genuinely shielded.
This, pretty much. While there's enough writing on the wall stating that they intend to do something with the IP sometime in the future, there's no way they could have something concrete going on and keep it under wraps.

If they were, say, penning a script, looking for possible actors, scouting locations... we would have heard about it already, official announcement or no. It's the Information Age, and stuff like that always leaks.

But since all we've got are vague rumors from people aspiring to be seen as insiders and nothing more, I'd say there are better ways to start a day than wake up and hope they've suddenly turned into an official announcement about Indy 5. Because once that day comes... you've seen it coming a mile away.

curmudgeon

Wow. Weighty arguments here tonight... and I'm not touching that.

I was looking for something unrelated when I came across this one, that I didn't see in the Raider archives.

http://deadline.com/2014/06/star-wars-mishap-sends-harrison-ford-limping-to-hospital-787779/

It's an offhand mention of Disney plotting another Indy film, in Deadline's article about Ford's leg. Nothing more than that, but I figure that's about as informative as any other rumor in the last year, whilst coming from an actual trade reporter instead of a rumor site.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Pale Horse said:
There's no way in today's meta-connected world that a highly coveted property could be genuinely shielded.
Sony's security was notably abysmal, while Lucasfilm kept Strange Magic secret until 2 months before release. The searchable internet is still just the surface of an ocean.

It's been a year since Marshall tweeted from the Indy office, so maybe they've at least put some posters up. More recently he tweeted there would be no news until there's news. Indy 4 news brought a decade of fan heartbreak and Darabont describing a "kick to the nuts" ...there's no reason to repeat that.

Here's the rest of the Variety piece: Iger said "I keep telling J.J. Abrams this is a $4 billion movie." Every night before bed. No pressure. Kind of important right now.

Le Saboteur

Grizzlor said:

Bob Iger is the Chairman & current CEO of The Walt Disney Company. He runs the entire empire. Alan Horn is the chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. Details to be sure, but they're important. Both men recently had their contracts extended into 2018.

Take Iger at his word. They will tell you if anything ever happens with Indiana Jones, but they have repeated ad infinitum that Star Wars will be the barometer of their success following the purchase of Lucasfilm. Nothing will happen with the red-headed stepchild until the receipts on Episode VII are tallied. Any real work on another Indiana Jones picture is a year to two out minimum.

Moedred said:
Sony's security was notably abysmal, while Lucasfilm kept Strange Magic secret until 2 months before release. The searchable internet is still just the surface of an ocean.

Cnet is reporting that it wouldn't have mattered what Sony Pictures' security was like. The malware would have penetrated some 90% of companies, and possibly challenged government apparatuses.

re: Strange Magic

January and February are dump months. It's going to really, really suck (based on that trailer) or has such a limited appeal that there wasn't anything to tease. Either Disney and/or Lucasfilm is probably contractually obligated to release it.

curmudgeon said:
It's an offhand mention of Disney plotting another Indy film...

I'm plotting my next vacation, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen anytime soon.

curmudgeon

Le Saboteur said:
I'm plotting my next vacation, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen anytime soon.

Where in my post do you see any thing that said I thought it was happening soon?

I'm just pointing out an article, no need to go all condescending "stomp out the aberration of believing the film will happen!" on me.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
re: Strange Magic
January and February are dump months. It's going to really, really suck
Probably. Maybe the project sat on the shelf until a lull to keep people employed. I wouldn't call it ill conceived: it should at least look good like Rango. Lucas always aimed a few grade levels younger than the rest and it's usually paid off. Maybe it will grow into a cultural touchstone like Nightmare Before Christmas and in 15 years theater students will still be wearing the merchandise... well there goes my credibility.

But seriously. Strange Magic was Lucas' last project as Lucasfilm CEO. He was the biggest hindrance to Indy feature story development from 1992-2012 and he's been replaced by Indy producers. It's a good time to be optimistic.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Moedred said:
But seriously. Strange Magic was Lucas' last project as Lucasfilm CEO. He was the biggest hindrance to Indy feature story development from 1992-2012 and he's been replaced by Indy producers. It's a good time to be optimistic.

How is this not a blatant Epic Ripoff

TheFedora

Meanwhile Latino Review is stubbornly clinging to their 'Indy Recast' rumor.

The writer of that tweet is from Latino review. And the way he describes it...'we told you before', is a bit condescending, a bit know it all.:(

Stoo

TheFedora said:
From an insider who's been right abotu some star wars and JW things...

Indiana jones 5.

Supposedly 2 more movies. With Ford.

----
To be clear, he leaked some Terminator Genisys trailer images, plus a terminator genisys trailer description as well. Paramount was sending cease and desists to sites to take them down. I call that legit leaks.

He also leaked some shots of 'chappie' and gave a jurassic world trailer description. (Which was how i found the guy)
This is very naive. Just because someone sees a trailer in advance doesn't automatically mean they know everything.:rolleyes: Distribution employees regularly see trailers before the public. It may seem like an "insider" with "legit leaks" to you...but it's not.
TheFedora said:
"For now"?:confused: This is a status quo because the situation hasn't changed. The same thing was said over 2 years ago.:rolleyes:

Funny how 10 days previous you were implying that Indy 5 was on-the-table because some schmoe had seen previews of other films. Take your 'tweets' and shove them straight up your you-know-what.

TheFedora

That wasn't very nice...:(

Also, I may have been misguided in trusting that guy, but Variety is a legitimate source, I've heard. And much more legitimate then that other random twitter guy. But what Variety said seems to be the case that SW is getting priority over Indy, and right now the big news magazines are only just now realizing that because they spent the last 2 days only focusing on the star wars news.

Last edited:

Silvor

Nothing Bob Iger said implies Indy 5 is not planned.
We already know Star Wars will release first. Why on earth would he announce Indy 5 in a interview?

Stoo

TheFedora said:
That wasn't very nice...:(
Perhaps...but playing smart = playing nice.:)
TheFedora said:
Also, I may have been misguided in trusting that guy, but Variety is a legitimate source, I've heard. And much more legitimate then that other random twitter guy. But what Variety said seems to be the case that SW is getting priority over Indy, and right now the big news magazines are only just now realizing that because they spent the last 2 days only focusing on the star wars news.
"Star Wars" taking precedence over Indiana Jones is not news...and you also started a thread about an incorrect "Variety" report. It's appreciated that you want to drop bits of info but don't do it just for the sake of doing it (without any basis other than: "I'm a popcorn-munching, sci-fi movie-goer participating in the rumour mill").

Grizzlor

Silvor said:
Nothing Bob Iger said implies Indy 5 is not planned.
We already know Star Wars will release first. Why on earth would he announce Indy 5 in a interview?

Thank you, I attempted to make this simple point, before being dissected by a team of Sigmund Freuds! I've also never said it will happen, with or without Harrison. I continue to stick with my statement, nothing will move until they have a script. Schedules are irrelevant until there's a script. And again, Iger is focused on Star Wars right now for good reason. Let's not forget that never was an Indiana Jones film shot on top of a SW film back in the day. There was always at least some time in between for the LucasFilm principals.